View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Inherited 2004 Montauk 170 w/ some issues....
Robin Mast3rs
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/09 - 6:32 AM

Comments: 0

I have inherited a faily new Montauk 170 w/ 90hp(3cyl) Saltwater with a few issues. Boat had been sitting for over a year when I got it. Changed the plugs, put in fresh gas, oil, installed new battery, vhf(freebie), prop and gave a thorough cleaning. Cranked right up. Seemed to run well. During run, found the tubing that connects to the brass fitting on back of block for the water pressure gauge is split and leaks water. It appears the connector is factory installed to the tubing. Tubing is very small. Do I replace the entire tube from motor to gauge? Or is there another option? I would like to keep the gauge. Is this a dealer specific item? I plan to plug the hole until I can get it fixed/replaced. The bow light bulb is gone, as in not there. Anyone have a part # or size/type for the bow bulb for a 2004 montauk 170 so I can pick up one at West Marine or someplace? There is no vhf antenna on the boat. It has a bimini top so I am limited as far as placement and size. Any reccomendations? I hope to get it out soon. I think this is totally possible as soon as the leak is taken care of. Any help much appreciated as I am a new Whaler owner. Thanks.

joninnj
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/09 - 7:51 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Hi Robbin,

Congrads on the new Whaler... Sound like you have Merc 90? None of the issues are a big deal at all.

The Bulb should be a standard bulb, I believe type 91 but not sure you can get any auto/marine supply (yes West Marine).

The water pressure tube is a engine/brand specific part. Can be ordered from a dealer. This may also be a stock item very easy to fix. You will need to remove the fitting on both ends and replace the entire tube (if I recall they use compression nuts/fittings).

In the interim, do you have the plug that was originally was in the block where that brass fitting is? If not you can try temporarily plugging the tube or duck tape it (a Rube Goldberg fix) until you get a replacement. I do not think that it puts out much pressure so duct tape and nylon wire ties may work for the short term only (must be bone dry).

Now if the split is at the fitting or very close you may be able to remove the fitting at the block cut the damaged end then re-install. This assumes you have enough loose tubing...

Good luck

Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

womms
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/09 - 9:39 AM
Personal Page

Robin, as far as the VHF antenna goes, you could get a 3' SS or 4' fiberglass center console antenna and mount it to the grab rail. Most likely you will not have enough clearence with the bimini up, but you can easily fold the antenna down when the bimini in use.

Michael
1989 Outrage 22' Whaler Drive, 2014 Honda 250

Robin Mast3rs
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/11/09 - 8:32 PM

Yes it is a 90hp(3cyl.) 2 stroke merc. saltwater. I called the local Merc. Dealer. They did not know if it was an engine or Whaler part either. Told me they would research it and get back to me. I didn't hear back from them yet. I'll try a type 91 for the light next time I'm out that way. Kinda sucks to have to replace the entire tube but I'll do it if I have to to keep the gauge. The merc. place did have the plug for the motor and I have it now. I will take out the fitting and plug it up. Hopefully I can find a plug for the back of the fitting once I have it in hand so I can put it back on as it is the connection for the hose flush. Do you know if it is alright to flush with rabbit ears(muffs) until I can reconnect it proper? Thanks for the info.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 6:57 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 2
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,226,237 unique visits