View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
rough water
BCarroll
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/09 - 7:46 PM

Comments: 0

Good day,
I have a 1974 boston whaler 13.5 with a 40 honda and its a good boat i live right on the water on cape cod on a bay. But i really want to see if i can bring it a little farther like to marthas Vinyard which is about 8 km out. I just dont no how seaworthy my boat is annd how will it handle in choppy water ? Are they good safe reliable boats to take out there or are they to small and to risky.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/22/09 - 7:47 PM

scostagl
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/22/09 - 8:03 PM

Could it be done? Yes. On the right day, almost any size boat can be taken out on that trip. But realisticaly, in a 13 whaler, that is really pushing it and would be a significant risk. I've been in a 33' Bertram around those waters and felt uncomfortable as it can get very nasty very quickly. If it were me, I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

kamie
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 4:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Seaworthy and handling chop are very different. It is not a question the boat will handle it, the question is can you? Any 13 foot boat will pound in the chop, it's not long enough to skip the wave tops or heavy enough to plow thru and the whaler is no different. Aside from the pounding how are your seamanship skills? Those waters can go from calm to nighmare in no time, are you always watching the sky, are you prepared to head home at the first sign of trouble or better yet, prepared to stay in a safe harbour until the weather clears. Your question was about the boat, and the boat would be fine, but only you can decide if you are prepared.

arthureld
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 5:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

I wouldn't attempt it. If I did, it would be along with other boats in case I decided to be towed.

chiburis4
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 5:57 AM
Personal Page

Not a good idea. The rip in that area can and has been deadly. The wind can pick up in a matter of minutes and things will look very different. A 13' will all of the suddeen look really small.

Tig
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 7:51 AM
Personal Page

I don't know your waters, but they look pretty big.
I'm proud of my "unsinkable legend" but in reality that claim means it will wash up on shore as a testament to a mistake.
Take a couple waves over the bow and it's like an extra person sloshing around in the stern to add to your troubles.
Even clinging to a capsized/swamped boat in rough water is bound to get you beaten unconscious.
I would not be in any rush to test the ocean. Mother nature can be cruel.

HarleyFXDL
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 8:14 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

I've traveled those waters on the ferry. Fog moved in rather quickly one trip, and it made the trip interesting. The ferry has radar and is large. Imagine a large boat or the ferry coming out of the fog 20 yard in head of you. I agree with the others, the boat can make the trip, you need to decide if you can. If you get to Nantucket or MV, and the weather turns foul, are you prepared to wait out the storm on the islands?

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

MW
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 9:11 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

It's NOT "Sea Worthy", it's only 13' long, this classifies it as a "Tender" (under 16'). I would'nt do it, let's give "Search & Rescue" the day off !

Edited by MW on 07/23/09 - 9:14 AM
Matt

ponyboy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 9:36 AM
Personal Page

I think it was 16 years ago today that three teenagers capsized a 13 Whaler on the way back from Oak Bluffs to Falmouth. Two of the three died. I'm not entirely sure of the circumstances but just goes to show anything can happen.

Some of the article is here:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-8237522.html

I recently took my 150 Montauk from Falmouth to Oak Bluffs just for a ride. Conditions were glass like. However, I would not spend any length of time on the island as conditions in that area change very quickly. Especially in the afternoon.

Ponyboy.

Edited by ponyboy on 07/23/09 - 9:56 AM

flippa
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/09 - 2:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I have done a bunch of boating around the Cape. A few years ago me & my wife were on vacation for the week. I wanted to go boating & she wanted to catch the World Cup soccer game. Decided to do both, left Sesuit Harbor in Dennis & made the run to P-town.

Had a great afternoon; beautiful sunny day, no wind, dead-flat calm seas going there. The weather was supposed to be good. We anchored in the shallows of the harbor, got an open window seat at a pub, had a nice lunch & enjoyed soccer (and watched life prancing & frolicking by on Main Street).

We left & wife wanted to go shopping. I decided that we shouldn't hang out because the wind had just slightly picked-up from the south; we gotta go. Left P-town heading into the wind & small choppy waves. They turned into very large waves at rediculously close intervals before we got back to Dennis. I was in a 21 Outrage with full canvas, and the boat was still way too small to be out in that ugliness.

THe weather changes real fast. A beautiful flat day in the morning can turn into a stormy mess real fast when the afternooon breeze starts. I wouldn't think of doing it in a 13.

Edited by flippa on 07/23/09 - 2:40 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 3:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,567 unique visits