View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Great Lakes G2G in North Channel
Jeff
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/07 - 6:13 AM

Comments: 34

It looks like I will finally be able to head up and cruise the North Channel of Georgian Bay this summer. It looks like as of right now it will be myself and my friend (50/50) on my boat. My father is going to join up and will either bring his 22 guardian along or ride with me as well. I am looking for the time to be somewhere in the First couple weeks in August and thought I would float it out there for all.

Let me know if there is any interest. Also, if there are others who would like to go but would not be able to bring their whalers let us know as we might be able to work something out... Joe or Tom?Grin

Also other G2G ideas:
Memorial Day in Grand Haven or Frankfort.
4th of July or sometime around there for Frankfort / Sleeping bear / and Manitous
The Inland Water Way Septemberish
Lake Erie islands for a long weekend
any others?

Any who....just got boating on the brain since we just got or first snow the other day so I am trying to think warm thoughts.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Buckda
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/07 - 10:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Jeff -

Count me in. I'm thinking the Benjamins, Bay of Islands, MacGregor Bay (Pothole Portage is a must-see) and Baie Fine should be on the agenda for overnights.

Let's make it official:

URGENT COMMUNICATION

From: Fleet Command, Boston Whaler Northern Expeditionary Forces

Mission: 2007 Northern Expeditionary Force Objective: North Channel, Lake Huron, Ontario Canada

Mission Parameters: Camping, Fishing and Exploring the North Channel of Lake Huron, in and around Benjamin Islands, Bay of Islands, Little Current, McGregor Bay, Baie Fine and Killarney and environs.

Duration: One Week

Objective: Total and complete restorative relaxation

Launch Date: TBD

To Boston Whaler Northern Expeditionary Force Fleet membership:

You are hereby summoned to begin readiness assessments for a late July or early August deployment to the North Channel of Lake Huron. Assessments and readiness level reporting are due as soon as possible so that preparations can be made to ensure the fleet is adequately supplied and prepared for deployment.

A mission-specific checklist will be developed to assist each individual unit in planning and preparations.

Additional instructions, details, recommended equipment checklist and information will follow.

That is all.
END TRANSMISSION

Edited by Buckda on 01/19/07 - 3:01 PM

Jeff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/07 - 11:53 AM

Dave,

What charts should I pick up? I have the my GPS loaded with all of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay however, it is always good to have back up.

Also where were you thinking of putting int at? Tobermory?

Buckda
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/07 - 1:01 PM
Personal Page

Richardson's is a must-have for the entire area, however, it will be important on a trip like this to buy the actual charts for Bay of Islands, and McGregor Bay, at least.

Last summer for McGregor Bay, I borrowed a chart and still managed to mangle a prop and shave some gelcoat on an uncover. I was in the furthest backwaters of the bay though, really exploring!

Anyway, I just ordered a new GPS for the boat (Garmin 2210) and will be buying my own copy of the full paper charts from the Canadian Hydrological Service this spring.

RE: Launch point: either DeTour or Tobermory are fine with me - Tobermory is a little further for me to trailer and is a 60 or so mile run up to Little Current, while DeTour is more like 110 miles to Little Current, with a possibility for nasty Westerlies and associated seas on a return run (there are places to hide, it's just that it will add 30 or so miles to the trek). Call me undecided on launch point for now. I still need to scare up a crew member once we get a date set...perhaps Pat will tag along in his Revenge.

Re: McGregor Bay. The best bet on charts is to let someone else lead! Seriously though, when you get to the top of McGregor Bay (Iriquois bay or North Bay, depending on the chart), you won't believe it. it's like you entered a whole new lake (340 feet deep in places) and is truly a spectacular area. I just missed bidding on a cottage up there a few months ago...keeping my eyes peeled from here on out...

Dave

Buckda
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/07 - 2:11 PM
Personal Page

McGregor Bay is chart # CN 2206, available for about $25 from the Canadian Hydrographic Service.

Chart # CN 2245 is a good overview chart, including the Killarney area, but CN 2206 is the detailed one.

Chart # CN 2207 is also a good one, since it includes the Bay of Islands.

Here is just one source for the paper charts you may need.

Also the latest Blue Charts from Garmin should include these, although the resolution and perspective are better using the paper chart (as I learned last summer).

