View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Norman Pin Fiberglass repair
fredbrillo
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/13/10 - 5:53 AM

Comments: 1

Guys...I got a problem...

The gelcoat and fiberglass under and around the norman pin bump near the bow rail mount are swelling and the gel coat has cracked...looks like Ive got some corrosion of some sort going on there....any advice...anyone else seen this problem? How does one deal with it?

Fishmore
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/13/10 - 9:37 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Without a picture it is hard to visualize for me but it sounds like a water intrusion and delamination issue. In which case I would remove the norman pin clean out the hole and check for moisture. If found I would dry it out with a hair dryer or a heat gun on low setting (do not get it too hot) then drill out the hole just enough to get to fresh material and refill the hole with epoxy then redrill the hole (if I remember correctly it a 3/8 drill) and refinish the gelcoat. Then reinstall the pin with 3m 4200 on each end to seal it.

fredbrillo
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/14/10 - 3:46 PM

Ya know...when you start getting a bit older the memory starts to fade a bit...anyway...I just went out to the boat and looked again..the problem is really where the center bow rail support mounts to the deck...My boat used to be a SuperSport...and still has that version of the full continuous rail that starts at the aft quarter and runs all the way around the bow to the other aft quarter....

There is a vertical support member that fastens to the deck just above the Norman Pin....its buldging and the gelcoat has split...Im sure that ther must be a piece of stainless under that area that has gotten some moisture intrusion and started to corrode...

It aint pretty and doesnt look to be an easy fix.

bluewatercandy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/15/10 - 5:57 AM

It's not stainless, it's aluminum. Roughly 1/4" stock 2"X4". The center bow rail support attaches to this block via machine screws, as the block is drilled and tapped. Once this process starts, the only way to fix it is to remove the aluminum and either replace it or fill the hole with glass and fair the area out.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 10:14 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,498,238 unique visits