View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Gelcoat repair problem - 1986 Outrage
jocasee
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/14/10 - 11:10 AM

Comments: 0

Last summer, I repaired several screw holes in my transom. I removed the screws, drilled out the holes and inserted a wooden dowel insert to fill the hole and then used Spectrum Gelcoat Repair Kit to finish the job. Before adding the dowels, I notice there was a very slow drip of water exiting frm the holes, a drop every few minutes. I let the holes drain for several days before adding the inserts and gelcoating. I thought I had done a good job but now I have noticed that there is a black, acidic residue that appears at the repaired holes, and also the repairs are showing hairline cracks that form around the perimeter of the repair. I will need to redo, does anyone have any advice on what went wrong and how to proceed on the redo? I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Edited by Joe Kriz on 12/13/12 - 12:37 PM

mattgeiger
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/14/10 - 1:17 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Sounds to me like you need to open it up and repair the wet area(s) of plywood. Could be an easy job with a grinder, some filler and re gelcoat. But it could be opening Pandora's box. Rarely have I come across a wet screw hole that was limited to a small area. If it's not delaminating or showing big stress cracks and the boat otherwise has no signs of being waterlogged, it's probably not a huge concern.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

Fishmore
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/10 - 12:46 AM
Personal Page

You did not mention if you coated the wood dowels with an epoxy or polyester resin which would secure the dowels and seal the repair. Maybe you just missed this step or you forgot to mention it? If water was present I would have used epoxy to seal the dowels/repair. After sealing the repair then you would repair the gelcoat.
Gelcoat does not stick to epoxy very well so you might need to sand/grind down the epoxy so that area is lower than the surrounding area and then apply polyester resin and then your gelcoat. Others might have a better idea but that is how I would repair it.

modenacart
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/10 - 1:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Wood acts like a wick and will distribute moisture given time.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

John Fyke
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/15/10 - 3:20 PM
Personal Page

I would always avoid a repair over a wet substrate. There will always be ramifications as in your case. It's like putting a band aid on it.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 8, 2024 - 10:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mwwierda
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,060
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,320,112 unique visits