View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
13' 1958-1963 Whaler Standard Project Help
Rappahanock_Rooky
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/09 - 4:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

OK all you Whaler Experts. I am new to the site and like most others have found my way here because my path has crossed a Whaler in need.

I have created a Personal Page so you can see pictures of what I believe is a 13' Standard circa 1958-1963. Since she is pre-1972, she doesn't have a Hull Identification Number (HIN) plate and the owner painted the inside with a Non-Skid paint. I am currently working on historical records to try and find out the actual Stenciler serial number and year is. The owner (in her 80's) says she had it since 1953 but we know that they didn't start making these gems until 1958. I am thinking she might mean 1963.

Somewhere around 1980 or 1981 she had the interior repainted and it looks like the wood was replaced with an awful plywood. Side rails appear to be original. From the pictures you can see the exterior and interior and some of the gel coat appears to be gone. I have searched the web for restoration ideas and have seen both personal restorations and ones done by professionals. In my case I don't have the time to sand, sand, sand, paint, etc., so I am looking for advice or recommendations of professionals who can restore this baby.

She isn't going back into the water until she is fixed because I am concerned about the exposed fiberglass mesh on the interior floor and don't want to do any more damage. It took us all day to get the leaves and dirt outta her! Why people park open boats under trees I can't understand for the life of me. Let me know your thoughts and I will post more pics. Right now I am in the planning stage so I am not set on any specific direction other than I want to restore this gem. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 08/12/09 - 8:29 PM

Bake
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/09 - 4:45 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

If you have looked around here much you know that you can do a little or a lot. You can go mild or wild. One thin is for sure, not much beats the pride you feel when people complement your effort. I restored a 15 footer and sold it some time later. The guy I sold it to still has to tell folks, No he did not do the work but his friend did. keep looking at all the projects you can. Once you decide on a direction take some small steps that way. I say small steps to start with because you will change your mind on things along the way. Just stay flexible.

Binkie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/09 - 7:50 PM
Personal Page

When I bought my 1961 13 footer the registration said 1961. When I started restoring the hull, I found the hull number on the floor of the forward hatch, and the number matched with the numbers from 1961. Try removing the paint in the center area of the floor of that forward hatch, with some paint remover. The number is stenciled in white letters about an inch high in the gelcoat. Paint remover won't remove the numbers.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 08/12/09 - 8:30 PM
Rich

LabCab
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/09 - 8:02 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Welcome. I live in Richmond too but the boat is in the OBX. I had a lot of paint on the interior and it took forever to remove. Check my personal page. Someone here recommended Tidewater Soda Blasters to remove paint and I regret not having it done. I believe a member here named MadHunt had a bare hull reglassed in Richmond. You should pm him to find out who did it and what it costs. You might also try putting a want on the local Craigslist for someone to gel coat or Awlgrip but that could turn out to be risky.

Binkie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/09 - 8:14 PM
Personal Page

Or you could do all the work yourself and learn a lot and get a lot of personal satisfaction from the project. Writing checks is not a lot of fun!

Edited by Tom W Clark on 08/12/09 - 8:29 PM
Rich

Tom W Clark
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/12/09 - 8:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Rich offers some good advice. The Stenciled serial number is there, just painted over. If it is as early as you suspect, the number will be in the bow locker interior and/or the inside the splashwell on the transom under the motor.

The Stenciled number was gel coated onto the mold before the gel coat was applied so it cannot be removed without grinding off all the gel coat in that area.

Binkie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 4:18 AM
Personal Page

Looks like a nice project. While you have the boat stripped down it would be a good idea to weigh it to see if there is any water penetrating into the foam in the hull. It`s easy to do. First level the hull on the trailer, and put a bathroom scale under each wheel including the tongue wheel, one wheel at a time. Then add the numbers, remove the boat from the trailer and weigh the trailer the same way. A stripped 13 footer with no interior should weigh under 300lbs. Mine weighed 280 lbs. A quick test is to lift a corner of the stern. An average person should be able to lift the rear quarter without straining. I once found a 13 footer for sale and tried to lift it, and couldn't`t budge it. I quickly walked away. Obviously the boat in question had no motor.

Rich

Turpin
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 8:34 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 20

My 63' stenciled number too was located in forward locker.
If you find yours here is the link that you figurre the year.
http://whalercentral.com/articles.php...icle_id=61

1963 13' Sport 50hp Evinrude
Maintaining a level of sanity that is socially acceptable

jsb91010
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 1:37 PM

here is what my # looked like...was HARD to find..notice it's pretty much infront of that drain...I too had to sand lightly some paint off to find it. But it's a dang good feeling when ya do!!!!
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q1...1250195711

moose
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/13/09 - 2:44 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

In the third pic on your personal page if you will move your left hand about a foot to the left you might find the number right at the bottom of the transom. That's where mine is.
Mike

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 2:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
andresj
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,043
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,223,303 unique visits