View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
'69 13 Restoration....
ppandr
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/10 - 8:00 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Starting a restoration on a 69' 13' hull that I was gutted when I got it. Had a few punctures and dents bottom side but more importantly the top had a few holes and the boat sat uncovered. It felt very heavy so I flipped it and did some exploritory drilling and fount that almost the entire floor area is saturated. The hull is weighing around 400lbs. I guess my question is at what point does it make sense to excavate the wet foam? I am not looking to take this back to showroom condition but to a good usable boat the will see both freshwater lake and river use (shallow at that). Has anyonr ever tried using a vacuum pump (set low) to ease the water out?

510racer
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/10 - 8:29 AM
Personal Page

I thought about trying the vacuum pump method but ended up just leaving the hull upside down, out in the sun for a few weeks. Within 20 minutes, on a sunny day, water started oozing out from holes on the bottom (not drilled, just small cracks. The bottom was painted black, so this may have sped up the process.

The boat was considerably lighter after doing this.

If you try this, make sure you tilt the boat so there will be no puddles if it rains.

ppandr
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/10 - 5:03 PM
Personal Page

I got the hull for $350 so I am okay experimenting with it to try to dry it out. I have narrowed the water concentration do to eith side of the center keel and wider towards the back of the boat. The hull is now sealed and damages have been fixed. I have seen else where on this board that a few people have installed drain plugs in the lower transom.

What I am thinking of doing is drilling two 1"+ holes on eitherside of the center line offset 6". I then will take a piece of 1" pvc and notch the end (teeth) like a wood bit. I will attach the conduit to a 1/2 right angle drill and drill the length of the waterlogged foam area creating two parallel channels in the foam. I was think of then inserting 1/2" copper tubes to the end of the channel and pumping warm/dry air into each for an extended period. Once complete I will put the 1" pipe back in (planning on drilling 1" oc it to make it a perf pipe) this way allowing circulation when I pull the plugs while out of the water.

Any thoughs?

Mr Whaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/02/10 - 5:05 PM

ive got the same hull. its AWESOME once you get it up and running. please keep us posted on the restoration process.

Rob
1969 13' - 2001 Tohatsu 40hp
More Boats than Brains

mstahl1171
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/10 - 3:08 PM
Personal Page

I drilled 1" holes in the deck....only needed 4 holes.....flipped the hull upside down on the trailer and let it sit for a few days. Gravity did all the work. Once it was light enough for me and my son to pick up and carry we knew it was dry enough and patched the holes.

Hope this helps

Mark

1965 13' Sport ...1962 Evinrude 40hp

ppandr
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/10 - 3:29 PM
Personal Page

I did drill verious holes in mine but not getting a substantial amount of water. There should be 10-14 gallons in there. I know it is not relistic to recoup all of that but with a sustantial reduction in weight this is just a waste of drilling holes in the boat.

510racer
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/03/10 - 3:52 PM
Personal Page

If there is actually that much water in there I would think you would definitely see some water running out if you drill in the right spot.

Were there any damaged areas or holes on the hull that might have taken in water? If so the water should not be able to travel far, unless the foam to skin bond has failed or the closed cell foam structure has failed.

Try drilling a 1/4 in hole, below the drain tube, as close to the bottom of the hull as possible. Raise the bow as high as you can and place a pan or something to catch water and see if you get anything after a day or two.

The foam itself should not hold any water unless it's closed cell structure has failed.

It's also possible that your whaler has had some repairs that added some weight.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 9:11 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 4
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,497,673 unique visits