View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Removing paint stainless steering wheel
tkhvdh
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/09 - 4:42 PM

Comments: 20

Has anyone had a stainless wheel that had been painted black by Boston Whaler?

My bright white hull 1992 Montauk SE had this as part of the special edition. It has never looked right and parts of the paint peeled off.

Would like to take wheel off (how) and remove all paint, then buff wheel back to new look.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/28/09 - 8:34 PM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/09 - 4:46 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Take the wheel off and soak it in acetone or use paint stripper...
Whatever it takes to get it off and then polish if necessary.

tkhvdh
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 7:32 PM

Joe Kriz wrote:
Take the wheel off and soak it in acetone or use paint stripper...
Whatever it takes to get it off and then polish if necessary.

Do you need a wheel puller or is there a trick to release wheel from stud after removing bolt and washer?

Plan on using some bartenders helper on wheel.

Why BW ever painted stainless wheel is beyond me.

Bake
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 8:50 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

The trick to getting the wheel off is to loosen the nut to the top of the threaded shaft. Either have someone hold pressure on the wheel or use a flat pry bar if you are alone and tap the nut shaft with a hammer. the wheel will pop off. leave the nut on to protect the threads and yourself when the wheel pops off.

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 8:58 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

tkhvdh wrote:

Do you need a wheel puller or is there a trick to release wheel from stud after removing bolt and washer?

Plan on using some bartenders helper on wheel.

Why BW ever painted stainless wheel is beyond me.

Boston Whaler never painted the stainless steering wheel that I have ever seen. I believe someone else painted it for you.

Guts
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 9:06 PM
Personal Page

The union between the steering wheel and the shaft it drives is a tapered shaft like a "Morse Taper" most likely with a "key way on it" use a pulling pressure on the wheel a tap the shaft with out damaging the threads after you have removed the nut of coarse. Here is a example of the fitting at your helm /shaft & wheel.
you can click on small picture... just imagine the shaft running thru with threads and a nut.

http://www.totaljoints.info/Mechanics..._taper.htm

Edited by Guts on 07/26/09 - 9:13 PM

Tom W Clark
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 9:56 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Many of the steering wheels on the CPD (CGP) boats were black. I am unsure if they were painted or if they were powerdercoated. I suspect the latter.

If the former, use a paint stripper. I recommend Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover. It is the best I have ever found. The stainless steel will not be harmed in any way.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 07/26/09 - 10:01 PM

Tom W Clark
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 9:59 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I just checked the catalogs. Yes, the 1992 Montauk SE had a black painted steering wheel as part of that package. See the top photo on Page 30 in the 1992 Whaler catalog. Not such a good look.

Edited by Tom W Clark on 07/26/09 - 10:00 PM

Joe Kriz
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/09 - 11:43 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Good catch Tom...

The catalog does mention the black wheel for the SE model.
And the stainless steering wheel for the Classic Montauk.
You have to look close at the photos to see that the SE is black.
Strange. The console railing and the bow and side rails are stainless and not painted black.

Another feature I just noticed is the side and bow rails have sharp angle bends instead of one large radius bend.
This feature only seems to be on the SE model Montauks.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=13426

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/28/09 - 8:40 PM

tkhvdh
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 8:04 PM

Tom W Clark wrote:
I just checked the catalogs. Yes, the 1992 Montauk SE had a black painted steering wheel as part of that package. See the top photo on Page 30 in the 1992 Whaler catalog. Not such a good look.

TOM and JOE

I bought mine from the original owner through the marina he bought it from. Was used very little and stored under his house with a cover. Still had a shine on her.

The wheel was painted flat black and there are black foam grips on the grab rails around windshield. Hull is bright white. Never liked the black wheel it was stainless steel for a reason. Trying to restore her to steel w/o any paint.

Have been using barkeepers helper....That stuff brought back the white bottom and even got rust off my trailer.

