View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Refinishing 1967 hull
andyf
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/10 - 3:44 PM

Comments: 0

Hey Joe...so based on all the good info I've gotten on here I am sanding down my 1967 Eastport hull to the glass because it was really blistering. I plan on resealing with resin then with Interlux Interprotect 2000E. Then I need to paint....am I smart just bringing it to a pro to do the light blue interior and a white hull or do I try to do it on my own? I don't have the equipment, experience or facilities to spray so it would be rolled and tipped if I did it............also for everyone here....if I do bring it out...what kind of ballpark am I looking at to paint a 16 footer???????????

Thanks
Andy

Optiker
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/10/10 - 4:48 PM
Personal Page

Ok so I am in a similar situation, but I am a little ahead of where you are. In my case, I am only doing a temporary paint using a 1 part EasyPoxy which is not epoxy BTW. Anyway, I did my first roll and tip of the transom and I want to tell you its easy and the results are fantastic! The Interlux may be a little more involved however. Just make sure you fill and fair to a real smooth finish because the paint wont hide ripple, etc. You can do it! Maybe try on a smaller area first, like the transom till you get some confidence...

1966 Whaler 13

andyf
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 3:56 AM

What are you using Opti?

A

Ambush
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 4:19 AM
Personal Page

andyf wrote:
What are you using Opti?

A

He mentioned 'Easypoxy' Andy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A9OI1...A9OI1WpvNo

Edited by Ambush on 03/11/10 - 4:26 AM
Doug
Only in a Whaler!

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 5:11 AM
Personal Page

Andy, no need to sand off all the gel coat. Just sand it down till its fairly smooth, then skim coat the hull with Evercoat Poly Flex. Use Evercoat Body filler for any large repairs after repairing with glass mat and polyester resin. Evercoat products are available at Automotive paint and body supply stores. For more info, Google Evercoat. Sand the hull smooth again and paint. Don`t have any experience with the paint you`re using, but I have sprayed numerous boats with AwlGrip, and if you roll and tip, you must use a brushing catylist. Make sure the paint system you use has an two part epoxy primer, for a long lasting paint job.

As far as Pettit EasyPoxy, it is just a marine enamel that will last a year or so, and then has to be redone. The initial paint job will look great but will fade quickly in the sun and also dull out. It is basically the type of marine paint we used 50 or more years ago, when boats were build from wood, and we painted them every spring. I used Easypoxy on my daughters sailboat 10 years ago, with the above mentioned results.

Rich

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 9:23 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,497,766 unique visits