View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1983 Montauk w/ Mercury 115
fgreen70
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/10 - 12:53 PM

Comments: 0

Hi all,

I asked for some advice previously on this site and was impressed at how helpful everyone was. It made me decide to get a 17' Montauk rather than a 15' Sport. Unfortunately, I missed some great deals in my area and the supply of classic Montauks seems to be dwindling.

There is one listed on Craigslist that looks good, but I have a couple of concerns. First, on calm days I plan to take the boat out for dolphin (about 5-10 miles), so I thought rails would be a necessity. Any thoughts on that? The boat in the ad has no rails.

When I called the owner, I asked if there were any soft spots on the hull or floor. He said there is a small soft spot behind the seat about the size of a dinner plate. According to him it is easy to fix, drill a hole and inject more foam. I've read, though, that it can be a sign of water getting into the foam.

Finally, the boat may be overpowered with a 115 Mercury.

Here is the address for the ad:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/1...36036.html

I would greatly appreciate any advice. He said he's looking for about $7,000 for the boat. I'm not sure if I should jump on it or keep looking.

Thanks so much!

- Fred Green
no Whaler - yet

Edited by Tom W Clark on 05/23/10 - 8:36 AM

John Fyke
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/10 - 1:09 PM
Personal Page

Spend the money and have someone survey the boat. It has been on craigslist for a while. Something isn't right. $7000 is not a good price for that boat.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/10 - 5:15 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

the owner seem honest, a lot of folks wouldn't have told you about the soft spot and hoped you didn't notice. You can fix it depending on how bad, do a couple site searches and you should find answers on that issue. The merc is either in great shape or ready to die, have the compression checked to decide and it's worth it to pay a mechanic to go over the engine. Plan on repowering in a couple years and figure that into the budget.

5-10 miles out in open water, I would want rails and so you either look for a boat with them, or price out replacements.

joninnj
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/10 - 11:02 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

If that that whaler was in pristine condition (or close) maybe 7K or more. I have seen them go higher. The soft spot on the floor would have me concerned. Not an easy fix, and much more complex than just injecting foam. The floor has plywood underneath. The missing rails may add add up to a thousand $... unless you can find them used. The montauk is a very popular model. If you plan to go out into serious water you absolutely should have the rails. I have 17 not sure if I would take it out into open water even a calm day... although people do take them out there.

Just my opinion.

Edited by joninnj on 05/22/10 - 11:10 PM
Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

MW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/10 - 5:02 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I'd pass on this one too, the above advice is accurate, I'm sure a 17' model could go out in the ocean but, my rule is nothing under 22' in open water.

Matt

HarleyFXDL
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/10 - 6:25 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

The best advice is not to rush into the purchase of a boat. I have made this mistake numerous times and have regretted each one. You will know when you find the right boat. Everything from the first time you see the boat to the negotiation to the month after the purchase it, you will be pleased. Take your time and you will be rewarded.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

Guts
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/10 - 9:01 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

I have had a merc. 1000=100hp. three carbs reeds are on the crankshaft on this type (old technology) This engine will EAT Gas like nothing you have ever seen. I would look for a good hull and put a new engine, I wouldn't give you two cents for that Merc. sorry Just my opinion.

Edited by Guts on 05/23/10 - 2:24 PM
Guts/AKA/Kim

Tom W Clark
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/10 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

This boat does not seem like a particularly good deal. At $3000-$4000, I *might* get excited but as is, I'd pass on it. There will always be another used Montauk coming on the market. Be patient.

Yes, you will want at least side rails on your Montauk. I prefer the Montauk without the bow rail but if you are going to stand up in the bow while offshore, the bow rail would be very nice to have.

Bake
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/10 - 10:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

There is always a good deal on a boat. I know it usually seems like they are a thousand miles away. If you wait and keep looking local to you it will show up soon. One sure way of finding a great deal on a boat in your area is to buy one you are not quite sure about. Once you spend the money I guarantee one will show up in a couple of months if not weeks. If you do not love it do not buy it. you should never have to learn to love a boat.

fgreen70
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/27/10 - 6:06 PM

Thanks so much for all of the advice! I have a question about getting someone to survey a boat. Who would I contact to do that? If the boat is 100 miles away from me, I assume I would have to contact someone in the local area (I doubt a mechanic would want to travel so far). Does anyone have any idea how much such a service would cost? Thanks again!

- Fred

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 3:36 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,420,401 unique visits