Edited by tkhvdh on 07/28/09 - 6:46 AM

tkhvdh
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 8:07 PM

Guts wrote:
The union between the steering wheel and the shaft it drives is a tapered shaft like a "Morse Taper" most likely with a "key way on it" use a pulling pressure on the wheel a tap the shaft with out damaging the threads after you have removed the nut of coarse. Here is a example of the fitting at your helm /shaft & wheel.
you can click on small picture... just imagine the shaft running thru with threads and a nut.

http://www.totaljoints.info/Mechanics..._taper.htm

Thanks GUTS,

Will give her a try in the a.m., knew there was some "trick" to it and your help is very kind.

Safe boating.

Guts
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/09 - 9:30 PM
Personal Page

Have been using barkeepers helper...

Don't forget soft scrub. it's good also

Joe Kriz
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/09 - 12:17 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

We have done a little more research on the SE model with the black steering wheel.

We found that the first model with the black steering wheel and the sharp bends in the rails as opposed to the large radius bend on the ends is the 1991 30th Anniversary model.

Apparently the 30th Anniversary model is the forerunner of the SE model.

So there are 3 years and 2 different models with the black steering wheel in the recreational series Whalers.
1. 1991 Montauk 30th Anniversary Model
2. 1992 & 1993 Montauk SE Model

We do not have any members with a personal page showing a 30th Anniversary model Montauk but you can look that up in the 1991 Brochure (not the catalog) if you have the brochure or Tom W Clarks CD Collection.

We do have one member with a 1993 Montauk SE who has a personal page.
You can see the black steering wheel and the sharp bends on all the ends of the railings.
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=13426

tkhvdh
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/09 - 12:57 PM

Montauk SE Model

Joe you are right on point that is the boat in my driveway. It also has the plexiglass hatch covers on the console.

I do miss the beauty and classic look of the wood but not the upkeep. My prevoius BW 15 cc had the real wood seats and bow locker. Was kept in the garage and looked as good when sold as when I bought her.

I miss her (15cc) still today and wish I had her for river trips. You could ride all day on six gallons of fuel.

Joe Kriz
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/09 - 7:02 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Glad we got it figured out.

tkhvdh
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/09 - 11:35 AM

UPDATE,

Thanks for suggestions and guidance everyone.

I did get the wheel removed and just yesterday finished her up.

All that black paint put on at BW Factory is now gone. I used a single edge razor and some elbow grease. After that I gave her a good clean and buff with barkeepers helper. Rinse and dried with a soft cloth. She looks almost as good as new. Have not put anything else on wheel.

tkhvdh
#17 Print Post
Posted on 02/13/10 - 8:45 PM

Well it snowed just north of here yesterday. It really should not do that here in FLORIDA. Can't wait to get Whaler weather back here. I enjoyed my few trips out last season and will be getting back to a spring cleaning soon. Many thanks to all who have helped me with support and kindness.

I really want to get a nice shine back on her. No major problems just really dull and needs elbow grease.

Any suggestions to brighten gelcoat?

Bake
#18 Print Post
Posted on 02/14/10 - 6:44 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I Got that snow you mention here in Savannah. Last time we got snow to stick was 1989. It is pretty but I sure am looking forward to shorts and flip flop's. More importantly warm weather to finish the whaler and wet her this summer

tkhvdh
#19 Print Post
Posted on 02/14/10 - 8:38 PM

Bake wrote:
I Got that snow you mention here in Savannah. Last time we got snow to stick was 1989. It is pretty but I sure am looking forward to shorts and flip flop's. More importantly warm weather to finish the whaler and wet her this summer

Hey BAKE, I just went through your photo album and you have got one great project going there. Was in Savannah right before New Years and had a great time although it wasn't really boating weather. Hold on it's going to warm up. Will look forward to updated pics, please let me know. You have a great area for her up there.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 8:21 PM
Users Online
Welcome
kaiamiller105
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,045
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,245,792 unique visits