View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Awlgrip for a '66 13
dannylee
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/10 - 8:15 PM

Comments: 0

I can't afford/apply a new gelcoat, but my "new" 13 is a maze of spider cracks and old screw holes, etc. Is Awlgrip a reasonable option looks-wise, DIY-wise and price-wise? How much can I expect to pay if I do the job myself, and can I spray it on outdoors? Can I tint the stuff to retain the blue interior?

DWinter
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/10 - 5:10 AM
Personal Page

Awl-grip is a great paint however if your not use to working with urethane paint, I'd recommend you either get some help or do some serious studying about it. To answer your other questions, Yes you could do it outdoors but I would "roll and tip" it. Spraying urethane paint is for pro's. Costwise, I'd suggest shopping around to get the best price. Keep in mind, there are other additional products necessary to do the job such as reducer etc. I'm sure there are numerous sites where you can buy the entire paint system. And I'm sure there are folks here that could give you more advice as far as color matching. And yes it will produce a tough fantastic finish if done properly.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

dannylee
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/10 - 8:10 AM

Thanks so much for the prompt, info-filled reply! I like knowing I don't have to spray it, (Tip? Is that like spreading pizza sauce on the dough by swilling the pan around? Sounds interesting...) and I went on the Awlgrip web site and noted a marine blue in that looks close to BW interior blue. Will a couple coats allow me to retain the skid-free texture on the floor? What/how do you recommend filling in the screw holes/cracks? I'm not looking for a Bristol result; just something better than I have now!

Dan

George More
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/10 - 8:56 AM
Personal Page

You will need to prime with High Building Primer to get a good surface. You will also need to sand down the textured deck area so that you get a good bond back to the surface. Once you awlgrip, you can tape off the nonskid pattern to the same area and then roll another coat.

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/10 - 3:40 PM
Personal Page

I have been spraying AwlGrip for 30+ years. If you have any spraying experience at all you will have no problems. AwlGrip can be rolled and tipped out doors but you need some protection from bugs and dust. I have a 20X20 screen room that I put around the boat. Then I drape clear plastic around the windward sides. When I sprayed my 25' Bertram I tented it with clear plastic. It was a big job. Sprayed AwGrip drys fast, trouble is when you roll and tip you need a "brushing catalyst" which slows up the drying speed considerably, more chance for dust. If you paint outside in the afternoon, when the evening dew sets in the finish even if tack free will blush and flatten out. Paint in the morning, 10AM-2Pm is ideal. 70degrees or more.
Money wise gel coat is cheaper, but more labor, but yours is free anyway, right?
AwlGrip is a two part poly, AwlGrip primer is a two part epoxy. You mix, say, one qt. of AwLgrip finish paint with one qt of catalyst(spray or brush). Then you add about 10% reducer. Same with the primer, but with different products.
If you use AwlGrip high build primer, which is a soft finish, You need to prime again after sanding with the normal primer (now its really getting expensive) otherwise the finish paint will chip. I made that mistake once. The cheapest place to buy AwlGrip is Finishmasters Automotive and Industrial Paint. It is a national chain, find a location on the Internet. 4-5 hundred if you use two colors. One other thing if you use the rolling brushing method figure 3-5 coats, one after another when tack free, If you do one a day you will have to sand after each coat. AwlGrip ready to use is very thin, almost like water, it likes to run also if your not carful. Personally I think spraying is much easier.

Rich

LabCab
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/10 - 5:56 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

dannylee use the search feature here. You will find the paint code for "Whaler Blue." I've spent about $120 on paint for the hull. Rolled and tipped and it looks nearly as good as sprayed.

Edited by LabCab on 02/24/10 - 6:02 PM

Jim R
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/10 - 6:37 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

There is a Boston Whaler Blue that is in the Awlgrip database, it's just not on their color card.

If you're on a tight budget, you may find that Awlgrip is not the best option. It's easy to overlook the cost of the all the prep materials, fillers, primer, reducers, pots, rags, brushes etc... You should also consider that you will use more paint than expected because you will have some redos since it's your first Awlgrip project. Obviously only you can decide whether it's worth it, but just a word of caution because it's not as simple as opening up a can of paint and having at it.

If you do go for it, find someone who is experienced with the product system that can provide advice. The good folks at Awlgrip are usually a good place to start. You'll also find help right here on WC.

dannylee
#8 Print Post
Posted on 02/25/10 - 9:23 AM

Excellent information, guys! Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll keep you posted here as I proceed, probably late spring when Ohio temps permit outside painting projects...

pymapete
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/11/10 - 7:20 PM
Personal Page

Hi dannylee.........My husband & I painted our 67 Eastport this past fall with Awlgrip. We were novices at boat painting, but gave it a shot. Definitely took both of us for the job, was quite an undertaking with the preparation, conditions and timing between coats and dealing with humidity and temp. We also had numerous cracks and holes which we drummelled and filled. Applied 5 coats of primer and 4 coats of topcoat and many interesting problems along the way. Also, the BW blue that Awlgrip claims is true, was not. It was much darker. We had the original gelcoat sample from BW factory. We ended up lightening it up with Awlgrip white. The result is spectacular! Hard as nails and unbelievable shine. Bought the paint from Jobbers in Sandusky, Ohio at a discount, but still not too cheap. Do listen to all the Whaler people on this site - they know their stuff and they REALLY helped us tremendously! Look back at our threads - they may help. Good luck!

eastport67Pete

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 1:01 AM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,499,803 unique visits