View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
insurance...
Joe Kriz
#41 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 11:35 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Things seems to be getting confused here about maximum hp for the 13' model.

The 1958 Boston Whaler Catalog states:
Max HP of 40 for the 13' model....

The above max hp is carried out for the remainder of the years.
25 hp for tiller models and 40 hp for remote steering models.

number9,
Let's not try to make things more complicated and difficult than they really are.
All 13's had capacity plates that rated max hp and maximum weight allowed etc...
The weights may have changed slightly but NOT the max HP which is 40....

I may have to edit some of the above posts as not to confuse new members or people that aren't aware of the facts. We certainly wouldn't want a new owner to put a 300 hp motor on the back of their 13' model thinking they are legal....

A Notched transom takes a 15 inch shaft motor. Up to 40hp
A later non-notched transom takes a 20 inch shaft motor. Up to 40hp

kamie
#42 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 12:04 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Cliff,
I hate to tell you this, but your not. You are at the max rated HP. Now if you want to join the overpowered club, how about dropping a 90 E-Tec on that boat and watch it scoot.

Tom W Clark
#43 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 12:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

For the record, all classic 13s, from the very beginning, have been rated for 40 HP if they have remote steering.

Those models with a tiller steered outboard were rated for 20 HP.

The 25 HP rating didn't appeared until 1997 on the commercial ALERT model of the 13.

kamie
#44 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 12:35 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Joe Kriz wrote:

I may have to edit some of the above posts as not to confuse new members or people that aren't aware of the facts. We certainly wouldn't want a new owner to put a 300 hp motor on the back of their 13' model thinking they are legal....

Joe,
i'm not confused, but technically if someone wanted to put a 300HP on a 13, while over powered and probably way too heavy for the boat, the Coast Guard says it's not illegal according to federal law. Assuming they don't live in one of the states that have state laws against it, they would be ok. Now, would they every be able to run that at more than idle, probably not and would their sanity be questioned by most folks, including those on this site, absolutely. Would it be so dangerous as I hope that no one ever consider it, yes, but it would not be illegal according to federal law.

There is a difference between how the boat manufacture has to rate their hulls and what the after market owner can do. This thread has also brought up an interesting point, that the federal regulations probably changed at some point, or at the very least which formula applied to which boats. If you read the current regulations all 13 foot whalers with a 15 inch shaft should max out at 35HP and would if they were built today and had to comply with the current regs. The formula they would have to follow with the 15 inch shaft is as follows, F=LxW (F X .8) - 25 = HP.

Tom,
I realize that blue interior is a 15 inch shaft, I did not look to see if the Sourpuss was built with both the Blue and Tan versions. I guess it was.

number9
#45 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 12:46 PM

Comments: 1

Joe,

Wasn't trying to make things complicated. Once the discussion gravitated towards the formula for max hp in the CFRs we discovered that the pre 1972 Sports with the 15' transom if built today would be rated at less than 40 hp. Think we also clarified how transom height is measured when using that formula. Apologize for posting the apparently bad info that at one time a Sport was rated at a lower hp, that was information read on another site.

This info posted previously was received by email today from Mr. Bennett at BW:
"The 13' Sport (console steering) has a 40 hp max. rating.
Due to the shorter transom height, I would not recommend exceeding 175lbs max. for an engine weight."

Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Bill...On the Ogeechee
1984 Outrage 18...Yamaha T50...that's right, 50hp

Joe Kriz
#46 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 1:06 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

kamie,

Still can be confusing to new owners and members here...
Any new laws do NOT apply to older boats in this particular issue... They were rated for what they were rated for at that time and the rating is still in effect today as they are grandfathered in.

The fact remains, the Classic 13' models are rated for max HP of 40 with remote steering regardless of any new laws for newer boats. A newer boat made today has to conform to the newer laws.

That is the point here as not to confuse any new Whaler owners that purchase older Classic models..

number9,
As you just found out, other sites may have incorrect information. It happens sometimes.
WhalerCentral tries to make sure we don't have any incorrect information including information by any members posting here.
We all want to make sure the information is correct.....

Can anyone imagine what a new owner would make of this thread? Would they be confused at first?
They would finally get the correct information but they would have to read all the posts..
I think anyone reading this now would know for a fact that the Classic 13' models with remote steering is rated for max hp of 40....

kamie
#47 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 1:35 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Joe Kriz wrote:

Any new laws do NOT apply to older boats in this particular issue... They were rated for what they were rated for at that time and the rating is still in effect today as they are grandfathered in.

Joe,
this is true for everything, not just boats. If I purchase an older car, say a 1963 MGB before backup lights were required, I don't have to retrofit it with backup lights to get it titled and tagged.
* Please note, I don't know when backup lights for cars were required in the US, I know my 63 MGB did not have them, but then it was brit, maybe that's why *

The boat that actually started the question on overpowering was a dauntless which according to it's owner the capacity plate shows persons and weight but no max HP.

If a new owner reads this thread, I hope they take away the fact that on the internet you should read all the way to the end of a thread. if you don't you will miss the big picture and that can have serious implications. I also hope they realize that this site has great, accurate info all they need to do is look, or ask.

sitkabrett
#48 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 2:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

actually the boat that started this over powering question was a 20 foot outrage. Not a dauntless or a 13 whaler. sounds like you guys need to start a 13 whaler thread though....

Joe Kriz
#49 Print Post
Posted on 09/04/09 - 2:50 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

sitkabrett wrote:
are there any companies that will insure a whaler powered with an engine over the recommended horse power rating?

sitkabrett,

Technically the title of the thread was Insurance.... and then your statement about "are there any companies"....
Nothing mentioned about any size or model of boat in the opening post.

However, I agree with you. Too many other items are getting mixed in the pot...

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 12:31 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,483,451 unique visits