View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New Fuel Tank
Joe Bauer
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/11/10 - 4:57 PM

Comments: 0

For any of you folks who are considering a new in-place fuel tank for your Whaler, before you commit to Florida Marine Tanks, give serious consideration to Atalntic Coastal Welding located in Bayville, New Jersey. I went to them because I did not receive what I considered good response from Florida Marine. The tank I just received from Atlantic Coastal is absolutely beautiful - very well made, epoxy coated, exactly to my old tank's specs, and delivered on time with alot of help and suggestions from the Company owner, Mr. John Gallo. They have a small shop with serious equipment as they also build tanks for the Coast Guard. I took the time to draw and photograph my old tank, then drove to Bayville to meet with the owner and give the shop a look-over before commiting to the deal. John is a laidback, very knowledgeable person who has been building tanks for many years (he built turbines for the Navy before starting his own business).
From a pricing perspective he is quite competitive and willingly assists his customer with install help, and helpful hints along the way. He gave me the 50 cent tour of the shop and fully explained his tank building process. He's proud of what he produces and it shows.
All in all a very satisfying experience with this phase of my boat's restoration. By the way, they also can ship to your location. And just for the record, I have no affiliation with the company other than as a satisfied customer.
If anyone has questions, please contact through the site.
Regards,
Joe Bauer

neb_2000
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/10 - 3:20 AM

Comments: 4

hi
thanks for your imfo about the gas tank I have a 1985 18 ft whaler is this the same tank that you had built ?
Ben[mail][/mail]

themclos
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/10 - 8:43 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Joe,

I see from your profile you have a 22 Outrage. Was the tank a standard 77 gallon tank?

Would you mind sharing what you paid for the tank?

I am in Northern Jersey and it is good to hear of your positive experience with a local (reasonably) vendor.

Did you take any pictures of your project? Did you replace the tank yourself, or did you have this work performed for you?

Dan

Dan
1986 22 Outrage Cuddy, 2002 225HP Optimax

whalerman
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/12/10 - 9:33 AM

Comments: 5

Thanks for the info. Always good to hear from a satisfied customer. Will put the shop in my info. bin for the boat. Thanks again!

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

Joe Bauer
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/14/10 - 5:09 PM

Comments: 0

Hey Folks,
Regarding the new fuel tank for my 22 Outrage. The tank from Atlantic Coastal Welding is the same size as the original - 77 gallons. The tank fabrication cost was 745 dollars and an additioanl 95 dollars for a new fuel gauge (Moeller) I do not know what shipping costs would be, but certainly better than from Florida if you live in the mid-Atlantic or further north. When initially measuring the tank, John Gallo strongly advised me to measure ALL aspects of the tank. He was correct - the front of the tank is 1 inch deeper than the back with other measurements accordingly different. He showed me a number of other Whaler tank drawings that he had on file. To be sure some had quite a few various dimensions -sides, ends, etc. Measure everything at least twice before committing to the job. I will try to get some photos of the job in progress during the install.
Regards,
Joe Bauer

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 16, 2024 - 7:44 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,480,322 unique visits