View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1962 13 ft Whaler style question
Surf Betty
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/09 - 3:56 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Hello, I purchased a nice 1962 13 ft whaler with a 1994 Evinrude VRO 40hp. It's in pretty nice shape and ran good on the sea trial. It is repainted with all white paint (i wish they used the blue inside). Right now it has no railings. So while I'm dreaming of summer again I'm thinking of fun stuff to add to the Whaler in the spring since she's all tucked away under her shrinkwrap. I was thinking of adding a bow rail and/or side rails. My friend thinks that I shouldn't put any railings since the old ones never had any (i think, please correct me if I'm wrong). I just wanted to get some educated opinions. I was wanting to add them for utility sake but don't want to spoil her vintage look. Also, how does one drill into the hull to add such things? ...seems like it may cause problems...any advice or thoughts are much appreciated. Smile I love this site!

RevengeFamily
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/09 - 5:48 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Welcome aboard Whaler Central...

It's hard to tell you what you should do to your Whaler, I tend to be a traditionalist to a certain extent.

Here is my two cents... If you have small children, then a bow rail is definately a plus. If you don't have children than I would leave the bow rail off. Again, just my two cents...

If you decide to add the bow rail, you will want to make sure all holes in the glass are caulked with a marine grade sealant. I use and I know a lot of folks here use products from 3M. My caulk of choice is 3M 5200. Not cheap, but I don't like to take chances.

Hope this helps, Norm

PS. The fewer holes you have in your hull, the less likely you are to have water intrusion inside the hull. Make sure you take a look at the bronze tube in the transom. They will, after years of service deteriorate and allow water to enter the foam inside the hull.

1999 280 Conquest w/twin 225 Mercs
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/09 - 6:45 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Side rails were always an option, bow rails came along later. Add the parts you want, just be sure when you drill into the hull that you use caulk around the screws. 5200 is an adhesive caulk and not really required, 4200 or boatlife caulk does fine. the important part is to seal the hull from water.

CES
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/15/09 - 8:40 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Railings are certainly nice to have but not necessarily mandatory. My 1966 13' doesn't have any railings and though I thought about putting them on at one time, I'm glad I have not done so. Also, my kids are 6 and 8 years old and we've had the boat three years and they have yet to fall out.

Good luck with your boat and congratulations on becoming a Whaler owner.

Edited by CES on 12/15/09 - 8:42 PM
Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Surf Betty
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/09 - 7:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

thanks for the great input...i will have to ponder it. i will have kids aboard here and there and definately a black lab or two. I also wanted to add the seat back with storage behind the helm seat available from Nautical Lumber. Seems like it would be more comfortable and some storage would be nice. Thanks again for the helpful thoughts.

MW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/16/09 - 9:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I'd put on the side railings with the kids, mine are 2-1/2 yrs old and 7 yrs old. PFD's are a "MUST" on the kids even when only at the dock and not in the boat (at the dock is where all the Horseplay starts). I get them in the boat as fast as I can, it's "safer" there than the dock area.

Matt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 4:31 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,274,615 unique visits