View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Checking out a 13' 1980, what to look for
wegngis
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/10 - 2:09 PM

Comments: 0

If this has been discussed already, I apologize. I've searched & searched the forums but to no avail....

A local is listing a 13' Boston Whaler "Mustang" with trailer for $1250. From what I gather, there is no such thing as a Mustang and it's most likely a Sport Series. I have not looked at it yet, nor have I seen and pictures. It's got a recently overhauled late 80s Johnson 35 on it.

Now on to my question. When I go look at it, what should I be looking for? Any big "gotchas" that I can avoid I would love to. I know very little about the Whalers in general, although I know their reputation is great and I always hear great things. Seller lives on the river, so I'm worried about whether or not he took it out and beat it up on the rocks. I know a little about boats, learning more & more as time goes on. I own a crappy 14' fiberglass tub of a boat and looking to upgrade.

Thanks!

kamie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/10 - 7:38 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Welcome to WC

If you look in the downloads section of the site you will find an inspection check list that is very helpful when looking at a boat. the first thing I would look for is the HIN. That will tell you if it's really a whaler, or a bad knock off.

The next thing to do it review personal pages and the whaler model specs so you know what a real 1980's whaler looks like. Take a lot of photo's if you go see it, most folks can help you with the ID it's it's really a whaler

John Fyke
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/23/10 - 8:48 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

One of the most important things to check when buying a used Whaler is to see if it is water logged. This paticular boat will not be easy since it is rigged. Water logged Whalers are useless. If this person lived on a river and kept it in the water it could very well be depending on the hull condition.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 1, 2024 - 9:58 PM
Users Online
Welcome
BradyDahms
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,040
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.28 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,209,623 unique visits