View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
side rails 1966 Sakonnet
GerryMiller
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/09 - 6:20 PM

Comments: 0

I am trying to find the specs for mounting the side rails on my 1966 Sakonnet. It is a project boat that I am trying to rejuvenate. I bought it disassembled and the original holes in the hull side have been filled. They don't match up with the fittings on the rails. If someone can give me the correct mounting specs, I would like to install them in the proper location. Is there wood embedded for mounting these? Thanks for any help.
Gerry

modenacart
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/09 - 6:25 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Are you sure you matched them up correctly? My rails go on a specific side, they are not interchangeable. On mine the "short" end section goes forward.

modenacart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/09 - 6:25 PM
Personal Page

Failed to mention I have a 74 currituck soon to be montauk.

GerryMiller
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/09 - 8:09 PM

modenacart wrote:
Are you sure you matched them up correctly? My rails go on a specific side, they are not interchangeable. On mine the "short" end section goes forward.

I will double check tomorrow. Thanks for your input.
Gerry

Jim R
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/09 - 8:35 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Gerry,

I've got a '68 Sakonnet I'm restoring and I'll measure the original location of the side rail mounts tomorrow. There is wood behind them. I've got an old drawing that I'll check as well but I think the wood is 3/4" plywood about the size of an index card for each of the side mounts. The bottom mounts go into wood that runs up each side of the boat. I'll post some measurements by tomorrow afternoon and maybe they'll at least get you in the vicinity.

Jim

GerryMiller
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/09 - 8:36 PM

Jim R wrote:
Gerry,

I've got a '68 Sakonnet I'm restoring and I'll measure the original location of the side rail mounts tomorrow. There is wood behind them. I've got an old drawing that I'll check as well but I think the wood is 3/4" plywood about the size of an index card for each of the side mounts. The bottom mounts go into wood that runs up each side of the boat. I'll post some measurements by tomorrow afternoon and maybe they'll at least get you in the vicinity.

Jim

That's great news, Jim! Thanks.
Gerry

modenacart
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/09 - 5:48 AM
Personal Page

Gerry,

If you see the old holes you can use them for a guide on how high to do the side fixtures. There is a wood diagram in the download sections also. The measurements for mine are as follows:

The aft rail base is about 3.5 inches from transom. The side fixtures are all between 1 and 0.75 inches from top.

GerryMiller
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/09 - 12:58 PM

modenacart wrote:
Gerry,

If you see the old holes you can use them for a guide on how high to do the side fixtures. There is a wood diagram in the download sections also. The measurements for mine are as follows:

The aft rail base is about 3.5 inches from transom. The side fixtures are all between 1 and 0.75 inches from top.

OK, Thanks for that info. The original holes have been covered by filler and primer. Your measurements are sure to help.
Gerry

modenacart
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/09 - 1:25 PM
Personal Page

I plan on sanding my hull down, so I just sanded in the area I though they would be and found them.

Jim R
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/09 - 5:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Gerry,

My Sakonnet had the side rails mounted as follows:

Measuring from the inside of the transom, the aftermost vertical rail base is mounted at 4.5". From there, the next is at 34.5", followed by 65.5" and finally the forward most base is located at 87.5". I just laid the tape along the whole ledge to get these measurements.

The standoffs for each vertical rail are mounted 1" to 1-1/4" below the cap. They are all a little different but within that range.

These measurements were virtually the same on both sides. There may have been a 16th of an inch difference here and there, but mostly negligible. There is 3/4" thick wood backing about 3" X 5" behind each of the standoffs so there should be room to play with. I had to drill out each screw hole with a 3/8" forstner bit and glue in mahogany plugs. The wood wasn't rotted, but the holes were wallowed out.

I hope this helps. I'd post the wood drawing that I have but it is hardly legible. It gives me a headache just to look at it. It does seem pretty close to the newer wood locating diagram for the 17s located on WC.

Good Luck!

GerryMiller
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/09 - 8:30 PM

Jim R wrote:
Gerry,

My Sakonnet had the side rails mounted as follows:

Measuring from the inside of the transom, the aftermost vertical rail base is mounted at 4.5". From there, the next is at 34.5", followed by 65.5" and finally the forward most base is located at 87.5". I just laid the tape along the whole ledge to get these measurements.

The standoffs for each vertical rail are mounted 1" to 1-1/4" below the cap. They are all a little different but within that range.

These measurements were virtually the same on both sides. There may have been a 16th of an inch difference here and there, but mostly negligible. There is 3/4" thick wood backing about 3" X 5" behind each of the standoffs so there should be room to play with. I had to drill out each screw hole with a 3/8" forstner bit and glue in mahogany plugs. The wood wasn't rotted, but the holes were wallowed out.

I hope this helps. I'd post the wood drawing that I have but it is hardly legible. It gives me a headache just to look at it. It does seem pretty close to the newer wood locating diagram for the 17s located on WC.

Good Luck!

This info is really appreciated. It is going to make my job much easier. Also, as you suggest, the backing blocks are big enough that I don't have to be right on. Great tip on the mahogany plugs.
Thanks much,
Gerry

GerryMiller
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/09 - 8:33 PM

Thanks to all for the needed info. You would think that after spending 7 years finishing off a 36' sailboat that this little whaler redo would be duck soup. Not so. They all have their secrets.
Gerry

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 12:30 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,483,444 unique visits