View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
buyers pre purchase survry survey
celt
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/09 - 6:01 AM

Comments: 1

This afternoon I'm looking at an older (early 70's) 13' Whaler with a small 2 stroke late 80's Johnson OB. I'll have a mechanic check out the engine but my problem is how can you check the hull for water penetration without using a moisture meter. I have owned boats before but always avoided cored hulls. This whaler has a foam cored hull and is old. I used to check the decks of my previous boats for delamination by sounding with the plastic handle of a long screw driver and listening for dull sounds. That may not work with the Whaler since she is foam cored and apparently water can penetrate the foam in a wicking action through out the boat and never delaminate. A dealer told me if that happens you can never dry it out and might as well throw the boat away.

Would appreciate some tips from experienced Whaler owners about what to look for.

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/09 - 6:37 AM

Comments: 34

First you will want to make the brass thru-hulls are properly in place and free of perforations.

Next check to make sure they are sealed properly.

Finally check to make sure all of the scews going into the deck and hull are properly bedded with some caulk and there is no swelling occurring in the area around them.

I would also walk the deck with no shoes on and move around on the balls of your feet and feel for flexing of the floor.

All of that said, I would put money on that fact that you will find moisture in EVERY whaler you look at. That said it is nothing that worries me any more. If I am looking at a Whaler and all checks out I typically will have the hull floated to check where the waterline falls. If the hull seems to float well I am typically fine with the boat. There is no set flotation level for any Whaler just a well trained eye. If it looks stern heavy and there is no apparent reason for it, the hull is probably holding a bit of water.

Follow this link to find a survey document I wrote up. It is at the bottom of the page.
Finding and Surveying a used Whaler

Edited by Jeff on 08/20/09 - 6:41 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

celt
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/09 - 8:37 AM

Comments: 1

Thanks Jeff: A very quick, complete and detailed answer to what was a difficult and complex question.

Your answer re some moisture in all whalers is the same as a surveyor will give re balsa cored decks in a sail or powerboat - the extent is what counts.

I take it as a given that you don't believe a surveyor with a water meter is worth the expense. I never bought a "big" boat without a thorough survey but at 13' a surveyor seems like an overkill. I wouldn't even think of it it the hull were solid glass.

One final question - is it worth sounding the hull and deck given the nature of foam?

Many thanks,

Celt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 8, 2024 - 5:03 AM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,316,334 unique visits