View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Great Lakes G2G in North Channel
Jeff
#21 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/07 - 5:17 PM

Comments: 34

Dave....Of course the files you have are saved from Blue Charts Version 5.5 and I have 7.5. I can not open them. I HATE THIS PROGRAM....what a pain.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Buckda
#22 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/07 - 6:12 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Jeff -

I re-sent a file in a .mps (mapsource) file. Let me know if you have trouble with it.

I'm suprised you don't like the BlueCharts software. I really like the program.

David Pendleton
#23 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/07 - 6:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I suspect he's referring to MapSource, which all Garmin mapping software runs under. I use it for BlueCharts, City Navigator, and City Select and I'm not real thrilled with it either.

I really like Microsoft's MapPoint better, but it doesn't do nautical.

Anywho, can you shoot me a copy of the file, also?

Thanks.

Dave

1999 23 Conquest IO - 5.7L Mercruiser EFI

Buckda
#24 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/07 - 6:41 PM
Personal Page

Dave -

You have mail.

Guys - feel free to directly e-mail me with these requests in the future so we can leave this forum for trip planning.

Dave

Jeff
#25 Print Post
Posted on 02/04/07 - 7:09 PM

I love the blue charts but hate the Map Source software to use them on you computer. Garmin puts Mircosoft to shame when it comes to creating software that is only good for 6 months and the new version is out and nothing is ever backwards or forwards compatible.

Anywho, I talked to my father yesterday and it sound like he is back on again? Who knows. I know I am looking forward to the plan and with it be +1 degree F outside right now I am doing everything I can to think happy thoughts.

Edited by Jeff on 02/04/07 - 7:12 PM

Buckda
#26 Print Post
Posted on 02/06/07 - 3:01 PM
Personal Page

I have Aug 4-12 blocked on the work calendar as a vacation for me. That's not to say that it can't be revoked, but getting on the calendar is 90 percent of the battle.

Dave

David Pendleton
#27 Print Post
Posted on 03/04/07 - 8:04 PM
Personal Page

Back on track with this thread, it's been a while...

I've read quite a lot of what's available on the internet about the NC, but I don't remember reading the answer to this:

What is the organizational status of the area we plan on visiting? Is it National/Provincial Park? Private?

cdnwhaler
#28 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 6:27 AM
Personal Page

There are few National or Provincial Parks to be concerned about in this area except for Killarney Provincial Park if you make it that far. There is Crown land which you are free to use in most cases. There is Native owned reserves that you are not free to use. A lot is Private and generally it's considered a good rule of thumb and respect to not tie to the private islands nor to anchor within sight of their dock or cottage. Some island owners are downright nasty, some just ask, some yell at you.

While Richardson's is a good chart book it should be noted that every page in their Canada area is stamped with NOT TO BE USED FOR NAVIGATION. This is their disclaimer in case you go wrong or the channels & buoys have been changed. (which does happen around here) It's also less expensive for them to keep it up to date. This happened to them a few years ago when they printed grossly incorrect and dated Lake Ontario charts. The advantage to them, on our center console boats, is the spiral bound layout. Disadvantage is the cost if you don't plan on coming back to the area. If you're on Gambler for a cocktail just borrow hisWink

There is no substitute for purchasing the most recent charts from:
Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS)
http://www.charts.gc.ca/pub/en

The Garmin Mapsource software also tells you what the chart numbers are.

The next piece of important information is Ports Cruising Guides. Not just for it's pictures and maps but also for it's information about Park land, Private land etc. It has some great advice/dialogue about other do's and don'ts for the area. If you go to this link you can download a good sample page.
Ports Cruising Guides
http://www.portsbooks.com

[color=red]EDIT[/color] I should point out that PORTS is updated every 3 years, not every year. The information it provides does not need to be updated annually. Another reason to purchase the CHS charts.

Ontario Provincial Parks
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/i...index.html

National Parks and Topographical Maps
http://www.fedmaps.com/index.htm/index.htm

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/05/07 - 8:24 AM
1984 Outrage 22

David Pendleton
#29 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 9:17 AM
Personal Page

So, do we actually get to get off the boats? Frown

I wasn't going to buy a copy of Richardsons, but I was going to get the appropriate C-Map cartridge for the area. I wouldn't mind having a few of the paper charts as well.

Can someone post the most relevant numbers so I can order them?

The PORTS book looks interesting, as well.

Thanks for the info, Peter. You're planning on joining us, aren't you?

Buckda
#30 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 12:33 PM
Personal Page

David -

See my post from 1/15/07 for chart numbers from the area. (back a page)

I'm working to get landowners permission to camp at Mosquito Island (in the Wabuno Channel next to Great LaCloche Island). There's a nice little anchorage there unless the wind is blowing out of the SW.

The Benjamin's offer some great camping and I'm sure there are some spots in MacGregor bay where "beach camping" for overnight will be fine.

I'd count on using a camp stove rather than a fire though - like Isle Royale.

