View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1987 montauk 17 with bimini and bow covers
darrenmolder
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 12:46 AM

Comments: 0

I am now a proud owner of this prestigious craft. Before purchase I had previosly decided that I wanted a Whaler as I was raised with one. Therefore, after a very long trip through some adverse weather & with a buddy to drive, I found myself armed with a bank loan for 5 grand & some serious faith & trust in the seller. One week before I had just had rotator cuff surgery and the seller just happened to be an orthopedic surgeon. Being unable to board the craft much less ride in it I paid for it in the dark not really knowing of the corrosion issues. The first stop after returning to Idaho with my new craft was the local boat repair/fiberglass shop. Needing addressed first obviously were issues regarding the gel coat and teak in poor condition. Normally with good arms I would attempt this restoration myself, however long story short & $2,700 bucks later I was given the boat back with the three cable clamps from the stern placed to hold the battery & steering cables un-attached and there were some brackets which were later determined to be from the bow splash curtain and are located on each side of the anchor well, in order to secure the front of the forward slash curtain. All of these were corroded & what was left from them had bolts attached to what appeared to be rubber expansion nuts attached to them at one time. Needless to say I want the correct fasteners holding such important parts correctly applied after paying that kind of money and the shop owner doesn't have any answers. We're all aware there is no way to fasten this hardware from beneath but there has got to be an answer and my boat repair shop has no answer to what was originally used and neither does the nearest dealer. Everything other than the repairs described the rest was done by me as that was pretty much all I am capable of. Otherwise besides the trailer being in need of a new axle & winch assembly, rims, all rollers and bumpers, wiring, lights due to the corrosion from the salt water. Although I have been told I paid too much she belongs to me and in my part of the country I would like to move forward and be happy with my new boat because I know of no others in this area. We live in the mountains and yes, I am whaler crazy to be using this craft in the glacial lakes and rivers here in North Idaho. Any ideas as how to properly fasten these items permanantly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Darren

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 3:24 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Congratulations with your new baby!! Post pictures when you can.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

bruser
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/17/10 - 9:22 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Congratulations and welcome to the whaler family! Sorry I can't be of service regarding the repair.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 12, 2024 - 9:59 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mphogan@782
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,078
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,395,052 unique visits