View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Location of Forward Sump Drain on 22' Hull
themclos
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 4:15 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Does anybody have a photo or a diagram showing where the drain tube in the forward sump terminates on the outside of the hull?

I am unable to find a through hull on my 1986 22 Outrage Cuddy that corresponds to this drain. This is the drain that is in the aft portion of the cabin, where a porta potty may be stored.

There is a hole in the location where the drain would be, but there is no brass or pvc tube in the cabin area. While this area is dry, I am not so naive to think it has never seen water.

It is possible the drain is covered by a forward bunk, which is why I would like to see a picture showing the location.

It is my understanding that some boats (Outrages, Cuddys and Revenges) did not have a drain in this area.

I have a copy of the exploded diagram for a 1987 22 Outrage Cuddy, and it is very accurate, showing the location of this drain, on the inside, but dies not show the location of the outside termination point.

I imagine it is also a possibility the drain was sealed up, at least on the outside.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan
1986 22 Outrage Cuddy, 2002 225HP Optimax

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 4:27 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

It would be directly on the other side of the hull where you already have the partial hole.

I know 1989 was different but the same hole you describe went thru the hull.
Most models also have a bilge pump in that location that pumps overboard.

themclos
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 4:52 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Joe,

Do you think it would be above or below the low chine?

I am thinking it would be just above the chine. A picture is worth a thousand words. This is not an angle that most have photographed.

I have read that the older hulls no longer had this drain.

Dan

Dan

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 6:33 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I don't remember and I have been looking through all my photos but none show the exact location.

themclos
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/09 - 10:07 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I found a picture of a 22 Revenge I had looked at last year, and saw a clamshell low, just below the lower chine. While not definitive, this area is clear on my hull, and there is no drain here.

That said, here is what it is looking like. It looks like a previous owner closed this drain from the inside. I have spent several hours removing what looks to be a wood and epoxy plug. It had collapsed into the hull. I have had to drill holes through the plug, which was incredibly difficult, in order to get holds to break it apart with needle nose pliers.

I broke 2 pliers in the past several hours. The stuff was black and from a short distance, looked like iron ore.

I have one more piece to get out. I will try to post pictures, but I am leaving on a business trip later today.

When I return, I will look to make a more permanent repair.

Unless the terminating end of the drain suddenly appears, I doubt I will look to put in a through hull.

I recall reading about somebdoy else going through a simila exercise.

Dan

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 8, 2024 - 5:23 PM
Users Online
Welcome
chentintsai
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,061
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,325,972 unique visits