Dave

David Pendleton
#31 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 2:50 PM
Personal Page

Great, this was starting to sound like Deliverance. Wink

Stove works for me. I just picked up a couple of Colemans this winter.

Buckda
#32 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 6:14 PM
Personal Page

David -

Don't forget to buy a set of aluminum props just in case! Smile

Peter -

Thanks for the continued quality information from a seasoned camper/cruiser in this area. Will we have the opportunity to see you and the boys up there this summer?

Dave

Edited by Buckda on 03/05/07 - 6:21 PM

cdnwhaler
#33 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 7:23 PM
Personal Page

I'm in the process of configuring camp weeks for the boys and such this week now that I have most everyones dates. It's a hard call at this point. Lots going on.

Chart 2206 and 2207 both come waterproof now. If you're ordering make sure you request it. I'm not sure if they still even issue the regular paper ones but it's worth mentioning, especially for CC Whalers. To use one of my teens expressions, there are a gazillion places to get out and hike around David. I'll have a dog with me so I HAVE to get to shore. Snorkeling can be great in some areas.

By the way. Having real charts is the LAW around here I think, unless you can prove you have very good local knowledge. Like as in owning a cottage. I've never heard of anyone being taken to task on this but it should be noted. GPS's and Guide books don't count.

I'm assuming Aug 4 to 12th is still the time. Remember that Aug 4,5,6 is a long weekend up this way so traffic on the 2nd and 3rd could be slow when heading up.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/05/07 - 7:24 PM
1984 Outrage 22

Jeff
#34 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 7:32 PM

Looking forward to this trip....I was just out this past weekend honing my camping skills on the shore line of Lake Michigan. Hopefully it will not be quite as cold in AugustWink

Update on the crew...well my father is still a maybe and so is my friend Geoff. If Geoff does not make I will have to ask nicely as he has all of the expedition and mountaineerings goodies.

Vessel Gearing:

What types of extra boating gear do you guys think will be needed? Extra fenders, extra long ropes, extra anchors (danforth or grappling hook), etc, etc.

Budget planning:
Dave how many gallons of fuel and oil did you burn last time you were up there with the Merc?

Did you guys ever stop and have dinner at an Inn or Marina?

Launching fees?

Mooring Fees?

Canadian Fishing license maybe?

Launch of trip:

Where is the planned launch of the trip? Detour?

Edited by Jeff on 03/05/07 - 7:33 PM

Buckda
#35 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 7:47 PM
Personal Page

Jeff -

Last time I was up there with the Merc, we ran 630 miles, and I burned about 4 gallons of oil on to p of what was already in the full oil tank (if I remember correctly). I don't have an actual log of that time. I don't remember fuel either, but I remember averaging around 3 MPG, which I was happy with!

Dinner was almost always at a Marina or Inn. Of course, we stopped every night at a marina for sleep - not camping out at all except for one night that trip.

I detailed Canadian fishing licenses in an earlier post - I think it's a definite must - whether you're going for trout, salmon or pike/walleye or even bass or perch.

My plan is still to launch at DeTour - launch fee is non-existent ($20 season pass for Michigan DNR facilities) and parking is rustic there. I'm recommending that Dave Pendleton go a little more upscale there to have a deeper launch facility.

Mooring fees only apply if you tie up at a Marina overnight - figure $2 or $2.25/foot (CDN). I'll see if I can pull up some receipts from my credit card records to confirm.

As far as gear goes - I'm planning to have two anchors aboard, as well as extra lines and extra fenders that are thick enough to protect the hull sides if nestled up against a rock on shore.

I'm also bringing a tent for shore based camping and my dock-side chair (in case we decide to stay at a marina for whatever reason). Plan on the marina's charging for shower use - figure $2 CDN, and figure close to $5CDN per gallon for fuel on the water.

In a week, we can easily traverse several hundred miles in this area - depending on what you want to do or see, or where you want to go. I'm calculating close to 600 miles again, unless weather closes us in somewhere for a day - but even if it's blowing like stink, you can find a good spot to hide and still explore - and if it's raining - well....that's what canvas is for!

I'm looking forward to snorkeling in covered portage cove too.

Dave

Edited by Buckda on 03/05/07 - 7:58 PM

David Pendleton
#36 Print Post
Posted on 03/05/07 - 8:27 PM
Personal Page

I too am looking forward to this.

I'm going to buy paper charts to supplement whatever my C-Map covers. The PORTS guide book(s) looked amazing! I'm definitely going to pick up one of those.

No such animal as aluminum props for the BIII. New ones have gone up slightly to just over $500 per, so wherever we go, I'm planning on following you guys in...

How many people have expressed an interest in this trip, BTW? Did anyone include Paul (Cicada) and Suzanne, or Jerry (Spouter) in the loop?

cdnwhaler
#37 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/07 - 6:08 AM
Personal Page

Always have 2 good anchors. Extra long lines as well. If these links work here's 2 examples of how I spend the night sometimes.

