View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Paint for my 1966 13 footer
H_E_Hottell
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/09 - 6:09 PM

Comments: 1

I have a 1966 13 foot Whaler that is getting a complete make over. I have the hull sanded down and primed. I need to know where to go to buy a good quality paint for the hull and the interior that approximates the original colors. I am new at this so any help received will be appreciated.

JPB
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/09 - 6:20 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

What kind of primer did you use? Most paint systems have a paint and primer that are matched for each other. I have been very pleased ordering my products from James Town Distributors.

Turpin
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/09 - 2:18 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

You might consider AwlGrip it has been used by many on this site and has came highly recommended. I too have used James Town Distributors and found they seem to be about as good of a deal you'll find anywhere.
For any tips on the application, which it can be sprayed or rolled both with ending in excellent finishes, can be found through a search of the site.

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

Binkie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/09 - 6:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

The paint you use is dependent on your painting skill level. If you are very experienced at painting you might want to consider AwlGrip, which is considered by many the best marine finish, It is a two part polyurethane with a 2 part epoxy primer. I have painted over 20 boats with AwlGrip in the last 30 years. It is expensive. The best place I have found to buy it is Finish Masters Industrial and Automotive Paint and Supply. They are a national chain. Check them out

http://www.finishmaster.com/

If your experience is not that great use Pettit Easy-Poxy. It is a one part epoxy paint, that will give you a good looking job using the rolling and tipping method, and is easy to apply. Problem is you may be looking at repainting in 2-3 years, while AwlGrip will last 10-15 years.

Rich

H_E_Hottell
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/09 - 6:20 PM

I primed it with Interlux 2-part Epoxy Primekote kit (404/414). It sounds like AwlGrip is the way to go. I don't have a lot of experience spray painting. I guess I'll have more when I'm done.

What size gun orifice do you recommend? What pressure is best? How many coats?

Jim R
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/09 - 6:43 PM
Personal Page

You could drive yourself crazy determining the right paint options based on product, cost, skill level, and recommendations. You said you primed with Interlux Epoxy Prime Coat. This product is the primer system to be used with their Perfection topcoat. Perfection is a two-part polyurethane finish that is similar to Awlgrip. It's Interlux's answer for the do-it-yourselfer who might otherwise try their hand at brushing/rolling Awlgrip. Perfection is meant to be more forgiving for less experienced hands when applying. I've never used it myself, but since you already applied the Prime Coat, you may consider going with the Perfection topcoat to keep with the same system. It's also worth pointing out that Perfection is significantly less money than Awlgrip, which could be attractive in and of itself. You could potentially have problems applying Awlgrip over the Interlux Prime Coat.

number9
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/09 - 8:55 PM

I recently saw some photos of a boat that had been taken to an auto body shop to have two-part polyurethane finish sprayed. They were able to match the color desired perfectly and used less expensive auto/truck/industrial finish rather than normally higher priced marine paint. It came out looking great.

As long as the prep work is done, it's an easy mask and paint job. You might be able to find a good shop to paint for you too. It probably wouldn't cost too much more to have a professional spray job by the time you purchase material and equipment required to do it yourself.

Bill...On the Ogeechee
1984 Outrage 18...Yamaha T50...that's right, 50hp

H_E_Hottell
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/09 - 6:02 PM

Now for the final queastion. What color was a 1966 13 footer out of the factory? I've heard "old Boston Whaler white" was the color used back then, but that doesn't tell me much. Was it bright white? Was it white with tan tones? blue tunes? Gray tones? Perfection two part epoxy base is bright white. What tint and how much should I add to get "old Boston Wharler white."

LabCab
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/30/09 - 7:00 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I noticed others have used "Snow White" in Awlgrip (a stock color) for the exterior so that's what I purchased for mine but haven't used it yet. I think Perfection also has a Snow White, There is no "off the rack" paint that matches the interior. Jamestown Distributors stocks custom mixed "Whaler Blue" Awlgrip that others have used. I got my order from them in two days. Anyway the early hulls were a bright white on the outside.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 10:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
estewartcb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,055
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,287,043 unique visits