View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Hi, new here and a quick question
Metal-chicken
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/28/10 - 4:17 AM

Comments: 0

Hi guys,
I'm both new to here and to Whalers. I've wanted one for many years but the family ended up with a 23' cuddy Sad
Anyhoo, the sale of the old boat should be completed next week and the money has been earmaked for another boat. This time I'm looking for something smaller that I can hook up behind the car (Vovlo XC90) and take home from our holiday place where I can over-winter it under cover.
As we're in the UK there are not as many boats around as I'd like but I have found a '97 Outrage 17 II with a Honda 90 4 stroke on the back. I realise that this is not the ideal motor for this boat BUT I don't really have the choice of boats or the money to repower right now Sad
So considering this boat is going to be used mainly inshore for a bit of fishing, skiing and generally messing around with my wife and 3 girls (all under 11) - am I going to get away with the 90??
Interestingly the boat I'm looking at comes with 2 props so I'm wondering if they've re-propped for better performance.
Is there anything I should look for in particular on the Outrage II?

Thanks for your collective knowledge!

Edit: Forgot to mention...... the boat is already fitted with bennet trim tabs

Edited by Metal-chicken on 05/28/10 - 4:31 AM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/28/10 - 10:50 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Metal -

Welcome to WC.

I have read that it is hard to find many Boston Whaler's for sale in the UK.

Do you know what the tow rating is for your Volvo (US has different ratings than UK and European models)?

As you can see from the Outrage 17 II specification page, a 90 hp is the minimum engine horsepower for this model.

Based on this and the Bennett tabs, I would suggest the prior owner added them to help to increase the ability to plane the boat when loaded. It is a good idea given the motor.

As for the propellers, please look at the markings on the prop and post the size and any other numbers. This will tell our resident propeller guru's if they are right for that motor's gear case.

If lightly loaded with gear, fuel and people, the right prop, and a non-heavy skier, you should be able to waterski.

Your in luck, Joe Kriz, the owner of this website, owned an Outrage 17 II and can offer his insights.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

trionfale
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/28/10 - 12:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Hi Metal,

living in Europe, have a look at this.
Lake fresh water only!
Do not hesitate to ask for translation, if needed!
Ciao!

Phil T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/28/10 - 4:02 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

That link shows an error.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

trionfale
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/28/10 - 11:29 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

if you can't see this, visit www.e-bay.com and look for art. 260581362464.

Metal-chicken
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/10 - 1:35 PM

Phil T wrote:
Metal -

Welcome to WC.

I have read that it is hard to find many Boston Whaler's for sale in the UK.

Do you know what the tow rating is for your Volvo (US has different ratings than UK and European models)?

Based on this and the Bennett tabs, I would suggest the prior owner added them to help to increase the ability to plane the boat when loaded. It is a good idea given the motor.

As for the propellers, please look at the markings on the prop and post the size and any other numbers. This will tell our resident propeller guru's if they are right for that motor's gear case.

If lightly loaded with gear, fuel and people, the right prop, and a non-heavy skier, you should be able to waterski.

Realistically I'm not 'that' interested in flat out speed - if I can wakeboard behind it and take the family out fishing/playing then I'll be happy.

XC90 max towing weight with a braked trailer is about 5000lbs so should be fine.

Interestingly I'm at out beach house in Wales right now and had a peek at a Dauntless 18 in the harbour the other day. I then saw another whaler with a big cover on - it looked like a 20' but when I went to investigate it turned out to be another OR 17 II..... it's a small world! When I went to look at the stern I saw that this one also was fitted with Bennett trim tabs - must be a UK thing.

Joe Kriz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/10 - 1:43 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I owned a 1997 Outrage 17 II for a little while.
http://users.sisqtel.net/jkriz/Outrag...age17.html

Great boat that cuts through the chop much better than the older series in my opinion.

I had a 115hp on mine and thought it could use a minimum of 135hp. It is rated for a max of 150hp which would be perfect for this heavier hull.
I sure wouldn't want a 90hp on this model unless you are just trolling for fish.

Metal-chicken
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/10 - 4:28 PM

Hmmmm. And this is where I have a problem.
Ideally I'd have a bigger engine but do I go for this boat which has pretty much everything else going for it (good condition hull, brand new road trailer and fairly cheap) and accept that the engine could be bigger and repower when funds allow or do I wait for a boat with a bigger engine?
The problem with the latter is that I may have to wait a long time with the shortage of boats in the UK - and then the price may not be in my range. Sad
I'm tempted to go for this one to get me on 'the ladder'

number9
#9 Print Post
Posted on 06/01/10 - 9:58 PM

Comments: 1

If in your situation I wouldn't worry too much about the "lack" of power. The 90hp will limit your top speed but most of the uses you mentioned don't require over 35mph. Many times owners will have different props, using a lower pitch to get better performance when towing a skier or to wakeboard.

Bill...On the Ogeechee
1984 Outrage 18...Yamaha T50...that's right, 50hp

Metal-chicken
#10 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/10 - 1:33 AM

Hi Bill,
Yes I agree. My expected use doesn't really include 40mph dashes to often Smile This also fits in with my desire to get a BW before 2012 which is when another suitable boat may appear!

Metal-chicken
#11 Print Post
Posted on 06/02/10 - 2:15 PM

Oh well...... it's all a bit academic now as the vendor has decided not to sell the boat until next year Sad
So the hunt continues - maybe I'll get this boat next year if it comes up for sale again.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 7:52 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,441,051 unique visits