View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Filling a Void Under Gel Coat
brorobin
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/10 - 7:30 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

On my 13 sport about half way back on the port side there is series of six screws on the inside of the gunnel near the top, two rows of three. On the top of the gunnel in the flat portion beside the white portion of the rubrail there is eight screws. All of these had plastic mollies through the gelcoat where the screws are placed.
I took the screws out and the mollies just pushed inside under the gelcoat. The foam is hollowed out under the gelcoat. It seems to be an area of about two inches by three inches cube. (This area can vaguely be seen in the last photo on my personal page.
QUESTION: How should I fill the void under there? Should I try and pump/squeeze epoxy in there through the screw holes (I would mask off the holes that are vertical so the epoxy would not run out.) Or should I cut open the area from the top and put liquid/spray foam?
Any advise would help.
I'll try and add a close up photo in the morning.

Robin Chaplin
1972 13 Sport - 1994 25hp Mercury
It was my Dad's, now it's Mine, one day I'll pass it down, 'til then it's Happy Whalering.

John Fyke
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/10 - 8:41 PM
Personal Page

You can thicken epoxy with cabosil and sand it smooth. Then topcoat if youlike.

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/29/10 - 8:58 PM

Comments: 16

On the Boston Whaler Owners Club website there are specific instructions from the Company on how to make such a repair.

They say to use polyester resin, not epoxy.

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/10 - 3:38 AM
Personal Page

Many have used Gorilla Glue with great success for filling vertical holes drilled into your Whaler. It is catalyzed by water or dampness, and will completely fill the void in the foam as the glue expands. It can be used on horizontal holes also, but the hole must be sealed with tape and pressure while the expanding glue does its job. Some have used MarineTex or Bondo, but its difficult to completely fill the void in this manner. It should be used over the Gorilla Glue filled hole to create a new finished surface. Filling a void with polyester resin? That's a new one to me. How is that done?

Rich

HarleyFXDL
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/10 - 5:26 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

I used a $2 turkey baster that looks like a big hypodermic needle. I sucked up the resin and injected it into the hole after hollowing it out with a hex key attached to a drill.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

brorobin
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/10 - 4:45 PM
Personal Page

Rain came in today and I did not have a chance to work on the screw holes. (I did tape over them before the rain fell.)

I posted a couple of photos on my personal page, the last two on the page.

Rich, if you don't mind give me a little more info on the --Many have used Gorilla Glue with great success for filling vertical holes drilled into your Whaler. It is catalyzed by water or dampness, and will completely fill the void in the foam as the glue expands. Are you saying add water after adding the GG?

Kevin, what type of resin and hardner did you use?

Thanks for all the input.

Robin Chaplin
1972 13 Sport - 1994 25hp Mercury
It was my Dad's, now it's Mine, one day I'll pass it down, 'til then it's Happy Whalering.

modenacart
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/10 - 1:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I filled a bunch of holes with polyester resin and Colloidal Silica, or Cabosil, both are the same I believe. If you plan on gelcoating over it, I would use polyester resin and not epoxy because gelcoat may not stick to the epoxy. Whaler recommends a polyester based resin.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 12, 2024 - 5:22 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Diepoo
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,079
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,398,257 unique visits