View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Gelcoat refinishing
pugh66
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/09 - 1:07 PM

Comments: 0

I just got my 15' duantless off it's previous owners davots and it is in need in some tlc. I already got the motor rebuilt and running so now its time for clean-up. Trying to get a few ideas on which compounds and waxes work the best. Im looking foward to posting my progress and interacting with as many as possible on whaler central. Thank you in advance for you help, talk to you soon.

Joe

bccanucker
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/09 - 7:35 PM
Personal Page

I have always had good luck with Mequiars products.
#44 Color Restorer
#45 Boat Polish
Flagship Premium Marine wax
Go to their website to see what each product does

Roy Warner
1983 17 Montauk - 1998 Yamaha 115 V4 2 stroke

Finnegan
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/09 - 7:39 PM

Comments: 16

For removing haze and oxidation, and high gloss factory original gloss, you want to use 3M's IMPERIAL COMPOUND AND FINISHING MATERIAL, #06044, which comes in a qt bottle, black and purple color. It's not cheap, about $45/qt, but worth every penny and then some. It has fast initial cut, then converts to a highly refined micro-finishing (glossing) process.

I have been buffing and maintaining my Whalers for years, and most say they look pretty incredible for their age. But I newly discovered this stuff, and it is like nothing I have ever used before. I just did my 25 Outrage, and it has never looked so glossy since I bought it new 20 years ago! It's not easy to find in boat stores, and West Marine does not carry it, although they should.

Use a fluffy wool pad on your machine (this stuff is not for hand use except very small hard to reach areas), and you can follow up with 3M's FINESSE-IT II if you want, but it may not be needed. Then Collinite #925 pure Boat Wax.

This is the best product I have ever used for glossing up a gelcoat hull.

Edited by Finnegan on 11/01/09 - 7:42 PM

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/09 - 6:06 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

You can also use Buff Magic. Simular to the product Finnegan describes. If you search the site for Buff Magic you will see some before / after photos of my project 13. Follow it with finesse-it or right with wax.

JohnnyCW
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/09 - 8:01 AM

Finnegan wrote:
For removing haze and oxidation, and high gloss factory original gloss, you want to use 3M's IMPERIAL COMPOUND AND FINISHING MATERIAL, #06044, which comes in a qt bottle, black and purple color. It's not cheap, about $45/qt, but worth every penny and then some. It has fast initial cut, then converts to a highly refined micro-finishing (glossing) process.

I have been buffing and maintaining my Whalers for years, and most say they look pretty incredible for their age. But I newly discovered this stuff, and it is like nothing I have ever used before. I just did my 25 Outrage, and it has never looked so glossy since I bought it new 20 years ago! It's not easy to find in boat stores, and West Marine does not carry it, although they should.

Use a fluffy wool pad on your machine (this stuff is not for hand use except very small hard to reach areas), and you can follow up with 3M's FINESSE-IT II if you want, but it may not be needed. Then Collinite #925 pure Boat Wax.

This is the best product I have ever used for glossing up a gelcoat hull.

I'm not familiar with the Collinite but I absolutely agree with both 3M products. I'll have to keep my eye out for the Collinite #925.

bottomfish
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/09 - 8:49 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

I second the 3M Imperial compound. It cuts well enough to clean up 600 grit sand paper. The stuff is smooth to the touch but cuts unbelievably. Yes it is expensive but definitly worth the money.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 6:10 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,267,859 unique visits