View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Makeover on 1974 Montauk
julian954
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 4:29 PM

Comments: 0

I just bought a 17 for my wife and kids to enjoy. I have a redone 1965 13 with a custom console and an Etec 40. The problem is it doesnt suit her playdate needs. She wants more moms and kids on board. I picked up this 17 that has been sitting with a blown engine for 4 years for $2,000.00. 3 days later, Bill Stokell, from Extreme Finishes in Fort Lauderdale has the boat completely stipped, sanded and ready for primer. He tells me we should try out the new Dupont Marine line products, and they comped us on the primer package. Nice, we like free products. Here is my problem, my painter wants me not to use the RPS seat, which is complete, he wants to completely update this boat, put all modern deck hardware, a minimalistic (narrower) than the console leaning post, avoid all railings, install a green windshield, etc. He wants to modernize the boat and I want to restore it! No one wants thier painter mad at them, especialy if he is your fishing buddy. Has anyone ever left the "mold" and done a modern interior on a classic Montauk? I love this site, and have surfed everywhere, but I havent come across a modernized version. Should I hold my guns for restored or flip to the other side. My painter says there is nothing like making people do a double take, and showing them what they havent seen...

Edited by julian954 on 07/26/09 - 4:31 PM

johnsjmc
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 4:50 PM

I would restore it and let your painter find his own frankenboat. I have a 17 guardian and am thinking about adding wood trim here and there as my wife and I like the vintage look. I would like any wood parts and a bow railing if you decide to take your painters advice. What does your wife think? John johnsjmc@sympatico.ca

Jeff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 4:58 PM

Comments: 34

Here is the thing, many do "modern" refurbs to Whalers with yellow or blue hulls, replace the RPS with some new leaning post, remove or greatly alter the OEM console along with many other things but, down the road those hulls sit on the market FOREVER. It seems like people who want to buy a used classic Whaler want it to look as close to OEM as possible. The boat is much more valuable done as an OEM restoration...period. It is kind of like classic cars. People who want a true classic want and will pay for more for one that looks like it rolled off the line than one pinstripes, fade paint jobs and goofy looking wheels. Anyway a nicely restored classy OEM looking Whaler will turn FAR MORE heads than a one done to look like everything else today. I am stopped at the boat ramp, at the beach, on the lake, at the gas station and many other places when people see my 1976 Newport just to talk about it. I even had one guy turn around and follow me some miles till I stopped for gas just so he could look about the boat.

When it comes down to it is YOUR boat and not the painter's (your buddy). If he really is a friend he will refinish the boat how you would like it done. If he will not listen take it elsewhere. He would have to Whaler-itis himself to understand.

Edited by Jeff on 07/26/09 - 5:17 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 5:49 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I'm far from a purist, and many thing's on my boat are NOT original but, in my view a "Boston Whaler" just want's to be what it is, a Whaler "Classic". The fun thing about Classic "Whaler's" is that when people look at them, they remember them from year's gone by. Fire your painter, keep your fishin buddy !
I can hear the gun's "Locking and Loading" right now, lol. It's your boat, do what "YOU" want to do to it ! I'm with you, go "Classic".

Matt

Phil T
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 6:16 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

While I can spout the purist theology like some of the best, it is your boat. The boat value will not appreciate so whatever you spend will not be returned on resale, regardless of what you do.

I have seen a few older 16/17's with aftermarket consoles/forward seats, a leaning post and no rails. They look functional and I am sure the owners like them as they are.

If you want to restore, respectfully explain that to your fishing buddy. If he is not interested, there are others to get the work done for you and keep the friendship.

Either way, it is, regardless of how we talk, just a boat.

Eri
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 7:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

As long as you keep that Boston Whaler sticker on the side your gonna get the compliments. I altered my 18 a little from original but i get compliments every time i take her to the ramp. Not only at the ramp, but on the way there at the grocery store, gas station, and stop lights. It's really unbelievable. Once your in the water you can't see the outside. I do consider myself a purist at heart. Good luck with it.

Bake
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 8:19 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

You answered your own question. You said you and your wife like the oem and the look of the wood. If you change your boat you will still lust after the oem boats you see at the dock. It is a sickness I am currently running a 1995 EdgeWater and it is a great boat but as I explained to my wife the only thing wrong with it is that it is not a whaler.

Now to answer the other part of your question. Yes I have done some modernizing to a whaler. I redone a 15 and used all oem lighting and hardware, and bought a mint wood interior from a super sport. I painted the inside oyster white and the outside fighting lady yellow. It was beautiful. Like Jeff I am not sure I ever left home that I did not get complements on the boat. Once was just a thumbs up on the road. To me the trick is to keep it whaler even if it is not the correct year. My latest project is a 1976 outrage to low pro conversion. I had planned on factory console and rps. After a long search I found the parts needed. Now I have changed up to an rps from a dauntless and have updated the console with new gauge cluster and starboard doors from a newer whaler. The hull will have color on the side as well. I also have a set of the chrome logos for the side. My hope is that the most asked question of the finished project will be, What year model whaler is that. For that to happen all the parts have to scream whaler. An aftermarket console or Todd flip flop seat and the gig is up so to speak.