Buy the chart. You'll see that you can easily spend two or three days in McGregor Bay alone just exploring, fishing, swimming and relaxing. The other benefit of this area is that the water is about 8-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the North Channel. It is tannin-stained; the water is darker in color and is fed from some of the nearby rivers and lakes. Last August, it was pleasant enough for Pat and I to spend several hours in the water with snorkel gear in Pothole Portage, and when I jumped in the water to inspect the damage to my boat after grinding up to that uncover, it was not "shockingly refreshing" - I went right in and was comfortable. Of course, it was a nice day!

I recommend packing snorkel gear for this trip, if you have it.

Also, consider a ball-fender or two for sidling up to sheer rock walls to protect your gelcoat when going ashore. You can usually come right up to the edge and still have 8 feet of water under the keel. Sheer dropoffs!

This is a spectacular area...I'll see if I can't post some photos to my Photobucket account and link them here later.

Dave

Edited by Buckda on 01/18/07 - 2:39 PM

Buckda
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/07 - 3:28 PM
Personal Page

Additional information for this trip. I assume that people will want to fish as well.

For Fishing Licenses in Ontario, the best deal going is the Eight Day Conservation License, which allows you to economically fish and enjoy your catch on a day-to-day basis, however, it does not permit you to bring a large amount of fish back across the border.

The North Channel is in Zone 14 this year, and permits holders of a conservation license to possess (either physically or by consumption) 2 walleye, 1 bass, 2 pike (no muskies), 25 perch or sunfish, 10 crappie, 2 brown trout and 1 lake or ranbow trout, or 2 salmon and 6 whitefish.

Lots of options there for dinner, and well prepared, one Walleye, trout or salmon is a whole meal for a person.

Note: Brook trout and splake are closed to fishing all year.

The bass fishery up there is said to be really, really good. A conservation license costs about 22 bucks (CAD) plus the VAT tax, and generally is well worth the cost.

Home Aside
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/21/07 - 12:18 PM

Comments: 1

I managed to pull a quick one at work, some scientific bidding on my part let me take my furlough time split 1 week in February, one week in July, & One week in August....by a week I mean Monday - Friday, plus I have all weekends off so I'll have nine days off in February, Nine days off in July, and Nine days off in August....I definitely want to put some water under the hull of the Revenge....putting in as much overtime during the cold weather to fund trips this summer.......So at this point & time I'm in hopefully with one or both of my sons...

Pat

Jeff
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/07 - 10:25 AM

Pat,

That is great to hear. Looking forward to finally getting together on the water with that Revenge.

cdnwhaler
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/07 - 6:49 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Keep me tuned in guys. I'm just booking summer camps for my boys at this point so I'll see how it all fits. And although I'm so far planning to be further south this year I'd like to be in the NC at some point. Probably trailer up depending on the current fuel prices.

I'll show this post to GBayWhaler and Georgian Bay Boater since they've asked to be kept informed. It's a hike for them but I know they're keen to meet some more Whaler folk.

I honestly think you should tow closer to Little Current or where ever you want to be rather than Detour or Tobermory. Between the possibility of $ 1.40 a liter for fuel and very ugly weather I think it'll be worth it. If not in time then in cost.

If you decide to tow around the Canadian side of Huron and Georgian Bay let me know. I've been in discussions with an acquaintance whose company transports vehicles and and he may transport our rigs so we don't have to back track in our boats. For a fee of course, but it seems to work out and give us more time on new water and make it less of a marathon.

Peter

Edited by cdnwhaler on 01/22/07 - 6:54 PM
1984 Outrage 22

Buckda
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/07 - 9:16 AM
Personal Page

Jeff -

Have you zeroed in on a date yet? I'd like to provide notice at work in the next couple of weeks. Not that everyone has to be together the whole time. I hope to sleep on the hook most nights...I'll stop by Spider Bay or Birch Islands for showers.

Thinking also of spending an evening/overnight in Mill Lake for some real fishing action.

Wow. I wish I had weeks and weeks to spend up there.

Dave

Jeff
#11 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/07 - 1:10 PM

Dave,

I will call ya tomorrow in the morning...What time is good?

Buckda
#12 Print Post
Posted on 01/26/07 - 1:15 PM
Personal Page

Jeff -
Anytime after 9:30 AM ET. I'm going to be stuck in a service bay all morning having brake work done, then it's off to Wolf's for supplies for my projects...you know how it goes!

