View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Battery placement
Fishnutz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/09 - 10:29 AM

Comments: 0

I am reworking a Montauk 17 and was wondering what happens to batteries when submerged in saltwater. Would they be damaged from being "dunked" in the surf? I assume this is not a problem as the battery is in the stern from the factory. I am moving the batteries to the console,but had concerns about the above. Any feedback?

wrangler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/09 - 11:30 AM

The battery should be in a box which protects it from spray.
The caps are on pretty tight, that should keep water out. They are not designed to be used underwater for any length of time, but spray should not bother it.
The Blue Optima type "sealed" battery works best.
After a dunking, I would rinse with fresh water and clean the terminals.

HarleyFXDL
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/09 - 12:13 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

There are instances when a car battery powers the lights long after a car has been submerged.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

captaincurt
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/09 - 3:45 PM

My batteries and boxes were cut in my console floor when I got my Montauk and I would do it again . Battery switch is in same area . Only an issue when getting them out but worth the effort in my opinion

Guts
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 12:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

captaincurt wrote:Only an issue when getting them out but worth the effort in my opinion

The only reason to take them out is to replace them, or am I missing something.

Derwd24
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 12:21 PM

Comments: 9

In colder climates guys like to take them out for the winter, keep them in a warmer basement, and trickle charge....

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

JohnnyCW
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 2:16 PM

Guts wrote:
captaincurt wrote:Only an issue when getting them out but worth the effort in my opinion

The only reason to take them out is to replace them, or am I missing something.

I take mine out occasionally to keep them from getting stolen.

Phil T
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 2:52 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

For you Florida guys, in January it's -5 to 5 degrees for a few weeks. Add to this a bit (100 inches) of snow.

Typically, we take the battery and electronics off the boat to prevent damage.

If I go out (anything over 35 degrees and no ice jam) I just reinstall.

Fish - While the stern is the OEM location, I prefer my battery in the console, "just in case" you stuff the bow or take one over the stern. One less thing to worry about.

Edited by Phil T on 08/27/09 - 3:45 PM

whalerman
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 3:28 PM

Comments: 5

HI, a few things to remember about a lead acid type battery, "sealed" or not, is when being charged they emitt hydrogen gas, one of their traits. being "closed" up in a console just might not be the best thing. The gas is deadly and very explosive. Another thing to know is that they don't like alot of pounding, shifting about somewhat violently. The further you move them FWD the more action, so to speak, they will see. I've had my 19 outrage "burried", not on purpose!!, and with no problems. I can see the point on moveing the weight FWD, but just a few things to think about. My 2 cents.......

THOM : 1999 Outrage 18, 2012 E-TEC 150, 2012 EZ Loader trailer

Guts
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 4:42 PM
Personal Page

As Derwd24 pointed out I WAS Missing Something... I very rarely see snow, but have seen pictures on some personal pages. It looks nice but wouldn't want to live in it. It never accrued to me about freezing tempters. (over 100° here to day)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as being stolen If they can get them out they can have them.. If they really want them there's nothing you can do, in my option. I just would hate to clean up the bloody mess, from there skinned knuckles and scraped arms.
When I do remove the batteries I unscrew the Z legs and remove the gas tank.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never had a problem with Gases caused by charging I leave the doors open when this needs to be done, The only time I charge the batteries if it has been sitting for a long time. I do take the electronics off every thing on the out side of the console but nothing inside the console.

I have had good luck using one of these to fill the batteries with distilled water.

http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/produ...edium=base

Edited by Guts on 08/27/09 - 4:56 PM

JohnnyCW
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 6:07 PM

Guts wrote: As far as being stolen If they can get them out they can have them.. If they really want them there's nothing you can do, in my option. I just would hate to clean up the bloody mess, from there skinned knuckles and scraped arms.

A few years ago I had two Yamaha 250's stolen off the transom of my Proline while it was in the water. It sometimes amazes me the effort a crook will go through. Though admittedly, batteries are just too easy to steal from somebody else if your's are too much trouble.

Guts
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 6:22 PM
Personal Page

JohnnyCW sorry you had to go thru that.
If some one stole my engine I would go buy another one cost two hunderd fifty bucks deductable. After all that is why we buy it isn't it. I would like a new one. Not a invitation! but Reality... mine is nine years old now.

JohnnyCW
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/09 - 7:55 PM

The insurance covered the theft. Unfortunately the insurance doesn't cover the time and aggravation.

I'd have liked to have watched the feat though. Besides being incredibly angry, I was amazed.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 5:38 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Burton989
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,058
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,291,836 unique visits