View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Need Outrage 18 trailer help
kazankota
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/09 - 8:06 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I have a time constraint and need a trailer to pick up an 80's 18 Outrage which I would be transporting a good distance. I do not have time for a new trailer and am looking to pick up something to make the trip, so looking on craigslist (local).

What do I need to consider here? I have been looking at 18-20 ft (boat carry size) bunk or bunk/keel roller trailers rated for 2800#'s or greater. Would I be able to adjust a bunk only trailer enough to get it to fit for travel or do I need to have keel rollers Any other advice as far as measurements (i.e width between the fenders, bunk position in relation to cross supports, minimum adjustable height of bunks, etc)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

native_texan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/09 - 10:38 PM

Comments: 0

where are you located? I have an older 18' outrage trailer in Houston Texas looking for a good home.

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/09 - 11:12 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

native_texan,

That is why we have the "Location" as being required at registration time so we all know where the member is from.

This is based on the honor system but some people miss the [color=#ff0000]*required[/color] location field and leave it blank.

I encourage All members to "Edit" their profile and put a minimum of their STATE in the location field.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if everyone had a minimum of which STATE they are from in their profile... It would make it very simple for all the members to know what area the member is from in any of the discussions here.

Earth isn't good enough.
North America isn't good enough.
USA isn't good enough.

Bare minimum should be the STATE in which you live...

The best is the city and the state like you have in your profile. We all know at a glance that you are from Houston, Texas....

For me, my city wouldn't do anyone any good. They would ask where in the heck is that?
You can't go any much further North in California than where I live in Upstate, California.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/21/09 - 11:30 PM

kazankota
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 4:36 AM
Personal Page

innocent mistake. I have filled in the location, not sure of why I had not done it previously. I appreciate the offer native_texan

kamie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 6:52 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

without looking at the trailer you want to use it's hard to know how adjustable it is. Here is what I would look for in a trailer.
1. Keel rollers
2. At least 2 bunks that you can slid up and down.
3. Easy ability to move the axle/wheels
4. Easy ability to move the bow stop

The trailer should be rated at 3000# .

good luck

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 12:11 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Here is some basic information on trailers in this thread.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...#post_6212

There might be some type of dealer in your area with a new or used trailer on their lot.

Thanks for adding your location so we know what part of the country you are from.

kazankota
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 3:17 PM
Personal Page

I have the trailer all set to be picked up in Michigan. Thanks for everyones help.

Edited by kazankota on 08/22/09 - 3:17 PM

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 3:22 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Did you buy new or used?

Now you need to get ready for your trip...
Let us know how things turn out for you.

kazankota
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 5:35 PM
Personal Page

Larry from CW had one for sale and was kind enough to offer to meet me in St. Clair Shores, MI. It looks like the 12 hour drive to pick up is going to be well worth it.

Joe Kriz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 6:23 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Larry is from here too.... aka Finnegan....

I think he even advertised it on WhalerCentral.
Is this the one?
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ad_id=5203

kazankota
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/09 - 6:48 PM
Personal Page

I figured he was probably here as well. That is the one. Gave me a very good deal and delivering 4-5 hours away from his home.

kazankota
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/09 - 9:28 PM
Personal Page

Just got back from my trip. Woke up at 2:30 AM on Sunday and drove from Rhode Island to St. Clair Shores, Michigan. Arrived at around 3:00 PM and met with the seller. Larry (Finnegan/LHG) and his son drove in from Illinois and arrived around 7 PM with the trailer. A few of Larry's friends were there as well. We got everything set-up properly and I was on the road to Cleveland to stay with my dad for the night.

Larry and his son are 2 of the nicest people you will ever meet. It's really good to know that there are people like this in the world today. Larry (who does not know me other than that we are both CW/WhalerCentral members) was willing to drive 5 hours and deliver the trailer as well as get it set up to fit the Outrage. The night before he ran into some significant car problems. That didn't stop them for a second as Larry had a hitch put on one of his other vehicles the next morning, a hitch that the store had to send someone out to Indiana to pick up! Thanks Larry (and Larry) I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help.

The boat is very nice and is all original, even the original whaler upholstery is still in good condition. There are a few pics of the new acquisition on my personal page take a look.

Edited by kazankota on 08/25/09 - 9:47 PM
Torrey
1987 Montauk - 2009 Evinrude E-Tec 90 hp

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 8:24 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Craig Strattman
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,088
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,441,431 unique visits