Dave

Home Aside
#13 Print Post
Posted on 01/30/07 - 7:59 AM

Comments: 1

Jeff,
Good to hear from you, I'm working a lot of OT lately to strengthen my Gas Fund for the summer and do some things on the Revenge I'd like to get done.
As I said I probably won't know for sure which week I will have off until late June, that being said If you've set a date by then, I am very confident I can bid for that week and get if for my furlough....as Buckda would say "No Worries".....something to be said for seniorty...Of course I think my Revenge 22 WT should get to know some of the other Whalers in the fleet long before August....

Pat

Buckda
#14 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/07 - 11:39 AM
Personal Page

Jeff -

Thinking on this further, I'm starting to formulate a rough outline of plans for getting to/from this particular rendezvous.

I'd probably be "on location" on a Saturday afternoon/early evening, after spending the night at Drummond Island yacht Haven on Friday night, passing customs at Blind River and running down Whalesback Channel, through Little Detroit and across the McBean Channel to wherever folks are on that day (Benjamins, Bay of Islands, Neptune or Little Current). I could even make Killarney by nightfall without a problem if necessary, if a group of folks is crossing the lake from Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula and meeting another group coming up from Britt (CDNWhaler?).

I'd return to Drummond Island the following Saturday morning to spend Sat. Night at the Yacht Haven (and allow time to clear customs) before returning home on Sunday.

Thoughts?

Jeff
#15 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/07 - 3:29 PM

Dave,

I am going to head home tonight and get on my garmin mapping program to have a look around these areas. It all some fine to me as I have never been up there. Have you heard anything from John Flook, Don McIntrye, Jim, or others as to when they are going to be up there. What is your vote Last weekend in July to start or start on Aug 10th?

Buckda
#16 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/07 - 4:28 PM
Personal Page

I know approximately when John Flook is planning to be up at Neptune, and approximately when JimH is planning to be up there, and approximately when Don is planning to be at Northernaire Lodge (on Manitoulin in Bayfield Sound) as well. If we go the first week of August, we may overlap with all of them at some point or another. If we go the week of the 11-19th, we will miss at least some of them, if not all.

I know Dave Pendleton is considering coming over from MN as well. I'll advise him to talk to GEP about how long it is to DeTour- I think Mike spent 14-15 hours to get there in 2004. The UP stretches on forever, it seems. Nice thing for him though is that at the 12 hour point there are a few nice lakeside/roadside stops (on US-2) that would be nice to stop at and sleep in the boat cabin, if necessary. He could get up and still catch me at Drummond Island no problem.

Dave

David Pendleton
#17 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/07 - 11:59 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I haven't logged in here in ages...

Yes, I am in for a North Channel trip. MapPoint indicates my drive time to DeTour would be ~10 hours. I don't much care if it's a few hours more.

I'll stay tuned...

Dave

1999 23 Conquest IO - 5.7L Mercruiser EFI

Jeff
#18 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/07 - 12:12 PM

So,

#1 July 28th - Aug 5th

OR

#2 Aug 4th - Aug 12th

I would be up for #1....I would kind of like to run across others for the GLBWCC while up there.

Dave, Have you heard anything for Larry as of late?

Buckda
#19 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/07 - 3:02 PM
Personal Page

David -

Talk to Mike Gephart if you get a chance. I think it took him much longer than anticipated to get across the UP.

Jeff -

Any reason you're avoiding Aug. 4-12? Just curious. I'm putting in for the week of July 4 and am trying to determine if it would be better to put an extra week in between the two vacations, or to just have "two weeks" in July!

Are you using Garmin software? I can e-mail you a .gdb file with the route across the north channel, starting at Drummond Island Yacht Haven, stopping at Blind River and again at Neptune Island (to see if John is home) and finishing at Spider Bay Marina in Little Current. If not planning to stop at Neptune, we can save some time and go directly to Little Current. Mileage is about the same though, as Blind River is along the way (avoiding the prevailing winds and looking for best scenery).

Dave

Jeff
#20 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/07 - 8:39 AM

No Dave the 4 - 12 is fine also. We can plan for that.

Yes I am using Garmin Map Source so email the file. I really do not like the Damn program. I may have to give you a ring if I can not load your file.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 4:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
davsab95
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,067
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.27 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,345,693 unique visits