View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1971 Boston Whaler Outrage Question
way2goofy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 7:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hello Everyone,

I am a "Newbie" on Whaler Central but have been a Whaler fan and owner since 1976. I started out with a 13' Whaler and traded for a 15' Sport and still own that today with a 70HP Yamaha.

My question is there is a 1971 Boston Whaler Outrage forsale near me and from the pictures is not in bad shape. I love the look of the "ribbed" Outrage. It does need some work but overall it looks in not too bad of shape. I'm a woodworker and not afraid to restore the teak and there is a very good boat repair facility near me that does fiberglass repairs and gelcoat work. THe keel has dings in the gelcoat down to the fiberglass from running the bow up on rocks. There are a few dings on the bottom of the transom but nothing bad. Would it be worth the effort to buy and try to restore the Outrage to its full glory? I'm a fisherman and it doesn't have to be pristene for me to be happy. The only other things are the engine a 200 HP Johnson and the trailer, a single axle original to the boat. The seller said the motor runs ?? Can you safely tow a boat that size any distance on a single axle trailer? I make trips to N. Wisconsin and Canada every year and want no problems with the trailer. I'm just mulling over what I would pay and trying to convince "the little woman" to let me buy the boat. There is much I don't know about the Outrage. Did they have built in gas tanks? I'm prattling and just wondering if it would be worh the risk. Any opinions would be appreciated.

gigem
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 7:31 AM

Is this the boat in question?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa...0520623430

way2goofy
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 8:03 AM
Personal Page

Yes gigem - What do you think? The pics. won't enlarge for a better look.

womms
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 9:01 AM
Personal Page

I would definitely take a look at it if it is close. My boat is siting on its original single axle trailer, but I do not tow it long distances. If you do a lot of extended trips, you may want to budget for a better trailer.

One good thing about the ribsides is the fact that they did not have internal fuel tanks. That eliminates one PITA project.

I would have a mechanic check over the outboard if that is an option. Repowering any boat is expensive.

Good luck!

Michael
1989 Outrage 22' Whaler Drive, 2014 Honda 250

way2goofy
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 9:31 AM
Personal Page

The seller said the fuel tanks had been removed. I'd either have to put in new internal tanks or go with an external tank in the rear. The 15' Sport I have now has a 27 gal. tank under the raised bench seat. It was that or use 3 - 6 gal. tanks. Taking the trip to Canada every year and the distances we travel you have to have plenty of gas.

gigem
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 11:24 AM

Any idea what he wants for the boat, or what the reserve is on the auction?

Would it be worth the effort to buy and try to restore the Outrage to its full glory?

If by "worth it", you mean would you be able to sell the boat for more than you have in it, the answer is probably not. Especially if you are going to pay someone to do the work for you. If you take that line of thinking, try to keep the boat as original as possible, that will maximize the value down the road.

But as far as a boat to own and run, I say heck yes! I prefer the later style banana boats (like my 1977), but the ribsides are cool! If the hull doesn't have water in it, and you can buy it for a good price, I'd say go for it!

How old is that motor?I'd be hoping to buy that boat for under $5000, assuming it needs a repower...

Not a big fan of the single axle trailer either...

Jeff
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 12:25 PM

Comments: 34

I had high res photos of the boat emailed to me from a prospective buyer who you interested in buying it but, wanted an opinion. It is rough and the seller was asking $5500 on craigslist and was firm at that price. So, I assume that is the reserve on it. I would expect to be at the $3000 range considering it is a complete refurb. Even then you would be over paying a bit.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Finnegan
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 1:20 PM

Comments: 16

I think the boat looks pretty good, all original, never bottom painted, IL frest water use, and not cobbed up with a lot of holes and junk like so many are. And it doesn't need to be painted like most do! The $5500 price seems like a bargain to me, even if the trailer and engine are no good. The seller clearly had no idea what it's worth.

These boats in original equipment condition are increasingly rare. It looks to me like that boat could be restored to beautiful condition, in spite of some professional glass work required on the keel. The only question is the condition of the floor non-skid, and if it can be cleaned up nicely.

If you're looking for a complete, functioning package for 4K, forget it,. but if you're looking for a classic to restore and keep, and have the money, this one looks like a great start.
For 15K you could have a collector's item.

