View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
13' New Interior Install Question
John Fyke
#21 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/10 - 2:22 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

theo wrote:
protek9543 wrote:
. . .Glass does get brittle over time.

. . .After time the fiberglass will get brittle . . .

??

Fiberglass resin, polyester, epoxy, polyester or otherwise has solvent in it. Anything with solvent gets brittle over time. Paint, Gelcoat, Resin, etc... Polyester resin, which the older whalers are made of are porous as is the gelcoat. Anything porous will weather and get brittle.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

kamie
#22 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/10 - 3:12 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

all gelcoat is porous, old gelcoat, new gelcoat, it really doesn't matter. That's why you need to seal and wax your boat.

John Fyke
#23 Print Post
Posted on 05/31/10 - 4:41 PM
Personal Page

kamie wrote:
all gelcoat is porous, old gelcoat, new gelcoat, it really doesn't matter. That's why you need to seal and wax your boat.

Yup, boat, car, truck garbage can, anything you want to preserve. Wax fills the pours.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

NauticalLumber
#24 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 5:48 PM

Comments: 1

jgortva wrote:
Mike at Nautical Lumber makes a great kit, but beware of using your original whaler screw holes in the sides of the hull. When I got my kit I simply placed the old side rails over the new ones and drilled thru the old holes to mark the new ones. Well, the seats and console are 1.5 to 2 inches more forward than the stock seats and while this is good for weight displacement it caused my steering cable to come up short. Steering cables come in 1 foot intervals so I was left trying to deal with the extra cable. Also the console is narrower and if you have side rails your 15 or 16 inch destroyer steering wheel will cause you to hit your knuckles on the side rail. I had to go with a 13 inch wheel even though I mounted the helm as far toward the boats centerline as the console clearance would allow. I am not knocking the kit, but he ought to include instructions warning people that while this kit is advertised as an exact dimensional replacement , that is not true. All you have to do is put the new and old side by side and you will notice the same differences.

Just FYI.
My kits are made from original kits, in hand, at my shop. I also have prints to back it up. If something doesn't fit my customers needs, you're always welcome to ship them back for me to alter ( if possible) or at least call me for suggestions.
In 3 years I've sold over 150 13' sport interiors and I've never heard of this problem. Im disappointed you weren't totally satisfied with your kit & would still help correct any problems you are having if its not too late.
Regards,
Mike

John Fyke
#25 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 5:55 PM
Personal Page

jgortva wrote:
Mike at Nautical Lumber makes a great kit, but beware of using your original whaler screw holes in the sides of the hull. When I got my kit I simply placed the old side rails over the new ones and drilled thru the old holes to mark the new ones. Well, the seats and console are 1.5 to 2 inches more forward than the stock seats and while this is good for weight displacement it caused my steering cable to come up short. Steering cables come in 1 foot intervals so I was left trying to deal with the extra cable. Also the console is narrower and if you have side rails your 15 or 16 inch destroyer steering wheel will cause you to hit your knuckles on the side rail. I had to go with a 13 inch wheel even though I mounted the helm as far toward the boats centerline as the console clearance would allow. I am not knocking the kit, but he ought to include instructions warning people that while this kit is advertised as an exact dimensional replacement , that is not true. All you have to do is put the new and old side by side and you will notice the same differences.

I just finished varnishing an SS kit I got from Mike. Everything was fine and great quality. Maybe your interior wasn't original or you made a mistake in measuring.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It

womms
#26 Print Post
Posted on 06/17/10 - 7:09 AM
Personal Page

I am sorry if I gave the impression that I was unhappy with my interior. Everything fit like a glove and the quality was top-notch. I was only asking for installation advice.

The interior is varnished, installed and has been used extensively since my first post. I am very pleased with the final product.

Oh, and BTW the answer to my question is very simple: #10 ss screws (I used 5 on each side). Thanks protek!

Michael
1989 Outrage 22' Whaler Drive, 2014 Honda 250

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 12:14 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,279,993 unique visits