View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Stripping anti-fouling paint
reeltime
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 5:45 AM

Comments: 1

How do I strip, or should I even consider spripping black anti-fouling paint from the bottom-side of my 1998 Dauntless 13? It seems painted or not, the values I see are not much different for that boat, but clean sure looks good!
Also, can I paint or refinish the faded white vinyl seat-backs. Good shape, just faded and mildewed.

Thank-you,
Darin

mstahl1171
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 6:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

If the boat is not going to be in the water all the time and you wish to strip the bottom paint then try this...I have stripped my bottom paint using Citrus Strip. I just coated the bottom with it and then laid plastic wrap on top of it to prevent the stripper from drying out to fast. After about an hour or so I was able to scrape and wash away most of the bottom paint and then repeated the process to get any left over residue of paint.

If you go this route you will probably find the the bottom of the hull has been etched to accept the primer and bottom paint. It will not shine like the rest of the hull unless you do alot of work. I will defer to others on how best to restore the bottom to it original state. You might just leave it alone. If it looks good...dont mess with it.

The seats on the other hand is another story. I know in the automotive world they make a vinyl seat paint/dye to restore color. You can purchase from most big chain automotive parts stores. I am not sure if it will hold up in a marine enviroment. I would talk to a upholstery shop and get their thoughts. Someone on here may have used the paints before and can share their experience.

Mark

1965 13' Sport ...1962 Evinrude 40hp

reeltime
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 6:38 AM

Comments: 1

Thanks Mark. Restoring the finish after stripped was one of my concerns. I think it would be a sand, prime, paint, clear-coat job. Matching the topside finish. I may just leave with paint! Actually needs repaint, and I do have a gal. of Pettit Un-Epoxy Plus. Just think the clean hulls are beautiful.
I do have an upolstery shop in town. I'll hit them with the paint question.
Darin

Zepada
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/29/09 - 3:40 PM

Comments: 0

I too used CitriStrip with success. I found the spray better than the brush on. After the striping (use a plastic scraper) I started with an orbital sander and 400 grit paper, then 600, then 800, then 1200 and finally 3M Marine Compound with a good buffer. Returned the surface to a shine equal to the areas not painted. Be sure to use a good mask during sanding and cover everything you don't want dusted.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 12:24 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.24 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,514,792 unique visits