View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow Mounted Trolling Motor for 17' Montauk Question
msd58
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/09 - 8:15 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 9

I am looking for info/pictures in any who mounted a trolling motor to 17' Montauk. I picked up a nice Minnkota 55# Riptide.

Much Thanks

Edited by msd58 on 09/27/09 - 4:35 AM

bottomfish
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/09 - 6:15 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

There are plenty of pictures from many different members if you search this subject. The way I did mine is a little extreme but the end result is a spotless install and no bulky add ons. I also like the fact that it is bolted and not screwed. No worries of it coming apart. The wood is sandwiched between the rods and the plate. You can see pics on my project page.

Edited by bottomfish on 09/27/09 - 7:42 PM

todd12
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/27/09 - 6:50 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Take a look at my personal page.

Todd

Todd

msd58
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 5:21 AM
Personal Page

todd12 wrote:
Take a look at my personal page.

Todd

Thanks for the link. Can you you tell me in specific terms where to attach screws for the mounting bracket? i don't want to make any extra holes. I have the Minn-Kota quick release bracket.

Much thanks.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/14/12 - 1:14 PM

bottomfish
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 5:27 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

msd58, I also have the quick release bracket. I only mounted the small block to the bow. The initial is more work but it leaves no extra holes just the four that hold the bracket. Pics are on my project page. Good luck

msd58
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 6:12 AM
Personal Page

bottomfish wrote:
msd58, I also have the quick release bracket. I only mounted the small block to the bow. The initial is more work but it leaves no extra holes just the four that hold the bracket. Pics are on my project page. Good luck

I saw you work, very nice. But I am not looking to do that much engineering to the mount the bracket. But great job! : )

todd12
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 7:37 AM
Personal Page

Msd58,

My trolling motor mount would require you to remove the railings from your boat. I cut out a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate that acts as the mounting deck for the troll motor. As you can see I drilled 3 holes on each end of the plate and through bolted it next to the rubrail lip. That motor has been on the boat for about 9 years now.

Todd

Todd

bottomfish
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 9:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

msd58, I mounted my trolling motor on my 13' whaler the same way as Todd12. I have no bow rail on that boat. Just an idea you could drill for the quick mount then hollow out below the wood with an allen chucked in a drill then fill with epoxy. Redrill and run in 2" long screws. I did this for my bow locker hinges and wow it works great. Creates a solid block for the screws. Between silicone under the mount and 2" or so of solid epoxy to screw into I don't think it would have a chance of stripping out. Easy to do and should do the trick. Just another suggestion.

todd12
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 12:48 PM
Personal Page

bottomfish,

What shaft length trolling motor did you put on your 13' ? Is it hand or foot control. I just put a minnkota edge 40lb thrust on my 13' .It has a 45" shaft and is hand controled. It is probably a bit overkill but I bought it pretty cheap.

Todd

Todd

bottomfish
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 1:28 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Todd12, I would have to measure as I put that one on many years ago. Mine is a foot controlled Mercury trolling motor. Very old school but works wonderfully. The shaft is pretty short but it can practically put that boat on plane with just me in it. I also got this one for the low low price of free.

msd58
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 1:45 PM
Personal Page

todd12 wrote:
Msd58,

My trolling motor mount would require you to remove the railings from your boat. I cut out a piece of 1/4 inch aluminum plate that acts as the mounting deck for the troll motor. As you can see I drilled 3 holes on each end of the plate and through bolted it next to the rubrail lip. That motor has been on the boat for about 9 years now.

Todd

Thanks for the good ideas. However I would like to keep bow rails in place. I have seen quite a few with bow rail in place and a bow mount motor .
Just wondering how to fasten quick release on the step. I can see when I could get three of the four screws just behind rub rail like you did. I was wondering about the fourth one. Is the wood under there to put a lag bolt in?

Edited by msd58 on 09/29/09 - 1:46 PM

todd12
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 3:12 PM
Personal Page

Msd58,

The wood is their to spread the load on the fiberglass. I used machine 1/4 - 20 bolts and lock nuts. The other members you refer to have specific types of trolling motors that will slide into the water a certain way. The model of electric motor that I am using is different from those members. What model do you have ? Also, there is no wood in the step you are refering too. If you could post a picture of the trolling motor on your personal page.

Todd

Todd

msd58
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 3:45 PM
Personal Page

todd12 wrote:
Msd58,

The wood is their to spread the load on the fiberglass. I used machine 1/4 - 20 bolts and lock nuts. The other members you refer to have specific types of trolling motors that will slide into the water a certain way. The model of electric motor that I am using is different from those members. What model do you have ? Also, there is no wood in the step you are refering too. If you could post a picture of the trolling motor on your personal page.

