View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Repairing loose center console
flippa
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 9:42 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Last season the center console on my boat started feeling loose. It would rock when either pulling on the railings or under acceleration.

Yesterday while getting the boat ready for the season I decided to pull the console to corrrect this problem.

In researching posts here I initially thought that the 2"x2" mounting blocks would be the culprit. These were in fine condition. Turns out that the 1/2" plywood that is mounted in the sides of the console base are rotted. I was able to remove the wood on both sides in less than 10 minutes (it was easy to dig out with a pry bar & screwdriver). This leaves me with the two fiberglass pockets being completely clean.

Now I have to decide how to repair this.

I figured that the starboard may be an easier & more permanent repair. I was thinking of cuting it to the proper length, coating the existing pocket with 5200, insert the starboard, clamping it in place until cured & re-drill the holes.

If I go with the plywood route what would be the best method of securing it in place? Would I have to remove the interior of the "pocket" and re-glass in place?

Should I replace with 1/2" marine plywood or use starboard?

redron118
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 10:46 AM

Comments: 0

I own a fiberglass shop in Grant, Fl and as good as the starboard is, The 5200 will not stick to it. If you use plywood make sure after you cut it to shape you resin coat it and let it get hard before you put it back on to your console, You can use bondo to adhere it back to the console, the are both polyester material (resin & bondo). Do one board at a time so the bondo doesn't get hard before your ready. Then I would lay fiberglass over the wood to seal it. Then when you drill your holes for your screws. Move the console a little forward or back so you don't use same holes in floor make sure you seal all holes new or old with 5200, then put a bead a round the entire console so water doesn't get back underneath. The best thing would be use composite 1/2 inch Balsa extreme. If I had extra I'd sell you some strips but I think I don't have pieces that long. Good luck!!!

Edited by redron118 on 05/17/10 - 10:51 AM

flippa
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 2:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Thanks for the reply Ron

I was looking for a quick & easy fix in using the plastic stuff.

albert
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 4:18 PM

Comments: 1

when my dad and i made a massive jump with my dad's 25footer.
the whole bottom of the concole came loose,
where now trying to fix it but i don't know what kind of wood we should use.
any idea's

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 12, 2024 - 8:38 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Ddstree
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,080
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,399,596 unique visits