View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Temporary Paint Suggestions
Optiker
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 7:29 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi guys,
I didnt want to hijack the Awlgrip thread, so I started this new one. I could use some advice...
My situation is very similar to the other post, where I have a '66 13 whaler, with the usual extra holes, and cracks in the gelcoat, etc.

In my case, I am trying to get the boat ready for the season, and will plan to do a full strip down/paint, etc maybe in a couple years. But for now, I am just trying to patch it up and also not have it look like crap (and minimize $$).

To date, I have patched a crack in the transom well with fiberglass, filled and faired all the extra holes in the transom, replaced my drain pipes in the transom and bulkhead, and repaired a Norman pin that was torn loose, and now am faced with how to pretty it up a little.

I have read about the options pretty extensively, and since I am pretty inexperienced, I am not planning to spray. My thinking is to roll and tip a paint on it. The area to cover would be the back side of the transom, all of the inside of the well behind the bulkhead, including the bulkhead and a little ahead of it. That will cover all the repair spots. Ideally, I would like to match the blue color on the inside, but will settle for white for now until I do the full restore if I have to.

So, what suggestions do you have for this application? After reading so many posts, ie gelcoat, Awlgrip, Interlux, 1 part, 2 part, etc etc, my head is spinning Smile Many contradictions! Can I refinish the paint when I redo the boat in the future (ie can I sand it down again)?

Thanks!!!

1966 Whaler 13

whalerman
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 8:13 AM

Comments: 5

Hi, I guess what you are trying to do is get her ready to use this summer!!?? Yes, what product you end up useing you can take it off, down, to redo at a later time. It would look alot better if you were to use the same color, or as close as you can find anyway. I know what you mean about all the products out there as I just repaired the fwd locker cover, the underside of it, and decided on pettit easypoxy as a start. We shall see how it holds up, I just did the underside only. What ever method of paint be sure to sand the area so the paint will adhere ot it. I think that you'll find that brushing it will work better in that area as these's not much room for a roller, but if you can get the "cigar" small roller, H D or Lowes might have them. At anyrate it will be a good learning experience. Good luck!

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 8:17 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Well if it's only temporary and you're planning on sanding it down anyway, go to your local auto parts store and buy a few spray cans and spray your hull. Of course this isn't the ideal way to go but it should suffice for the very short term.

There's a few areas on my hull I had to hit with a spray can as the paint flaked off. The paint patch job is good enough until I can save enough $$ to get her repainted.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out or what solution you came up with.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Optiker
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 8:37 AM
Personal Page

whalerman, yes! I am wanting to get it ready for this SPRING! I'm missing out on some good fishing already Smile
Thanks for the suggestions.

CES, I hadnt considered that. In fact, the prior owner had done just that, on the entire hull, and its flaking off in spots. I sanded it off the transom to prep it...

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

1966 Whaler 13

Optiker
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 8:44 AM
Personal Page

By the way, CES, I visited your page and I cant wait to have good times with the family on our little whaler creek-boat, just like in your pics! I can already envision leaving from our dock, and pulling up to the sandbar at low tide and cracking open a cold one! Too bad its 46 deg outside!!!!

Edited by Optiker on 02/25/10 - 8:44 AM
1966 Whaler 13

Bake
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 9:25 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

The best short term paint for the money would be easypoxy. Way cheaper than two part paints with durable finish. One caution you only get away with painting non skid once. After that the grooves will be full and you will be refinishing nonskid when you redo the boat. If that is already in your plan Then splash ahead

Optiker
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 10:46 AM
Personal Page

Alright...I went to West Marine and picked up a quart of primer and semi-gloss white easypoxy, or rather the WM knockoff of it. That and a tip brush was $78. Will update when I make some progress, got a little more fairing, sanding and prep to do first.

Thanks again, all.

1966 Whaler 13

CES
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 11:32 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Optiker wrote:
By the way, CES, I visited your page and I cant wait to have good times with the family on our little whaler creek-boat, just like in your pics! I can already envision leaving from our dock, and pulling up to the sandbar at low tide and cracking open a cold one! Too bad its 46 deg outside!!!!

Thanks! Ya, the kids and I have great times in the Whaler and we've towed that thing all over the place.

Good times in a great boat. Soon I'll have to move up to a 17' Montauk though.

I hope you're able to get your boat ready for the spring and "let the good times begin"!!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

LabCab
#9 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 1:12 PM
Personal Page

If you are going to "do it right" in a couple of years, don't use Easypoxy. People complain that it scratches easily as a permanent fix yet it is hard to strip off the hull, as is any marine paint. Besides, Easypoxy is not even a close match to the original color. If you are looking for a cheap temporary paint job find a paint swatch at Home Depot that is close to Whaler Blue and take it to an automotive finish paint supply house. They can custom mix paint spray cans for you. Spray bomb paint is pretty easy to sand off when you need to. I would try to stay with the original colors of your boat as it will make it easier to sell if you should need to.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 6:57 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,496,015 unique visits