You have the parts and you already know what you like so keep her stock. I really think if you will regret it if you do not.

Jim R
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 5:45 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I am going to echo much of the same sentiments as everyone else. I recently got my hands on a '68 Sakonnet, and I seriously debated whether to restore to look like original, or to implement more modern components and hardware. I've been working on custom sport boats and yachts for many years and can think of a hundred different ways to change my Whaler. At the end of the day, I decided that I would restore to the original look and design. That's the best way to maintain the value of the boat and enjoy its appeal. Like so many folks, remembering the early Whalers and the summer fun assigned to them makes me want things like the funky looking mahogany consoles with the red-knobbed morse control. All that being said, I personally think that a few personal details are certainly ok if it makes one happy. I've chosen to make a few changes that are not necessarily visible, but better for the boat. My new transom, for example, is stronger than the original and has no way for water to penetrate. I'm sure spending a lot of money on hardware, however, to keep the boat looking original. Do whatever makes you happy and don't let any painters push you around!!

julian954
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 9:01 PM

Thank you all for your input, but I feel resposible for clarifying a few things. First off, I cant ask my wife's opinion about the wood seat because the boat is a surprise for her. She is on a road trip with the kids and has no idea this will be here for her when she returns. Second, my friend/ painter/ fishing buddy is not trying to bully me, nor is he interested in making a "Frakenboat". He is trying to offer low cost, low maintenace solutions to get this boat in an attractive, functional, space saving state. He is pointing out deck areas that will have waterskis, tubes, fins, etc. There is no original wood left on the console, the door and the compartment have been previously replaced with black plexi. so he figures just starboard everything, including the bow hatch. Today, I bought a factory leaning post (RPS) out of a '96 Montauk, and I will install it and place my original one for sale. I will have a wood hatch made forward, and have wood doors made for the console, as well as a wood bench aft. I will relocate battery forward to console, and have a clean look. My painter has restored many classic Challenger flats boats, and has redone about everything that floats under 40 feet. He is very familiar with classic looks,teak spray rails, and nothing looks better than teak or mohagony that he West systems and coats with Imron high solids clear. My 13 whaler benches look terrific, 3 years later! I want to thank eveyone again for all of the input, and I feel I am on the right coarse. I would love to post a before pic, but I just dont know how yet. There will be afters in about 10 days! Mini season starts in two days, and that is like a national holiday. Thank you all again

Bake
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/09 - 4:21 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

Sounds like you are pretty satisfied with the direction of the makeover. I think it will look good. Updated whaler still looks whaler. Is the rps you bought the same size as the one you had, only with the starboard back? Looking at some pictures on boat trader the black plexi looks to have been installed on the mid to late 90's. So you might not be as far off oem as you think. just let us see her when you are done.

stevebaz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/09 - 12:24 PM
Personal Page

Wife and more Kids: are you sure you want to get rid of the rails?

MW
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/09 - 2:24 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Ya gonna need the "Rail's".

Matt

S0uthernrebel78
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/09 - 5:10 PM

I'm looking to do a morden refit on my 1986 17 montauk but this is my boat and how i want it, in the end you do what you want but keep us updated on what you do and the final outcome

tkhvdh
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/09 - 7:54 PM

Comments: 20

Sounds like a great surprise for your family. My 92 has the original black plexiglass doors so you are just updating.

The reason people like them is because it is a whaler.

Please get some pics posted of this rebuild, good luck to you.

Paulsv
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/09 - 8:06 AM
Personal Page

I love my classic 76 Montauk, but I can see the attraction of taking an inexpensive hull and doing a complete custom with it. For one thing, you would get a boat that is specifically designed for the way you want to use it. As for the railings, I agree that with kids and lots of passengers, the railings are a safety must. One of the things I love about the Montauk is that it is so open to the water, while in many boats you feel enclosed and isolated from the water. But the low sides mean that you just gotta have railings. If you go the custom route, it might be cool to do the classic railings, but in a different finish than bright stainless. Perhaps anodized aluminum, or black chrome.

brooks89
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/09 - 4:31 PM

It's your boat, build it the way you want and enjoy it!

Within reason and as long as it's done well, I don't think there's too much to worry about regarding the "value" or "appreciation" of the boat. Yes, there are people out there who want a fully restored OEM authentic Whaler, but there's plenty of people who want a well maintained, functional, safe, attractive boat they can use and enjoy. Sounds like you and your buddy are working well together and your boat will be beautiful. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

A look at my personal page will show you a 17' hull with a custom swing back seat, an aftermarket console, and no high rails. It's certainly not factory but I get plenty of compliments and more than one person has asked for right of first refusal if I want to sell.

I prefer not having those classic high rails Whalers are famous for. In fact I imagine them being inconvenient when getting people and things on and off board

Paul Graham
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/09 - 8:08 PM
Personal Page

I like a low maintenance boat, so I did a modern refit on my 1970 whaler, it had an after market center console but everthing else was Whaler. It looked quite modern, check out my personal page. I have sold the boat and I am restoring a 1978 Montauk and have aquired a fibglass seat back for the RPS, the new boat will have no wood, but it will look very good and it will be totally Whaler

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 7, 2024 - 5:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
jshllen1980
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,059
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,298,615 unique visits