Todd

I have a riptide MinnKota 55# 12v I uploaded that to personal page. In addition I was able to get a hold of wood locating diagram for 17' hull. It shows clearly that there is peace of wood about 24" long x 2" at the narrowest that the two inboard lag bolts can anchor to in the step area. I would guess I could bolt through the area just inside the rubrail gunnal area for the outboard screws.

I have the pdf of the wood diagram but can't upload it to this site.

Edited by msd58 on 09/29/09 - 4:26 PM

todd12
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 5:11 PM
Personal Page

My mistake on the wood located in the bow steps

Todd

msd58
#15 Print Post
Posted on 09/29/09 - 5:51 PM
Personal Page

todd12 wrote:
My mistake on the wood located in the bow steps

No worries. I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. : )

Edited by msd58 on 09/29/09 - 7:20 PM

msd58
#16 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/09 - 12:43 PM
Personal Page

I measured the footprint of the MinnKota Quick Release bracket; its 18" x 7" The piece of wood under fiberglass according to the diagram is 24" long. So I assume that I will be ok on the inboard wood screws. Just don't know how thick the wood is ?? The diagram apprears to read 4" but that can't be right.

Edited by msd58 on 09/30/09 - 12:44 PM

bottomfish
#17 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/09 - 12:56 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

If you are talking about the wood under the bow step platform I believe it is 1/2".

msd58
#18 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/09 - 12:57 PM
Personal Page

bottomfish wrote:
If you are talking about the wood under the bow step platform I believe it is 1/2".

Yes! Thanks.

Edited by msd58 on 09/30/09 - 3:15 PM

jaxmyth
#19 Print Post
Posted on 09/30/09 - 9:16 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

i just mounted a minn kota quick release mount to my montauk. it works very well although i do still have the front rail mounted. its not the quickest to deploy, but i'm not a tournament fisherman, so it really doesnt matter. i used the mka 16-02 mount. the way i mounted it, i had to drill four 1/2 inch holes though the step . three of them went through the wood, one didnt. the reason for the half inch holes is because i bought a set of "motorguide" rubber mount isolaters.i got them from west marine, but you can find them here(http://www.duskyonline.com/Merchant2/...ct_Count=7) they are shaped like a "t" but the mounting screws pull the rubber up to compress against the underside if the wood, creating a cushioned mount, as well as lifting the motor mount above the rubrail so there isnt any rocking. i did use some sealer around the rubber before i put the mount in the holes to sheild against water intrusion. it is a very sturdy way to mount a trolling motor especially if you dont use it very often. i'm still working on plans for the wiring of my motor which i think i will put a plug in the center console. i will try to take some picture soon. man, i was nervous making those holes, but i thought about it for awhile and double checked deployment of the motor and found a position i could deal with so i went for it.. im happy with the results.

msd58
#20 Print Post
Posted on 10/01/09 - 2:39 AM
Personal Page

jaxmyth wrote:
i just mounted a minn kota quick release mount to my montauk. it works very well although i do still have the front rail mounted. its not the quickest to deploy, but i'm not a tournament fisherman, so it really doesnt matter. i used the mka 16-02 mount. the way i mounted it, i had to drill four 1/2 inch holes though the step . three of them went through the wood, one didnt. the reason for the half inch holes is because i bought a set of "motorguide" rubber mount isolaters.i got them from west marine, but you can find them here(http://www.duskyonline.com/Merchant2/...ct_Count=7) they are shaped like a "t" but the mounting screws pull the rubber up to compress against the underside if the wood, creating a cushioned mount, as well as lifting the motor mount above the rubrail so there isnt any rocking. i did use some sealer around the rubber before i put the mount in the holes to sheild against water intrusion. it is a very sturdy way to mount a trolling motor especially if you dont use it very often. i'm still working on plans for the wiring of my motor which i think i will put a plug in the center console. i will try to take some picture soon. man, i was nervous making those holes, but i thought about it for awhile and double checked deployment of the motor and found a position i could deal with so i went for it.. im happy with the results.

Great thanks for posting. I too have the MinnKota 16-2 mount. You are about two weeks a head of me so I will wait to see your pics. How does the rubber t's anchor into the wood? Are they just an expansion type attachments into the wood? I especially want to see pics of the rubber mounts and your wiring. What is the proper side to mount motor? Port or starboard? I have seen both. I cast with my right hand.

Sorry for all the questions. My boat has been in storage for a few years while my son got a little older. I'm just very excited about geting my Whaler where I want it to be. I just got back out in the water Summer of 2009!

Edited by msd58 on 10/01/09 - 10:36 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 11:54 AM
Users Online
Welcome
andresj@bellsouth
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,043
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.31 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,220,775 unique visits