View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
63 Currituck Wiring Question
Roland
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/19/10 - 4:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi There,

First time newbie here......

I just recently picked up a 63 Currituck, and I have a rather small question to start with....

Where do you run the wire for the bow light and stern light??

I've just has the hull refinished, and I can't find where the wire runs......

Any help would be appreciated.... and hopfully I've posted this question in the proper area.

Roland

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/21/10 - 3:25 PM

Barryg
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/10 - 6:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hey Roland, welcome to WC. I have found that many run behind the rubrail to the front. Some have an electrical junction box located near the stern on either side. Behind the junction box is a hole that leads behind the rubrail and then to the front. I replace all the wires when I replace a rubrail . hope this helps. BG

tom blinstrub
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/10 - 11:24 AM
Personal Page

some of the older hulls have the wire in the hull. Look where the bow light is mounted. If the boat never had lights there would be a small plug. Under the plug there is a thimble size cavity and there should be three wires there. Two are to be used and the other is a spare in case one wire fails. The same plug should be in the back of the boat near the light . You would be lucky if the wires were still good after all these years. If not put them under the rubrail.

Roland
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/10 - 4:31 PM
Personal Page

Hi There,
Thanks for the reply I really appreciate your input. You were right, there are 3 wires under the front light, and 2 at the rear, but yes they look in rough shape. So look like I'll be ordering a rub rail and running new wires there. I just had the hull refinished...and he finished over the rub rail. Hopefully I can put a new rub rail on, without having to cut the old one out of the new finish, to do the wiring!! Whew....
You were very helpful, thanks for taking the time.
Roland

Roland
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/20/10 - 6:06 PM
Personal Page

Hi Again,

Still on the wiring question here unfortunately, for the 63 sakonnet 16 but took a closer look at the boat, because of the previous posts, and.......

there is no rub rail at the front of the boat, it's a bubbled textured finish....not sure if this is the original hull design or not. I had the hull refinished, before I picked up the boat, so I did not see the hull before hand. But there is rub rails on the sides which have now been fibreglassed into the boat. ......due to the refinishing. And also had a new bow rail installed.

The bow light has a notch at the rear adjoining the bow rail center upright post. Does this mean that the bow light wire could run through the bow rail to the center console???? It seems to be the logical path but just want to double check....

And I'm also assuming that the stern light which doesn't exsist (right now) will have to be wired externally????

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks again
Roland

Barryg
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/10 - 6:18 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Roland , sounds like it would be a good idea to set up a Personal Page. Post a pic so we can see what is going on. Thanks BG

Roland
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/10 - 9:12 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the tip, I,ve created a personal page and included pics that hopefully will help....
Not quite sure if I did it correcltly or how YOU access it but it's under Rolands63 Sakonnet....
Please take a look and let me know, and thankyou for your help and time.... R & B

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/10 - 11:12 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Roland,

After looking at your personal page and seeing your console, I would say you own a Currituck 16 model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=32

Photos of an original bow light are in our OEM Part Photos section.
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=69

The bow chock under the light was optional in the early years.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=16

Edited by Joe Kriz on 04/21/10 - 1:26 PM

Roland
#9 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/10 - 3:08 PM
Personal Page

Hey Joe,
You know your boats....did little investigating, and actually called the orginal owner, who confirmed that it was a '65. However, he thought it was a Montauk, and he mentioned that it was the stripped down version, which in the end all roads lead to a Currituck. I do have a FLA boat tag # 1610L. I'm wondering if I can call the fla liscence dept to get more info......

While your reading, since you've looked at the pics. what is your suggestion for running the bow and stern lights???? I'm asking beacuse the rub rail, is now part of the hull by the looks of things. And it doesn't look like you can put a rub rail at the bow anyways.

Would the bow rail be a viable option???

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks for your time R&B

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/10 - 3:21 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

It seems the only way to positively know for sure what year it is, is to find the Stencil number. Can you see the Stencil number on the inside of the transom under the engine bracket or in the bow locker? If you know the stencil number, then we know the year.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=61

If you do know the stencil number, then you can ask Chuck Bennett at Whaler.com what model your boat was when it left the factory.

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 04/21/10 - 3:30 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

About the rub rail.
I think all the Whalers need a rub rail.
If it were me, I would sand the edge down so a factory rub rail could be installed. This shouldn't affect the work that has already been done on your boat but of course I can't be positive without seeing more photos.

The rub rail goes all around the boat from stern to stern but not on the transom.
Take a look at many of the other 16 models in the personal page section.

Yes, a bow rail can be installed but wouldn't help much with any wiring problems.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 12, 2024 - 3:04 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mphogan782
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,078
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.28 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,397,296 unique visits