View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Whaler 15 complete refit.
wellcraft
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/09 - 7:39 PM

Comments: 0

In about 2 weeks I'll be starting my new project, a 1988 whaler 15. I want to paint the whole boat in gelcoat.

Few questions?

What kind of primer do I have to use for gelcoat?

Where is the best place to get color match gelcoat and how much will I need for the whole project?

Since I'll be using gelcoat what is the best way to do a nonskid?
In this case I will be getting rid of the diamond texture because is really bad, so I need a new nonskid texture. Do I get the nonskid with a roller or how????

What is the best way to get the gelcoat as flat as possible so I don't have to do so much sanding? I heard that gelcoat can be diluted to get a flatter surface.

What is or is there any place that explain the whole process of gelcoating a boat.

I've done this before with this very same whaler (10 years a go)but it wasn't a good job, I sanded the whole boat an everything but I know there is a method that makes the job a bit easier. I understand that after gelcoating I have to spray pva for some reason.

What is the whole procedure for gelcoating?????
How thick the gelcoat has to be?

Thanks in advance guys.

JohnnyCW
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/09 - 7:51 PM

I'm a fan of Spectrum Color. Some good basic information there to get you started as well.

Edited by JohnnyCW on 09/19/09 - 7:52 PM

wellcraft
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/09 - 8:12 PM

I was just looking at their web site (spectrum) and also https://www.minicraft.com/retail/bostonwhaler.htm and this guys sell the matching colors by gallon. They have different gelcoat options (Premium, Platinum, Piranha, Super Gloss) and if you click in one of this options it will give a description of that product.

The super gloss seems to be a good product, here is the description
Super Gloss Gel Kote comes ready to spray and only requires catalyst. NO WAX, NO REDUCING. Lays out to a smooth, GLOSSY, tack free finish. Requires only wet sanding of edges and/or spray imperfections with 800 or 1000/grit wet-dry. A very easy, user friendly, labor saver.

I wonder if this is a good product. It seems like it will cut down the sanding process.

What do you guys think??

Derwd24
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/09 - 9:22 PM

Comments: 9

Sounds like you're on the learning curve. Give this article a read, it provides the basic framework:

http://bertram31.com/proj/tips/re-gel...oating.htm

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 2:34 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,233,768 unique visits