View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
hardware and measurements 13'
longhorizon
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/09 - 5:56 AM

Comments: 0

I'm nearing completion on rehabing my 1966 13'3" Whaler.

Questions -
1) What size screws were originally used to fasten the mahogany side boards to the boat?
2) For a non-steering wheel (tiller steered) set-up, what is the distance from forward side of false transom to back edge of rear seat?
3) What is the correct placement of the Boston Whaler decals (ie. how far down, how far forward)?

Brief description of work completed: The boat was in reasonably good shape for a >40 year old boat that's been stored outside all of its life. Gel coat mostly intact though with several poorly done fiberglass patches. The gel coat on the inside was strangely pock-marked with small (3-5mm) craters where little cup like pieces of gelcoat separated out. (I've never seen this before on many other boats I've owned).

I sanded off all bottom paint with orbital sander (down to gelcoat). Sanded topsides as well. Repaired patch work and filled all chips, depressions, gouges, etc. with epoxy putty (using West System mostly). I covered the entire exterior of boat with 2 coats of Interlux Interproctect 2000, an epoxy barrier coat made for larger boats that spend multi seasons in the water. (I had a gallon kit left over from my sailboat). Then sanded smooth. I will say that this worked really well and I would recommend this stuff in lieu of re gelcoating, etc. An excellent sealant and base coat. On that I applied (without additional primer) Interlux Perfection (Mediterranean White) on top sides and ablative bottom paint on bottom.

For interior I was originally going with Interlux Brightside but a post here on the forum discouraged me from using a single part paint (durability). Eventually I bit the bullet and went with Awlgrip. First powerwashed the interior, then filled in divets, etc. with epoxy fairing compound. Rolled 2 coats of Awlgrip filler/primer, sanded, then finished with 2 coats of Awlgrip 'Boston Whaler Blue', rolled and tipped. Looks fantastic. Sorry, no pictures yet.

Thank you for your help.

longhorizon

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 3:37 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,485,567 unique visits