View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
fresh water not working
Eddiekehl
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/09 - 5:18 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 04 conquest 305 and the fresh water is not working with switch on in panel. winterization fluid still drips from faucets, toilet, ect but pump is not pumping. tank is full of water. any ideas

JohnnyCW
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/09 - 5:55 PM

Blown pump fuse or maybe a valve not properly positioned.

jollyrog305
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/09 - 6:05 PM
Personal Page

I don’t think the pump has a fuse; however you may want to check the electrical connections. I would also suggest checking to make sure that the filter before the pump is full/primed with water (no air) – but if you are saying that the pump isn’t even “vibrating” then that won’t matter. Does the pump show any corrosion on the exterior? Reason I ask is that I had mine go about a month ago b/c of corrosion. This may be a silly question, but are your selector switches still in the OFF position?

ioptfm
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/09 - 6:08 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Listen to see if you can hear any sound or feel any indication that the motor for the pump is coming on. If not then you have a power connection problem, which could be a blown fuse or loose connection. If you can actually get to the motor then put a meter on the power leads to see if it is getting power. I'd lay odds that it will be a power problems. If it is getting power and you can get to the motor then try to turn the shaft manually. Many times they will freeze up and you can free it by turning it.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

TechTeach
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/09 - 6:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Pressure switch is bad or clogged......

JohnnyCW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/09/09 - 7:07 PM

jollyrog305 wrote:
I don’t think the pump has a fuse...

Why would somebody wire a pump to a circuit unprotected with a fuse or breaker? Not a very safe practice.

RevengeFamily
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/09 - 5:23 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Eddie,

The responces above are valid and good, but we really need a bit more info.

Is the pump running?

If so, check the small inline filter directly in front of the pump. Unscrew the filter bowl, inside you'll find a stainless steel screen, it may be full of debris. This pump is a diaphram style pump, do not run it without the filter screen installed.

If the pump is not running you'll need to determine wether or not you have 12volts at the pump with the switch on. You can use a 12v test light or a volt meter.

If you have power at the pump and it is still not running, you may have a bad pressure switch. It's designed to shut the pump off when the water pressure reaches approximately 40psi.

If you don't have power at the pump you will need to go back to the 12v side of the breaker panel and using your test light/volt meter determine if you have 12v coming out of the closed circut breaker. If not your breaker may be bad. If you do have a good breaker, then you need to track the wire to the pump looking for a physical break in the wire.

Good luck,

Norm

1999 280 Conquest w/twin 225 Mercs
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

jollyrog305
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/09 - 5:30 AM
Personal Page

Let me clarify, I don’t believe that the pump has an internal or in-line fuse. The pump is controlled by the distribution panel (toggle type breakers) in the cabin – if there is an electrical issue, the breaker is supposed to trip back to the off position. The main circuit breaker(s) are located under the bait prep station (which should also be checked to make sure they haven’t tripped).

I guess a follow on question would be – is anything working from the distribution panel? (i.e. vaccu-flush, refrigerator, 12v outlets, etc)

ioptfm
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/09 - 5:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

One more thing to check in the event that the pump is running.........If there is a Sea Cock on the intake side, make sure it is in the open position.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

Eddiekehl
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/09 - 4:11 PM

thanks everybody for the help. There is power at the panel everything else works. not sure if there is power at pump will check tommorow. is there a valve coming off the tank that needs to be on, or did they do something when they winterized it last year to prevent the pump from running. the pump does not hum or anything i took off the line on the filter side and didnt look clogged but no water started coming out with a full tank, i thought there would be at least some tank pressure on it. Going down tommorow to work on it. Another thing, port side nav light was out and i replaced bulb but no light the fuse is fine the other lights work is the housing bad or is it wiring?

TechTeach
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/10/09 - 4:41 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Clean the contacts for the bulb, that should do it. If not you may have to dig a little deeper.

jollyrog305
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/11/09 - 10:10 AM
Personal Page

Clean the contacts and "jiggle" the bulb - if the light goes on, try squeezing the contacts together so the bulb fits in very tight. I actually had to do this and then "turn" the bulb until the little wire soudered in/on the bulb was firmly seated in the bottom contact.

I have never had any water come rushing out of the filter when I took the cap off to clean it, so I don't think there is any pressure coming from the tank.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 10:18 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 4
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,228,774 unique visits