View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
New member - look forward to learning and contributing
MuddyFeet
#1 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/05 - 3:11 PM

Comments: 0

I’m new to the forum and would like to introduce myself.

I just purchase a 2005 Montauk 170 with the 90hp 4 stroke.

A little bit of my boating history:

I bought my first boat when I was 12 -- an aluminum canoe that I still have. Then came a Snark sailboat followed by and an aluminum jon boat. When my 3 boys were still in elementary school, I bought and restored a 16’ wooden lapstrake runabout. It was built by Cruisers and had a 40 Hp Johnson. We raised the kids on that boat. But as the kids got older and went boating with us less and less, I wanted to give sailing a serious try. So I sold the lapstrake runabout and bought a wooden 20’ Highlander one-design racing sailboat. I spent a winter restoring and re-rigging her and spent two summers sailing her on Lake Geneva, Green Bay, Lake Michigan, and the Apostle Islands.

As much as I love restoring and sailing old wooden boats, I found that wanted to spend more time on the water and less time in the shop. So I went looking for a boat built with that (gasp!) fiberglass stuff. Please don’t tell the folks on the woodenboat.com forum -- I’m trying to keep it a secret.

We had so much fun on the runabout -- it was versatile, we could tow it anywhere, use it on lakes, rivers, and Great Lakes harbors. I decided I wanted to go back to power, and in a boat about that size.

And so, after an exhaustive search, I bought the Montauk through Gage Marine on Lake Geneva. They are a great outfit, and the Montauk 170 is everything I thought it would be.

I know nothing about modern engines. I know nothing about fiberglass cleaners and waxes. So I’ll probably have a few questions. I look forward to picking your brains -- hopefully I can contribute back occasionally.

Regards,
Muddy Feet

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/05 - 3:42 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Welcome aboard Muddy Feet.

Many of us Whaler owners started out somewhat the same fashion. I started out with a couple of aluminum boats and then bought my first Sport 13' in 1975... Haven't looked back since. I am on my 5th Whaler now.

Teak Oil
#3 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/05 - 5:15 PM

Comments: 0

Welcome, we are always looking for more Great Lakes guys around here

Jeff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 04/30/05 - 5:25 PM

Comments: 34

"hopefully I can contribute back occasionally."
I hope more than occasionallyWink

Welcome....glad to have you here. Lots of great people here with lots of knowledge...

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/01/05 - 5:40 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Muddy -

Welcome and congratulations, you have made the right choice. The new Montauk is very nice. I am the third owner of a 1987 Montauk for the last 15 months.

I too was a total novice on cleaning, maintenance and techniques despite having spent a lot of time on the water (have a house on an island off the coast of Maine)

Feel free to post a thread when faced with questions, no matter how small. I learned soooo much reading the board and asking questions.

I can't see buying another brand of boat and give up the tightest, most helpful group of boat lovers in the world.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 21, 2024 - 3:12 PM
Users Online
Welcome
franci de peverel
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,113
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,567,115 unique visits