View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Teak Restoration
dadspony
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/10 - 9:46 AM

Comments: 1

I have just finished removing all old "sealers" etc. from my 1985 17' Montauk teak. I have sanded it smooth and now ready for new protection. What do other owners recommend? I bought Starbright Natural Teak Oil/Sealer but hate to apply a bad choice after all the work it took to get to this point.

nvaccaro
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/10 - 10:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I never had great success with the teak oil, however, I never used the Starbright. I have heard from other members that they had good results with the Starbright. I went ahead and varnished all of my teak a few months ago. I went with the Epifanes High Gloss Marine Varnish. I applied 5 coats and love the way it came out.

Good luck.

coopgraphic
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/10 - 7:48 PM
Personal Page

I redid all the teak on my boat last winter. I used Amazon's Light Teak Oil and it came out beautiful...however, by the end of the season, it had accumulated quite a bit of black dirt. I am actually thinking of varnishing the teak but I am very hesitant to.

Hope that helps

Chris Cooper

bmw90w
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/10 - 8:01 PM
Personal Page

You will get different opinions on this but here is mine. Varnish looks and works great, but it is a bear to redo. When it comes time to refinish, there is a lot of sanding to contend with. It will last longer than the oil, but oil is much easier to mantain in my opinion. I chose to do mine in oil, and it looks fantastic. I have heard it is an annual event though. Either way, it is just a light sand and apply though. I used interlux teak oil. A little more expensive, but it works beautiful. Do what works best for you though. Good luck!

1984 Montauk

nvaccaro
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/24/10 - 9:13 PM
Personal Page

Yeah, I agree with BMW90w

I'm not looking forward to the day when I have to refinish my teak just because of the sanding I will have to do on the varnish. I probably would have stayded with the teak had it lasted longer, but I didn't buy the best brand probably. If I'm not mistaken, I think I had bought that 3 step kit from Academy Sports. Maybe a better brand would have lasted longer.

I enjoy working with the teak, but my oil didn't seem to last all that long and I didn't want to have to continually maintain it. Good luck to you. On a side note, my little boy kept telling me he liked the way the teak oil smelled. He said he could have eaten the teak he liked the smell so much! I promise, my wife and I do feed him. Smile

Go Saints!

DWinter
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/10 - 5:01 AM
Personal Page

Take a look at Bristol finish. It's a two part, very durable and repairable without having to completely strip the item.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

HarleyFXDL
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/10 - 7:45 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

On my Montauk, I used the teak oil. I forgot which brand it was, but the brand was highly recommended on this site. It looked great at first, but by the end of the summer it had started to gray and turn black in the crevices. It seemed like a lot of work getting it to the point where it looked great. To have it die back so quickly, made me think I would try a varnish next time. This time around I will give varnish a try. At the very least, I can say I tried both way and will be better educated the third time around.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

Derwd24
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/10 - 10:21 AM

Comments: 9

I also used the teak oil and really liked the way it looked, but it didn't hold up well in the salt water environment. At the start of last season I tried the Sikkens Cetol Marine after stripping down the teak and it held up and looked great. I haven't had the need to reapply yet as it still looks quite good, but am hoping it's as simple as a light sanding before brushing on another coat. It's well worth considering as an alternative to oil and varnish.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Guts
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/10 - 10:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

In one word [(SEMCO)] I use this and it looks good and is easy to reapply, with out making a mess on the surrounding surfaces.
taken from there web site;

SEMCO Teak Sealer -

Long lasting natural looking protection. Lasts through the season and can be renewed without deep cleaning or stripping for years! Repels water without being slippery. Relieves the drudgery of constant teak maintenance. Known the world over as the best protection for teak. Available in 5 shades.

ioptfm
#10 Print Post
Posted on 01/25/10 - 11:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

You need to take in consideration how much exposure the boat will have to the elements for long periods of time. If Varnish is left out for long periods of time, yes it will begin to deterirate and breakdown. I used EPIFANES on mine and applied about 13 coats. That was 3 years ago and I have no signs of breakdown, but at the same time it is never left out in the elements for longer than 4 or 5 days at a time.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

dadspony
#11 Print Post
Posted on 02/01/10 - 4:03 PM

Thanks to all the great people who gave me some excellent information. I ended up putting a light coat of the Starbrite Light Teal oil/Sealer on all the surfaces. The color of the wood when it dried was great but it has a "sticky" feel to it. I took the advise of the Semco Clear Gloss treatment and will topcoat with that as it is made to go over sealer. My hope is that will really make it pop plus be fairly durable based on the post. Thanks again to all for the help.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 10:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
fdb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 4
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,101
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,498,231 unique visits