This model never had a built-in fuel tank. If I didn't already have one, plus the time to work on it, I'd buy that boat myself.

way2goofy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 1:58 PM
Personal Page

I really do appreciate everyones opinion and advice. I've been shotdown several times on EBAY at the last minute. I was bidding on a late 70's 17' Montauk in Grand Forks, ND just before the economy went to hell. It was a clean boat with newer motor and well cared for. I even had a friend lined up to go for the ride. I should have pumped up my max. price and would have won the auction. I was outbid by $100 with seconds to go.

I'm still scratching my head and haven't talked to my wife yet. I'll talk to her and watch the auction this evening.

Thanks again everyone. If not I'll just sqeeze 3 of us in the 15' Sport and it will have to do. You know what I mean by sqeeze, 3 tackles boxes, several bait buckets, 6 poles and 12 pk. cooler with shorelunch.
Plus 2 deep cell patteries for trolling motor plus the start battery.

womms
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 1:58 PM
Personal Page

Yeah, goof, the '71 model came with removable saddle tanks (I think 12 gal a piece) and the smooth-side version came with a below-deck 40 gal tank.

If Larry (Finnegan) sees something of interest in this hull, I would take a look at it. He has a good eye for these hulls.

Michael
1989 Outrage 22' Whaler Drive, 2014 Honda 250

scrimshaw
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 2:39 PM

This boat was fitted with twin 19 gallon factory saddle tanks at one time evidenced by the fuel gauge sites in the gunnel. Looks like the hard to find parts are all there. I've seen these in worse shape restored to head turning condition.

Mark Sr
#12 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 4:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have wondered what the two glass windows on my boat's gunnels were for. I think my gauges are gone though. My '71 has the twin 19 tanks.

Mark
1971 Outrage 21, Twin 1999 Johnson 70s

Jeff
#13 Print Post
Posted on 04/26/10 - 5:49 PM

Here are the images I received from a guy I know who was interested in purchasing it. I would not pay $5500 for it but to each their own. Putting your money down to buy it says more than words here though. If you really think it is a deal buy it and spend the time restoring it. It is not going to be cheap and that is why I hold at no more that 3k. Myself, I could see 3 years and 10 thousand easy if you do all the work yourself and get used power and a used trailer. You could have it done faster if you are willing to pay double or more to have someone else do it.

Do not get me wrong. I love the 21 ribsides and I have done my fair share of project but, for $5500 today you can get a lot of nice Whalers that are not projects and would get you on the water.

If it really was such a deal, why has it been for sale for about 12 months now? I would inspect it in person to know exactly what you are getting into.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/...20ribside/

Edited by Jeff on 04/26/10 - 5:51 PM

sraab928
#14 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/10 - 3:30 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

I offered $4k on this boat a few months ago and was turned down. Having gone the total restoration route on one of these classics I could vouch for the serious money and time involved in a proper restoration.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

HarleyFXDL
#15 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/10 - 4:52 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

I have to agree with everyone. I am restoring my Outrage and it takes a lot of money and time and my boat was a complete boat with a like new engine. If you don't plan on doing most, if not, all the work on the boat, in my opinion, I would pass on it.

Edited by HarleyFXDL on 04/27/10 - 4:53 AM
Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

way2goofy
#16 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/10 - 7:16 AM
Personal Page

I really do appreciate everyones feedback. I think I would tackle the restoration if I had the room to do the work. Living in a surburan neighborhood with a 2 car attached garage it would really be a task. Several have said it wouldn't even fit in the garage and I would have to agree. I am going to pass on the boat but it still has my heart pounding!

I am going to keep looking and hope another Whaler comes along in better condition. I've been trying to stretch my 15' Sport into a 17' or bigger for almost 30 years. I can wait a little longer. I've always loved the
older 17' Montauks but have asked Jeff & Larry (Finnegan) if I'd gain that much more room over the 15'.
Any more feedback on that would be appreciated.

Jeff
#17 Print Post
Posted on 04/27/10 - 8:58 AM

John I sent you a detailed email but yes, you will see a large improvement space and usability of a 17 over a 15. I have owned 2 17' hulls, one a classic Montauk and the other is a Newport. Both are great boats and provide a lot more capability than the old 15' Super Sport we used to have. The 17' hull offers large open water viability and honestly the boat can take sea conditions beyond what you are willing to put it through.

If you are looking to keep a boat in the garage you may be able to consider a Classic 17 I or post classic 17 Outrage II and the Classic 18 Outrage (later the 19 Outrage II and III depending on the year). If you are looking for a little bit project I do know of an 18' hull in good condition, with the OEM console, leaning post, nice tandem trailer and no power in South West Michigan at a very fair price.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 5:15 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Northo55
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,042
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.29 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,215,588 unique visits