View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler 13
maxpower_hd
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 10:34 AM

Comments: 0

I thought I would introduce myself. I want to get rid of my current boat and move into something that is more in line with my lifestyle and interests. I am considering a 13.3 Whaler and have been trying to educate myself before I do.

I currently have a 17 foot MFG that I haven't used in the last few years and want something that is a little better on gas, is easier to launch, trailer and maintain compared to my old MFG and that is easier to fish off of and use in smaller fresh waters which is mainly where I go. Especially since I will be towing it with a smaller truck and using it mostly with my wife.

I think I have decided I would like a sport or super sport but am not sure of the differences since they seem very similar in appearance. And I think I have already decided I would like a 30-40 HP. I would love a brand new one but don't think I can really afford that right now. So I am going to likely get a used one priced somewhere between $2500 and $4500 depending on what I get for my old beast.

I have been reading up some and see that there are differences in the transoms depending on the years and that there may be concerns of water in the hulls, especially in older models.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which years are better or worse and what I should be looking out for? How hard are these to work on. I am a decent mechanic and have done some vehicle restorations so I can do all my own work. I would be willing to do some work on one but I would like to stop short of a basket case or something requiring a complete resto since I haven't had a Whaler before.

Any suggestions or information that would help me in my quest to obtain the right boat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I hope to learn as much as I can. I'm hoping to make a move next spring so I have a little time.

Dave

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 10:41 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Sounds like you might be looking for a 1973 or later Sport model that uses a 20 inch shaft motor or a 1984 or later Super Sport model.
The older models have a notched transom for a 15 inch shaft motor which is getting hard to find the motors these days as most engine manufacturers no longer make the 15 inch shaft length.

The main difference between the Sport and the Super Sport is that the Super Sport has a backrest and storage compartment for the main seat.
You can find photos of both in the Whaler Models section.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...allery.php

maxpower_hd
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 10:53 AM

Joe Kriz wrote:
Sounds like you might be looking for a 1973 or later Sport model that uses a 20 inch shaft motor or a 1984 or later Super Sport model.
The older models have a notched transom for a 15 inch shaft motor which is getting hard to find the motors these days as most engine manufacturers no longer make the 15 inch shaft length.

The main difference between the Sport and the Super Sport is that the Super Sport has a backrest and storage compartment for the main seat.

Thanks for the quick reply! That was fast!

So the pre 73 models all have the notched transom? That's good to know. That will eliminate a whole slew of ads. Can one simply ad the backrest and storage if desired? I can easily settle for a sport that's a good buy if that's the case. I will check out the link you supplied.

Thanks again.

rogerhoward
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 10:56 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 4

Definitely get a hull with the full height transom to support long shaft (20"Wink motors. I've got a 1976 and the only water I get over the sides is from the bow at high speeds in big chop - never had water over the transom.

Your price range is reasonable, even here in Southern California where prices trend high (compared with what I've seen online elsewhere). I originally paid $3000 for my 1976 with a 30hp 1997 Evinrude in great shape and a decent trailer - just finished restoring the old girl, including repowering, so I've probably put about $2000 into it on top of the original price, but that was more a labor of love than a wise financial decision.

rogerhoward
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 10:58 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 4

maxpower_hd wrote:
Can one simply ad the backrest and storage if desired? I can easily settle for a sport that's a good buy if that's the case. I will check out the link you supplied.

Yep - Specialty Marine and Nautical Lumber both have interior parts for anything you could need - I think both sell just a seatback add-on with storage compartment for the Sport to make it into a semi-Super Sport.

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 11:06 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

maxpower_hd wrote:
So the pre 73 models all have the notched transom? That's good to know. That will eliminate a whole slew of ads. Can one simply ad the backrest and storage if desired? I can easily settle for a sport that's a good buy if that's the case. I will check out the link you supplied.

Thanks again.

Yes, see this FAQ....
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...age_id=155

John Fyke
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 11:19 AM
Personal Page

maxpower_hd wrote:
Joe Kriz wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply! That was fast!

Thanks again.

I turned my 1979 15' Sport into a Supersport. There are vendors on this site who supply the wood. I used Nautical Lumber. Welcome to the site. Good luck.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

maxpower_hd
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/31/10 - 11:33 AM

Thanks again guys for the help. Joe, you already told me more than I learned in hours of searching and reading. So it looks like I should start looking for a 78 or later if I want a larger bow locker and definitely a 73 or later so I can use a more modern motor.

I think I will start by looking at 78's and up and see what I can come up with.

I'm sure you will hear from me in the coming months. I have a few projects to finish up, then some investigative work on my current boat. She suffered a little damage during storage at my mother's while I was building an addition. As a result, I may end up letting her go real cheap or parting it out. Time will tell.

Thanks a lot.

maxpower_hd
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/10 - 5:52 AM

After doing some more research I decided I would really like an 84' or newer Sport or Super Sport if I can find one. Looking at Whaler's web site it looks like they really only offer the SS now. I would have to check with the dealer but I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet so I haven't done that.

After reading many ads in the Northeast area I have noticed that there aren't exactly a ton of 84+ models for sale and when you see them they aren't cheap. The ones I see the most of, which still aren't many, are 2002+ and the prices make me think I might be better off buying new if I decide to increase the budget. It is more than I wanted to spend but if I put my $4000 down, the payments might be acceptable.

I used to go to the yearly boat show in Boston. It comes every February. Although I have never bought a boat that way, people keep telling me you can strike a good deal there. Does anyone know if BW participates and if the deals really are any better at the shows?

The web site says the base price is around $12,800 without dealer prep fees. Anyone have a clue as to what those run? Do they typically sell for the list price or can you negotiate like a car? I've never even inquired about a new boat so I have no idea how it works. I've only had used boats, very used at that. LOL Now it's time to get something I will have a very long time and be happy with the entire time instead of just settling. I will likely still get used but I would like to at least see if I could make a new one happen.

Thanks again.

Dave

Shrimpy
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/10 - 10:53 AM

Find what you want, make your offer and then walk out. Times are tough, If they have it in stock, and are making a buck or 2, they will sell it to you. Stay close enough to home to get your service where you buy.

Samurai Mechanic! HYE!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 7, 2024 - 8:31 PM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,310,422 unique visits