View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
More 16'7" Resto Questions
joemariani
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 10:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi guys!
My former cohassett II (I bought a console from thundermist today to replace the cohassett console: http://www.thundermistpowerboats.com/products/th/170.html) resto is coming along. I have a few more questions for the experts:
Delam on the deck - there are two spots (in front of the console and behind the reversible pilot seat) where the deck has seperated from the foam underneath... ive heard about drilling holes and injecting those areas, can anyone elaborate on what to do/what product do you use?
I am considering installing a garboard drain in the back of the boat, and taking a long auger bit to drill a channel in the foam so water can weep out when i have boat hauled for long periods of time, any thoughts?
Finally there are a lot of holes that i will be filling in the deck (former rails, etc.) is marine tex a good product for this?
Thanks,
Joe

Turpin
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 10:55 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

I had a spot in my floor where the fiberglass had lost its bond with the foam. There have been a few tips on how to fix this and the one I used was the drill a hole inject resin method.

1- place tape over the area where you'll be drilling the hole. I used a 3/16 bit i think.

2- take an allen key type wench and put the short in the hole so that the long end is sticking up perpendicular to the floor.

3- using a drill, tighten the chuck on the long end.

4- gently start the drill working up and down, don't get carried away doing this. You don't need to go more than 3/8" to 1/2" deep.

5- Gentle try to suck any loose foam out of the hole, most of it will crushed and compressed out of the way.

6- Inject resin, epoxy or even glue into the hole. Just remember make sure what you are injecting will not be affected by water. I have used both resin and glue both work great. Gorilla glue works great and actually recommends dampness to assist it. If using Gorilla glue or the like, bare in mind it will expand. So if you have glue pouring out of the hole, you have put way to much in. I also gentle pressed up and down on the loose floor after having injected resin/glue to assist in pumping out any air and helping spread the resin/glue around.

7- set something of weight on the loose area, only heavy enough to keep the floor down.

8- Finish by addressing whatever you have left out side of the hole.

One more tip- if you use resin or epoxy, be vigilant on wiping up any excess before it totally cures. It is far easier to clean the overrun before it hardens. Glue is the opposite or at least to me it works out that way.
You may find a plastic squeeze bottle at your local store in the crafts department if you use resin.

Edited by Turpin on 03/11/10 - 11:03 AM
1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

joemariani
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 11:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Thanks!! thats exactly what im going to do, i think ill try gorilla glue.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 9:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,497,683 unique visits