View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bimini vs. Trolling Motor
rlryder
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 9:27 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have a Minkota Rip Tide mounted on the port side of my bow which prevents me from laying my bimini down flat when not in use.

To complicate matters, I keep my boat in the garage and don't have much head room. I was thinking of adding some ss support poles to the bimini, however, this would require adding a sliding track rail for the support poles in order to lower the bimini so I could get the montauk in the garage.

Anyone have any other suggestions how best to configure a bimini with a trolling motor mounted on the bow?

Rock Ryder

bottomfish
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 10:07 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

rlryder, lay the bimini down on top of the bow rail all the way to the front. Use two bungees to hold it there. It basicly follows the line of the bow rail just a bit wider at the front. Your trolling motor can still be deployed and you can run, fish and store it that way as well. Not perfect but simple and effective with no mods. Just my .02

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 10:23 AM
Personal Page

I`ve always rigged my Bimini top so it folded towards the stern.

Rich

JohnnyCW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 3:08 PM

Binkie wrote:
I`ve always rigged my Bimini top so it folded towards the stern.

Mine as well usually though I can fold it forward too.

bottomfish
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 3:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 32

Mine is now on slides and can fold either way. It can be stowed rearward for trailering or forward as discribed above for fishing. The slides are a great addition. Just makes for more flexability.

Dogface
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 3:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My bimini is laying flat across the front and the TM mounts on the bow just beside the light. The TM goes right over the bimini but I did add a support bracket for the TM head unit to stop the flopping around. I also have tracks so it can lay behind.

Mark -
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went..... Will Rogers

nvaccaro
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/09 - 7:11 AM
Personal Page

Their just doesn't seem to be the perfect answer for the bimini/trolling motor combination. The best I came up with is using the slide tracks. I have a bow mount trolling motor and a pedestal bow mount fishing seat, so I didn't want the bimini folded to the bow where it was in my way. If I leave it folded to the stern, then it is in my son's way when he is fishing. Keep in mind he is 7 and needs all the room and he can get to cast!

I mounted the bimini to the slide tracks and bought a pair of support poles. When the Montauk is not being used, I loosen the support poles and let the bimini lay down on the side rails of the boat. I also trailer it this way. At the launch, I engage the support poles and the bimini is folded up but in the upright position above the pilot seat. Besides working out the best for me, I think it looks pretty cool!

If anyone comes up with something better that they really like, let me know. I'm always open to better ideas.

JohnnyCW
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/09 - 4:40 PM

If the Bimini is in the way that much, take it off. I take mine off frequently for those trips I know it wont be used.

mhinch
#9 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/09 - 6:27 PM
Personal Page

You might want to go look at "A Little Madness" and the way they support/store their top. Really a practical solution and another option for you. Have to agree with previous post and sometimes it's just better to leave the top at the house.

Matt
1996 Dauntless 15
50 HP Honda
67# thrust - 24 volt trolling motor

nvaccaro
#10 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/09 - 8:54 AM
Personal Page

Have to agree. "A Little Madness" has a good setup. Mine is pretty similar. "A Little Madness" sure is a beautiful Montauk. Job well done.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 4:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,266,236 unique visits