View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Great Lakes G2G in North Channel
cdnwhaler
#41 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/07 - 6:20 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Dave,
That cheesecloth advice from Don is some of the best advice I've ever received to make boating a pleasurable experience for my kids.

Most cottagers, no matter how late, will head to their cottage. They've been doing it for generations and can find their way in the dark without all our gadgets. Maybe a flashlight only. And you should see the scary shortcuts they use !

West of Little Current there is excellent cellular coverage. At the docks in LC it's spotty but as you climb the hill to the grocery store, liquor store and video store it gets better. Once you leave Spider Bay Marine westbound into the Waubuno Channel it's great and is great all the way to Benjamins. It was while sitting at the Benjamins I posted on CW a few years ago from my Blackberry and then Don called from Port Huron and it was like he was sitting right next to me for clarity. This coverage continues east into the Bay of Islands and west to Spanish and further. One quiet evening while the kids were watching a movie in Sturgeon Cove I spent an hour or so emailing back and forth to a local island owner in Michigan from my Blackberry but was unable to get voice contact? On his island there is absolutely NO coverage but if he heads out into the main channel it's fine. I suspect from the Mosquito Island you mentioned coverage is quite good.

Traveling east from Little Current to Killarney is another story. Killarney has no coverage, from any cell carrier. At least not last summer.

The current President, Scott White, of the Georgian Bay Association comes from a family island in McGregor Bay and I know they've been working very hard with Rogers, our large cell provider, to find tower locations to extend coverage. Coverage should be improving soon. Check the link and look under Communications, Presidents Email briefings. Also, when on their website open, or download, the current newsletter Vol 17, No 1, Spring 2007. On page 10 it gives you a map of the current cell coverage and the proposed coverage.

The Anchor Inn in Little Current has high speed access and provides a PC in the bar for email etc access. Free I think. And I believe they're working on having wireless on the patio so you can use your notebook should you want to carry one on board.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/07/07 - 6:53 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Home Aside
#42 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/07 - 10:31 AM

Comments: 1

Hello Everyone,
I'm planning on making the trip also, I have 10+ days of vacation and while I won't draw my days for sure until the end of June, "Seniority Rules"....
I have a Boat Trip Check List that was put together by Steve Farnsworth, I'll attempt to link it here for you, which I will do when I locate it buried somewhere on my computer......
My Dad does this when battling the Bugs in Northern Michigan, he puts a fabric softener sheet on his shoulders under his shirt......works like a charm....I stuffed them into all the crevices around the canvas on my Montauk and had no problems during the Georgian Bay/ NC trip....

lookin forward to seeing you all on the water....

Pat

cdnwhaler
#43 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/07 - 10:57 AM
Personal Page

Pat,
I had totally forgotten about that idea. Seems to me we used to spray some home kitchen product around gaps and screens at our cottage. Downey maybe?

Sure will smell better than the cheese cloth soaked in bug juice ! Grin

1984 Outrage 22

cdnwhaler
#44 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/07 - 8:55 AM
Personal Page

Guys,
Seems I may have shot my mouth off a little prematurely about the cellular coverage quality.

Our main cell providers, like Rogers, are quickly switching all systems to GSM. In fact they are offering free phones to their customers who are still using CDMA & TDMA telephones and as their CDMA/TDMA services i.e towers, break down they are not fixing them.

Because of my switch to GSM / Blackberry 3 years ago I'd not noticed an interruption in service.

So if you're visiting Canada with a non GSM cell phone you may have problems connecting.

Apologies.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/11/07 - 8:59 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#45 Print Post
Posted on 03/23/07 - 6:53 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I'm really looking forward to this trip....I'm plotting all the fishing holes on Google Earth!

David Pendleton
#46 Print Post
Posted on 03/30/07 - 11:56 AM
Personal Page

Pat--still wating on that Boat Trip Check List...

You find it yet?

1999 23 Conquest IO - 5.7L Mercruiser EFI

Home Aside
#47 Print Post
Posted on 04/01/07 - 10:34 AM

Comments: 1

Dave,
I just sent it to you in an e-mail attachment, sorry for the delay, talk to you soon. I'll also send it to Joe so he can possibly post it here...

Pat

Royboy
#48 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/07 - 11:28 AM
Personal Page

Nuts, it looks like I'm going to beat everyone up there by a week; I have a cottage rented on Drummond Island for the week of July 22 through July 29. If anyone gets up to DeTour early, you'll find me in the river between the green can and the Detour Reef Light every morning.

David Pendleton
#49 Print Post
Posted on 05/10/07 - 1:59 PM
Personal Page

Everyone still out there?

What's our headcount? Any more plans?

David Pendleton
#50 Print Post
Posted on 05/26/07 - 8:36 AM
Personal Page

Anyone?

Hellloooo...

cdnwhaler
#51 Print Post
Posted on 05/28/07 - 5:32 PM
Personal Page

David,
I have no idea what's going on and I've not heard from anyone about this trip since these posts. My time is very up in the air right now although I did just finalize my kids weeks at summer camp, one of which I have to be back in civilization for by August 4th of 5th. If I make it up that way it'll be in the last few weeks of July I think. Probably too early to catch up with you if the dates in this thread are still on.

Peter

1984 Outrage 22

David Pendleton
#52 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/07 - 12:12 PM
Personal Page

I don't know what's going on.

I have email out to Dave and Jeff R, and I haven't heard from either.

I'm trying to put my schedule together also. I may just have to pass on this one in favor of something a little more together...

Buckda
#53 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/07 - 3:58 PM
Personal Page

David -

I've not received any e-mails from you in the past month or so. You may want to check my address to make sure you used the correct one.

I just confirmed with my supervisor this afternoon that I want that week off. I am planning various projects around it.

I don't know who is in or out at this stage, but I know that I've bought some additional camping gear specifically for this trip, and am looking forward to it with great anticipation.

I've been traveling a lot for work lately...this site isn't the most blackberry friendly site - so my surfing is curtailed when on the road - sorry for the delay to respond.

Hope this finds you guys well and well along the way to planning to make this happen.

Not much more to be said until the days leading up to the departure. I still plan on leaving from DeTour/Drummond Island on Saturday morning. I'll be driving up Friday afternoon/night...should be there by midnight local and will likely launch the boat and camp aboard at Harbor Island that night - showers at Drummond Island Yacht Haven the next morning, as well as leaving word to them that I'll need customs on the return trip. Depending on wind/waves, will clear customs into Canada at either Blind River or Meldrum Bay - although I may just make the run all the way to Little Current to declare the crossing. I'll be playing that portion by ear and whatever others are comfortable with.

Cheers.

Dave

Jeff
#54 Print Post
Posted on 05/29/07 - 4:00 PM

Comments: 34

As of right now I have a lot of things in the air in my life and many of those have BIG question marks following them. This trip has become one of them. As much as I would love to say I can make it the odds at this time have become slim.

BTW Dave P. I still have the graphics and need to send them out.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 10, 2024 - 5:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Japakave
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,069
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,360,130 unique visits