View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Water inside the hull
Chuck Homer
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/09 - 3:01 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I'am looking at an older whaler for a winter project, but the seller says that inside the hull there is some water. Does anyone know if this is worth saving?

Thanks,
Chuck
cdhomer5309@netscape.net

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/09 - 3:46 PM

Comments: 34

I would put money down that any classic Whaler that has spent time on the water would show some elevated moisture levels somewhere on the hull with a moisture meter. Could it be saved would be depend on how much water there is on the hull and what the water has comprised. That said why is the seller stating the hull has water in it? Is there a area that is dripping water, has water seeping from it, has osmotic blisters occurring, drain tubes missing, an area of poor repair, an area of exposed foam, an area that is spongy or an area that is swollen?

Also, other important factors would be what size it the hull, what is the asking price and what do you hope to end up with once the vessel is refinished? A show piece, a good solid boat to go out and use or and boat to use and abuse for work purposes?

Edited by Jeff on 11/10/09 - 3:49 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Chuck Homer
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/09 - 4:43 PM
Personal Page

Thanks jeff

I'am going to take a close look at it tomorrow. The seller said it was heavier than normal and hole could be drilled in it to let the water drain. Sounds kind of strange. But I've been looking for a project whaler for some time , so I don't want to miss the opportunity.

Derwd24
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/09 - 5:04 PM

Comments: 9

If you can't get it weighed (for stated weights look HERE for comparison) then check the paint or scum line to try and determine the waterline of the boat. Compare that to pic's of similar hulls to ballpark the weight in a pinch.

BTW, once there's water in the foam, it's next to impossible to get out, so his suggestion of drilling holes is pointless (been there, done that). A little heavy is fine, you just want to avoid buying something really wet.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

modenacart
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/09 - 5:27 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

If it still has an engine on it, just put it in the water and see where it drafts.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

HarleyFXDL
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/10/09 - 6:03 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

Some water issues can be repaired easier than others. If you look on this website you will see some easy projects and some down right scary one's. Make sure you know what you are getting into before diving head first.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

Chuck Homer
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/09 - 8:20 AM
Personal Page

Thanks for the advice. After taking a closer look today, I decided to walk away. It was tough to do , but I think in the long run it will be the wiser decision.

Blackduck
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/09 - 11:57 AM
Personal Page

Water in the hull is one problem you can't fix. I would stay away. It is one thing to own a boat and have this problem happen, you are kind of stuck, but to choose to get into this situation is another story, there are just to many dry boats out there.

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

TechTeach
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/11/09 - 4:19 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Derwd24 wrote:
If you can't get it weighed (for stated weights look HERE for comparison) then check the paint or scum line to try and determine the waterline of the boat. Compare that to pic's of similar hulls to ballpark the weight in a pinch.

BTW, once there's water in the foam, it's next to impossible to get out, so his suggestion of drilling holes is pointless (been there, done that). A little heavy is fine, you just want to avoid buying something really wet.

Why is drilling pointless??

We had a '68 hull that we installed a garboard drain plug into. In the winter we would pull the plug and it would drip out a few gallons over the winter, worked for us.

I'm thinking of doing the same on my '84 15 Sport just to see if there is any water in the foam.

Derwd24
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/12/09 - 3:36 PM

Comments: 9

My hull has significant water in it and I learned from experience that drilling holes along the keel produces a mere fraction of what's left inside and then creates the issue of having to seal up "wet" holes. Had mine open for over a month, in the warm summer sun, and got little more than a few cups total, majority of that was during the first days.

Was just trying to tell Chuck that, unlike what the owner was saying, getting the water out wasn't as simple as drilling and draining... though I wish it was.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 11:38 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,514,324 unique visits