View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
'86 Montauk - Photos - Good Deal?
rralston
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/09 - 12:40 PM

Comments: 0

I'm looking at buying an '86 Montauk with '94 Evinrude 70hp power. The seller is asking $7,800. He tells me that the motor was serviced and a new power pack added last month. No hull paint and from the pictures it looks relatively clean. Minor things missing like the 72qt cooler and rear seat. Trailor included but no canvas. I'm looking for a bit of a project but still want a good base to start from at a fair price. Is $6-$6,500 a good offer price? I posted the photos at flickr. Click below to view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40581502...522610571/

Edited by rralston on 07/18/09 - 12:51 PM

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/09 - 4:28 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Photos are not an easy way to judge. In this case, I find the lighting and distance away makes it really hard to see much.

Why would you say the rear seat is missing? Did the boat have the rear wrap around bench seat option and the owner no longer has it?

The seller's asking price is reasonable. Not many start out at the right price. A close up inspection of the hull, engine, wiring, trailer etc.

ioptfm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/09 - 4:28 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Boat appears to be in great shape, but bear in mind that the motor is 15 yers old. I would imagine that you will be facing either a total rebuild or motor replacement in the near future............Hopefully one of the Montauk owners here can give you some insight on the price

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

MW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/09 - 4:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I'm looking at a 16 yr old outboard, figure to re-power is going to be $7,000 when all is said and done, so I'd say that you are just looking at a "Hull".

Matt

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/18/09 - 4:46 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The front cooler seat and rear seat were options. This boat may have never had them.

The original size for the cooler was 86 qt... The replacement is the 94 qt which is the same width and length but 2 inch taller lid.
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=39

My motor is 25 years old an still going strong. You never know with a used engine so have it checked out by a mechanic.

robwhaler
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/09 - 5:54 AM

rral,

That boat looks like it's in good shape. I purchased an '84 with a '92 Merc 90 this past Feb. Paid $7500. Engine going strong (knock on wood). I rewired a lot. As Joe suggested put in Volt meter & water separator. This one is fresh water, looks like nicely cared for!

Good luck! I wouldn't wait too long though!

Regards,
Bob

WhalerDan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/09 - 6:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

My advice, take the boat for a long ride. Have motor checked out. Make a detailed list of all the things you want to change, add, or repair and calculate the cost. Add this cost to the price of the boat. Then decide if it's cheaper to find a more expensive boat that already has these things.

In the photos, the boat looks nice. Is the motor supposed to look like that or was it painted flat black?

mattgeiger
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/09 - 1:23 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I think it's a good price. Boat looks better than my freshwater 86 w/ 86 Johnson did when i paid $6 for it 1.5 year ago. Do good sea trial - be early so you see it fire when cold. Check the compression on that engine. Take a look at the lower unit oil.

Just about every engine is a gamble. Don't miss a good boat just because some folks think the engine is old.

Cape Dory 28
Hobie 20 Miracle
A Class Catamaran

wjsherid
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 9:46 AM
Personal Page

I see a small sign in teh background that says "Alleyways", is this boat in Muskegon MI? If so, let me know more details and I could get it checked out for you. I am from there originally and will be back up in that area later this week.

chris55386
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 10:19 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Just like Joe said i have a 25 year old motor that is working just fine. At this point i would not consider upgrading to a new motor and actually i am looking for a 1984 5 hp kicker motor that matches the 150.

rralston
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 11:13 AM

wjsherid wrote:
I see a small sign in teh background that says "Alleyways", is this boat in Muskegon MI? If so, let me know more details and I could get it checked out for you. I am from there originally and will be back up in that area later this week.

It is in Muskegon. That would be great if you could swing by for a look. Way above and beyond to offer.

I spoke with the seller today and he told me that he had the powerpack, oiling system and thermostat replaced and the motor runs strong. He hasn't had it out for a extended sea trial, though. I'd be happy to email you the contact information.

The cooler was included from the factory but lost. There was no rear seat. I would definitely re-run the wiring and move the battery to the center console.

wjsherid
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 1:52 PM
Personal Page

Let me know, not sure exactly my plans just yet.....but if you could send me the exact location, I'll see if I cannot get over there Saturday morning really early. I am supposed to leave on a boat for the week that morning, but may have a few minutes (I'll tell my wife I'm going to get coffee)

If the guy isn't opposed, I know a great mechanic in Muskegon that could do a compression check if the guy is willing to bring it over to him to do so. It may cost you $100 or so, but would be worth the $

Let me know...

Jeff
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 3:00 PM

Comments: 34

One thing that I noticed was the MC registration numbers end in SS which mean the boat was first registered in MC only 3 years ago. So, where did the boat live before it came to Michigan? Salt water?

I would offer to look at the boat for you as my In-Laws live in Grand Haven which is just 10 minutes from Muskegon. The only thing is I am not sure when the next time I am going to be able to get over there. It may be in a week, if that falls through it my be in 2 months.

1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

johnsjmc
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/09 - 7:17 PM

I looked at that boat about 3 weeks ago.It is in Muskegon Mi. The motor has been rebuilt apparently with a warranty on the powerhead. The problem up close is that the engine looks like it has been painted with a brush and has a welded "gob" on the lower unit where the casting was cracked and repaired when they removed it.
The hull is in fair shape I couldn,t find any soft or delaminated spots.there are no signs of collision repair. The rubrail backing strip is chipped at several spots.,there is no cooler seat but an igloo cooler is easy to buy at Walmart .The cooler mounts are there but one is broken. The bimini is from another boat ,the guy has added a couple of blocks of wood to space it in from the rail. There is a slight kink in the rear side rail (port side I think)The rear light is missing or some of its mounting is can't remember for sure.The woodwork is intack but I think it was either grey or dry or had been varnished. can,t remember I ,ve looked at several boats in the last month or so. The trailer has good tires.I am sure $7000 would have bought it then, . I offered $6000 and the owner turned it downI think he countered at $6750.I have a 2003 Merc 90 on an aluminum and was going to swap engines. A used cover from Ebay would make the evinrude look much better. Storey was he bought it a year ago at $5900 and blew the engine this spring.spent about $2000 on repairs.
He is underwater but I don,t know how much of his expense info was inflated for my benefit as I didn,t bother to look at all his bills.

Edited by johnsjmc on 07/22/09 - 3:42 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 5:22 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,486,684 unique visits