View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1983 Whaler 15 color?
wellcraft
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 6:36 AM

Comments: 0

What is the color of the 15' Whaler in/out?

I heard it was Desert Tan but I already sand the boat in/out and the interior is like dessert tan and the exterior is much lighter.

So what is the color outside?

Edited by Tom W Clark on 11/05/09 - 7:26 AM

Tom W Clark
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 7:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Your boat has Desert Tan interior gel coat and Outrage Grey exterior gel coat.

The Outrage Grey (aka Light Grey) is really just an off-white.

Starting in 1984, the small (<17') Whaler hulls were molded with Desert Tan inside and out. The larger hulls "V" had always been molded that way.

wellcraft
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 7:45 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm painting this boat with awlgrip and since they don't have anything like dessert tan I want to go with something similar as factory. What is the awlgrip color that people are using to try to match this whalers?

Thanks you

Tom W Clark wrote:
Your boat has Desert Tan interior gel coat and Outrage Grey exterior gel coat.

The Outrage Grey (aka Light Grey) is really just an off-white.

Starting in 1984, the small (<17'Wink Whaler hulls were molded with Desert Tan inside and out. The larger hulls "V" had always been molded that way.

wellcraft
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 8:18 AM

I spent 2 days sanding the hull and I notice that this hull is very wavy,not a (flat surface). I wanted to get a very flat surface, but in order to do that I basically have to cover the whole boat in quick fair to fair the whole boat, it happens inside too. In other words I'm getting lots of low spots and high spots.
Is this common with whalers, at least 15, that the hull is not straight or doesn't have a flat hull sides?

There is so much that I'm planning of leaving the hull like that and not fair it.

I did a mako 224 and the hull was flat.

Bake
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 8:42 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

wavy side is fairly common. Some people feel if it is flat then there must have been work done on the boat.

MW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 9:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

The starboard side of my 15 has a slight wave to it, you can only see it after you wax the hull and buff it up to a high gloss. I wax and buff right before I spalsh in for the season, then it get's dull after a day, then you can't see it at all.

Matt

wellcraft
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 9:53 AM

I never liked the gloss of awlgrip, is to glossy for me. I prefer the gloss of gelcoat. I also was planning on using the additive form awlgrip (flattening agent) to get rid of the glossy finish but then I was told that in the event of a repair it's going to be hard to match. So maybe what I can do is sand the hull and buff it to my liking, not to high glossy finish.

wellcraft
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/09 - 7:20 PM

I was comparing the awlgip color chart with the whaler and definitely is like an off white. I think I will get 2 quarts of egg shell for the interior and 1 quart of off white for the exterior so I can make the whaler look as original as possible. I'll take the time tomorrow to make the final desiccation if not it will be egg shell all the way.

I should be painting the boat in about a week. Then turn the boat, fix the crazing on the floor and I will be ready to paint the inside. After that I'll start sandblasting the engine to paint it with awlgrip also.

Basically everything in the boat will be new, I bought all the whaler 15 parts to Eric from Specialty marine (mahogany kit, lights, norman pin, all cushions, mahogany bow hatch, wrap around bow rail).

BTW, I had a great transaction, very good communication and everything went very smooth with him. I definitely recommend Specialty marine and if I have to buy some thing else for the whaler he will be the guy.

I still need to get the rub rail and I have to re chrome the other parts.

Let see how will be the end results.

Binkie
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/09 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page

From experience with a 13 footer, I know it takes the same amount of paint to paint the inside as it does the outside, if you are not using bottom paint. If you paint the whole boat the same color, You should be able to do it with three quarts. If not 2 quarts inside and 2 quarts outside.

Rich

wellcraft
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/09 - 8:37 AM

How do you like Tampa?

I wanna move there this year, don't like the area were I live, Augusta Ga. So now, since you are retired you can bore me with Tampa info, which I need it. I'll be in Orlando for a week in December and we are planning in spending a few days in Tampa just to get as much info as we can. Been looking for jobs over there for the past 4 month and if maybe I'll go to Orlando for 1 or 2 month in February to look for jobs in the Tampa area. My wife's family lives in Orlando so I can stay there for a while.

I just going to pick up a gal of awlgrip eggshell today. I never thought that a whaler this size will take so much amount of paint. Considering that a gal will be a 2 1/4 gal when mix with the catalytic and the reducer.

Binkie wrote:
From experience with a 13 footer, I know it takes the same amount of paint to paint the inside as it does the outside, if you are not using bottom paint. If you paint the whole boat the same color, You should be able to do it with three quarts. If not 2 quarts inside and 2 quarts outside.

Edited by wellcraft on 11/08/09 - 8:41 AM

Binkie
#11 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/09 - 7:16 PM
Personal Page

Tampa has about the highest unemployment rate in Florida, which has one of the highest employment rates in the country. Tampa is an OK city, you can find everything you need there. I live 45 miles north of Tampa. I wouldn`t live in the city of Tampa though. Outlying surrounding towns are nice though. but it a tough commute from out of town. Boating and fishing in the Tampa area is good.I lived in Ft Myers for 35 years, but I now like Central Florida better than SW Florida.
I think you are buying too much paint. Remember its a 1 to 1 mix. I was talking about total paint.

Rich

wellcraft
#12 Print Post
Posted on 11/08/09 - 7:20 PM

Thanks for the info. That's what I though, I'll talk to then to see if they can order a couple of quarts instead
Binkie wrote:
Tampa has about the highest unemployment rate in Florida, which has one of the highest employment rates in the country. Tampa is an OK city, you can find everything you need there. I live 45 miles north of Tampa. I wouldn`t live in the city of Tampa though. Outlying surrounding towns are nice though. but it a tough commute from out of town. Boating and fishing in the Tampa area is good.I lived in Ft Myers for 35 years, but I now like Central Florida better than SW Florida.
I think you are buying too much paint. Remember its a 1 to 1 mix. I was talking about total paint.

Bake
#13 Print Post
Posted on 11/09/09 - 4:55 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

Again it has been a few years sense I painted my 15 but I think I used a quart of color on the Inside. you could buy 2 quarts and see how far it goes on which ever side you paint first. If you use one or one and a half you will have a better Idea of what will be needed to finish.

I did find out recently it takes a lot more to get around my 19 than I remember using on the 15.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 7:01 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Xtof
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 2
· Total Members: 50,050
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.65 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,268,415 unique visits