In this first setting I have the bow tied close to access land. There's 100 ft line off the port spring cleat to shore. Another off the port stern cleat to shore. A 50ft line off starboard spring cleat to shore. A Fortress FX7 anchor off the starboard stern cleat. Under the motor is 5+ ft of depth

tying to the rocks

In this next situation the bow is again tied close for access but using 2 lines. Off the stern is the Fortress. Off the starboard spring cleat is a 100 ft line to shore. Off the port stern cleat a line to shore. Under the prop is 2 -3 ft of water then sand. I think I added another line to shore off the starboard spring cleat later.

tying to rocks2

Some refer to this as spider webbing your boat.

Most lines to shore are attached using rock climbing hardware as in chocks and pitons. In some spots you may find rings, steel stakes and pitons drilled into the rocks. Please do not remove. Some were put there by my father 30-40 years ago with help from his little kid whom he made swim to shore with the line.Smile

This will be prime time in that area. If you have dinner at a marina make sure you're staying there first because all available spots could be taken up. Otherwise I don't recommend dinner at a restaurant. It's best to find your mooring spots for the night early like 3:00pm or earlier because all the good anchorages will be taken. If you want restaurant food make it lunch, and a fuel stop.

Last year fuel was in the $1.20 to $1.35 per liter range. I'll let you do the math.

Mosquito Island has good coverage on both sides. But no matter where you are be aware there's a good chance the winds could change 180 degrees in the middle of the night. And typically the weather prefers to change in the middle of the night! A good reason for my goofy spider webbing lines to shore with anchors in the pictures.

If want the Ports guide I suggest ordering well before departure. It's great read and best done before you go.

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/06/07 - 6:25 AM
1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#38 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/07 - 1:02 PM
Personal Page

Peter -

I've been fortunate to not have had a problem with insects in the past, however, I know that when they're out, they can be legendary.

Do you and your boys have any tips for keeping them out of the boat when you're camping? Have you had any luck using citronella candles and/or the like?

I have a full chemical and physical arsenal (bug sprays, mosquito netting) that I purchased for the Isle Royale trip, and when we got there there were no bugs. Apparently they went on vacation when we did! Grin

I'm wondering if you've had any firsthand experience with "the battle of the bug" and care to share any "key learnings" from that experience. That is, if you're not shell-shocked from the experience still.

Dave

Edited by Buckda on 03/06/07 - 1:05 PM

cdnwhaler
#39 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/07 - 1:39 PM
Personal Page

Dave,
I'm unsure of the product names but I buy the best name brand bug spray I can for the boys. I only use the burning coils on board, not because I like them but because they're readily available. What ever you use remember it's not just the mosquitoes but the black flies as well. Bring thick socks and spray from the knee down heavily. The flies like our feet and ankles.

Mills canvas is wonderfully weather proof but not bug proof. A long time Whaler owner and long time frequenter of the the North Channel gave me this tip which has proven excellent.

Buy some cheese cloth and cut it into strips, then spray it liberally with whatever bug juice you have. Then stuff it everywhere you see daylight especially in the area where the forward shelter quite often isn't tight to the gunwale. This has proven very effective for us.

In the morning I wrap the cheese cloth up and store it in a tupperware type container for the next night.

And don't wait for dusk to button up. By then you're too late.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 03/06/07 - 1:42 PM
1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#40 Print Post
Posted on 03/06/07 - 2:18 PM
Personal Page

Peter -

How you manage to get those two young men to go to bed before the sun goes down is beyond me!

This makes my idea of a "curtain" on the shelter mission critical. I can burn a citronella candle on the console and then enter the boat enclosure and then hopefully give those flying hypodermic needles the slip on the way to bed!

I also have the cheesecloth strips. I believe Don followed that very same sage advice with "...otherwise, it will look like two blind guys had a knifefight in the morning."

That is an instance where the cabin of a Revenge/Conquest would be nice.

Dave - I know Jerry is following along to this thread. I think I mentioned it to Paul, but haven't heard from him in awhile. Perhaps I'll give them a call this weekend to check in. I'm pretty sure they'd be all over staying at marinas. In that area - there are generally two ports that have adequate facilities: Little Current and Killarney - and these aren't especially close together. I don't think the Birch island marina facilities are sizeable, although I could be wrong, since that is prime-time cottage country jump-off. I don't know if cottagers come up late and stay the night before running out to their cottage in the morning or not.

One other thing: re: connectivity. I was thinking about this today on my flight. Essentially, if you are leaving a loved one at home, they can keep in touch only via the modern day equivalent to smoke-signals. You could arrange for messages to be posted on the spider bay marina bulletin board in Little Current and then just promise her to check in every other day and return the call as necessary.

There may be a better way to get hold of you in an emergency (perhaps via VHF call from Spider Bay?) - but generally folks who go to this area don't want to be found while they're there! I'm giving work instructions to relay messages via Spider Bay marina, as I did last time.

Dave

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 10, 2024 - 3:08 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Japakave
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,069
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,357,539 unique visits