View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Restore Help, General questions
mstahl1171
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 7:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I new here and have purchased my 1st whaler for a restore project. I have done other boats before...so I am not completely new to this. Please look at my personal page and let me know if you know the model of my whaler. Since the HIN is missing...I have no idea exactly what I have. Also...I have aquired alot of parts and decals for the boat also.

My big question is this.....the deck has a bad repair spot near the transom. Someone tried to fill some holes with spray foam from Home Depot....ugh. The foam raised the deck enough to crack the glass. The deck has a woven fabric texture in the gel coat. I want to reproduce since the rest of the deck looks great. How do I go about repair the deck so it matches the rest of the boat? I have seen folks use non-skid paints and just cover up the old non skid. I am trying to be true to the original...if that is truly possible.

Thanks

Mark

Binkie
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 8:22 AM
Personal Page

Here is what I would do. Forget about making the non skid deck area look original and new. Almost impossible with the condition of your deck. Cut out the broken glass, dig out the mushroomed foam, and patch the area with 3 oz. mat and grind smooth, Then cover the entire nonskid area with 1 1/2 oz. mat, sand and paint with hull. sprinkle non skid over the wet paint, and then roll on a second coat of paint over the non-skid area. No one will notice you lost the original non skid, becuase the rest of your job will be eye popping. That's what I did, check my personal page.
Here are some pics of the deck glassing:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c19.../?start=60

Rich

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 9:50 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Mark,

What are your plans for the boat? You can restore the non-skid if you want but it will take some work. Not sure what shape the remaining gelcoat is but here are your choices,
1. Follow Rich's suggestion if you plan to paint the entire interior.
2. if the gelcoat is in good shape and restorable on the sides you can redo the non-skid. You will need to make a mold of the non-skid that is in good shape. Then cut the bad section and replace the bad foam. Replace the fiberglass matt. Follow these instructions West non-skid repair
You will need to make the mold yourself as Gibco does not make a mold that matches the non-skid on the 13 footer. smooth-on.com is one place that has the correct material, 50 hardness is what has been used before, Reoflex

Edited by kamie on 10/30/09 - 9:57 AM

Derwd24
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 10:07 AM

Comments: 9

That's a great article, I wonder if anyone here has ever tried to repair in that manner? Says it's undetectable, but there's no photo of the final result.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 10:34 AM
Personal Page

I have yet to see the results of anyone on this forum or on CW who had used that mold method over a large area, especially on the curved floor of a 13 foot Whaler. A few square inches at most may be doable. You can buy sheets of non skid fiberglass, and glass them to any flat surface, but again it wound work on a 13 footer.

Rich

LabCab
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 5:09 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

If you do it please take photos. Your boat's inside resembles mine when I purchased it. How are you going to strip the paint? If the original gel were in great shape it would have never been painted. In my case it was painted early in its life with a sucession of four coats. Applied by preschoolers apparently. The paint prevented the crazing and spider webbing a lot of boats have but it was to cover a large repair in nearly the exact spot in the stern area as yours. It was repaired by stuffing pink fiberglass insulation in the hole and covering it with a half to quarter inch of Marine-tex. I've ground off the non skid pattern. No original boat I've ever seen with it ever looks clean with it. I'm going to use Binky's non skid sand method. If you can try to get the paint soda blasted off. I wasted a lot of time and energy hand stripping mine.

mstahl1171
#7 Print Post
Posted on 10/30/09 - 7:33 PM
Personal Page

Will do Lab....I will have pictures of the restoration process. I have decided to do the non skid paint option. I will paint the hull and interior with the proper colors. Does any one have a source for the original bow and stern lights? or something that is close to the original?

LabCab
#8 Print Post
Posted on 10/31/09 - 12:31 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Many Whalers were shipped with the wires in place but had a plug in the bow for the optional light. I'm not sure that what I have is Whaler but I like its size and quality. I'll be back at my boat next weekend and I'll take pictures of the bow light that was on mine. It is small and made by Perko. I paged through their catalog and it's no longer made. I think it was probably not Whaler specific and with the measurements you can keep an eye out for "vintage bow light" on eBay. There is usually a good selection of NOS lights on there. I don't like the big lights on the 13' either. Especially that you have to drill the bow through and through. The stern light was made by Perko and I believe you can still get them through Whaler. It's specially made for Whaler as it has a stainless shaft. Perko makes a similar light but it has an aluminum shaft. You can get those from most marine supply catalogs. The fittings are still stocked by Whaler and also Specialty Marine.

About that stern damage again. I remembered after I posted before that when I removed the damaged area and some of the (dry) foam around it it smelled like gas. Maybe years of spilled gas ate the foam and caused delamination of the fiberglass there.

mstahl1171
#9 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/09 - 5:14 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Lab...I will check it out. I am with you on the big bow lights...I don't like them either. I have found a few lights on eBay that are similiar to what the original was...probably will go with them since they are stainless steel. I am going to replace the the drain tubes...both of them are not corroded out yet...looks like they where replaced at somepoint before.

Now i wish the weather would cooperate. Tough doing a restore without a garage....lol

Mark

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 5:34 AM
Users Online
Welcome
TDND2013
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,049
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,267,409 unique visits