View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler Trailer
Joe Bauer
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/09 - 5:00 PM

Comments: 0

Hey All,
I have 1987 22'Outrage on a Loadrite Aluminum 'I' beam trailer (tandem). The rollers are shot as are the bunk covers. My question is this: Should the boat rest on rollers under the keel and be balanced by the bunks along the bottom or is the boat supposed to primarily rest on the bunks. Currently the trailer has only 2 rollers toward the front half of the boat and none directly under the keel along the cross members of the trailer; none at the transom either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to louse things up after all the effort of restoring the boat is complete.
Regards,
Joe Bauer

TommyWhaler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/09 - 5:25 PM

Joe, from what I understand, the Whaler hull is designed to be supported from the keel, with the bunks used for balance and guiding the boat on the trailer.

GMeader
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/09 - 5:29 PM
Personal Page

My understanding is the same as that of Tommy Whaler. I've heard the keel is the strongest part of the boat and, as a result, it should carry the weight while the boat is on the trailer. The bunks are just to balance and keep the boat from shifting -

SpongeBob
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/03/09 - 7:13 PM
Personal Page

It all depends on your particular trailer. There are keel roller trailers that the bunks just serve to balance the boat and the rollers support the weight Then there are pure bunk trailers where the weight of the boat is supported soley by the bunks. Either will work fine if set up correctly. My trailer is FastLoad aiuminum I beam bunk trailer with just 1 roller on the rear crossmember to help center the boat at first. The boat is 10-15 inches above the roller when the boat is fully on the trailer. It works well with my 1982 22' Outrage. I prefer all bunk trailers. Most of the new Whalers here in FL that I have seen come on bunk trailers from the factory. Each type has it's fan base I just prefer the simplicity of the bunk style.

Jeff

Joe Bauer
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/04/09 - 5:59 PM

Gentelmen,
Many thanks for the guidance about supporting the boat; it helps quite a bit. I have also been researching the 'slippery' bunk covers made of a silicone impregnated material. Haven't made any decisions about them but they look interesting as they provide a 'slip' factor when loading and unloading the boat when compared with the usual carpet covers. I'll let the group know of resulting performance if I decide to use them.
Again, my sincere appreciation for your comments.
Regards,
Joe Bauer

kamie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/04/09 - 7:23 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

If your looking to make sliding on the bunks easier, try liquid rollers. It's a spray and works like a charm.

The best setup for a whaler is keel rollers with bunks to provide balance and enough resistance to keep the boat from flying off into the water.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 8:37 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,512,242 unique visits