View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
LOTS of water in fuel tank
HarleyFXDL
#21 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/09 - 3:43 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

I am sure the cavity and foam is saturated. Well at least I now have a project for the winter. I called FMT yesterday. The new tank will be $711 and $188 shipping. Should be a fun project.

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

WhalerDan
#22 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/09 - 5:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I don't think the fuel tank cavity can hold more than a few gallons because the tank takes up most of the room. Raybo can get you a new tank with epoxy coat for $800. I don't know what the benefit of getting it from FMT is. What's with the roller trailer?

HarleyFXDL
#23 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/09 - 7:44 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

WhalerDan wrote:
What's with the roller trailer?

I'm not sure Dan, Did you see something?

Kevin

Phil T
#24 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/09 - 8:04 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I think Dan is questioning a trailer with side rollers instead of bunks.

Historically, there has been a heated discussion over keel rollers with bunks; float on (all bunks) and roller trailers. The bone of contention is the point load on the hull should be the keel and there could be possible damage if a roller trailer is used.

It may better to start a separate thread to discuss trailer types.

Edited by Phil T on 07/02/09 - 8:08 PM

HarleyFXDL
#25 Print Post
Posted on 07/03/09 - 6:28 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Gotcha Phil. Well, that is the trailer that came with the boat, had no choice. With all the water in the hull, the trailer is the least of my worries now.

I do have a question, the fuel line comes from a pick up in the stern end of the tank. The fuel lines runs through a tunnel that goes to the sump and up to the engine. This seems to me to be a terrible design. Any water in the sump can easily enter the tank area and foam when making any hard turns. What is supposed to stop water from entering this tunnel and filling up the hull? After some thought, I feel this is the entry point of all the water in my hull. Every time I lift up the deck plate, the access cover for the fuel tank is covered in water. The Viton gasket was shredded and therefore allowing water to easily enter the fuel tank.

Edited by HarleyFXDL on 07/03/09 - 7:25 PM
Kevin

HarleyFXDL
#26 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/09 - 12:44 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Took the boat out today on the 3 gal tank. Ran perfect and used the 3 gals in :45 mins. What a HUGH difference between the ride of an Outrage and a Montauk.

Kevin

Bub
#27 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/09 - 6:09 AM

I just got done removing my fuel tank in a 1984 18' outrage only to find the tank to be extremely corroded in spots but at first glance the tank looked pracitally ban new it was only after i removed it that i noticed the problem. . My intial concern was the fuel was not filling right the gas pump kept cutting off. when i pulled the deck lid i saw that the fill hose was collapsed and the rubber was falling apart so you may have more than one issue. good luck.

HarleyFXDL
#28 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/09 - 7:54 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I will guess that the tank might be corroded. From what I can see, the tank looks bad, can't imagine how it looks where I can't see! A local shop wants $150 to pressure test the tank. At this point, I feel I should replace the tank and hoses anyway. From what I am reading on this site, alot of people had to replace their tanks. I think I will sleep better at nights knowing I replaced, cleaned and properly re-sealed the whole fuel system. I did this on my Montauk, and had no more problems with engine reliability.

Kevin

scrimshaw
#29 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/09 - 12:49 PM

Comments: 0

When I first saw your boat I checked my finances to see if another craft could join my fleet , but with the addition of the Nordic Tug it just wasn't time. Rarely do we stumble upon such finds ,gelcoat in factory condition,engine pampered with winter indoor storage and documented infrequent use ! Thus the predicament your in, a rarely used boat suffers from non-use.
This might be hard to comprehend but an idle boat suffers from sitting.
My boat sat for years (20) all the rubber/plastic was brittle,hoses ,wires ect. but I had a good "canvas".
You are in a good place...a good boat....one of the best I've ever seen!!

If I can be of any assistance let me know.

WhalerDan
#30 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/09 - 3:10 PM
Personal Page

Kevin, I think Raybo could help you meet your goals. There tank fabricator guy is quick. I agree, spending money to pressure test is most likely a waste. You can get the caulking to reseal from Sue at Twin Cities, or just you a light almond color.

HarleyFXDL
#31 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/09 - 5:52 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Jim I hear you loud and clear. There are many things good about the boat. At 24 yrs old, repairs are expected. It is a great boat worth the repairs.

Kevin

HarleyFXDL
#32 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/09 - 5:59 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Dan, the funny thing about paying someone to do the job is I would expect them to do a better job than I could do. I can't see PAYING to get a lesser quality job. I like to take my time, make sure everything is cleaned up nice and organize everything in the tunnel. Not sure Raybo, or anyone for that matter, would work to that standard.

Kevin

elmroc
#33 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/09 - 7:32 AM
Personal Page

Harley, as you know, i just replaced my Outrage 18 tank.
I went the route of paying to have it done becuase, 1) i didn't have the time to do it myself, and 2) Warranty on the work.
I can't warranty my own work without paying for it. If the job goes bad after a period of time, at least i have recourse

Phil T
#34 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/09 - 9:37 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

With the wealth of posts on the task and Kevin's ability, I think a tank replacement is completely doable.

Given the high labor/service costs (i.e. pressure test for >$100) in southern NY, I think it is wise to DIY.

Eri
#35 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/09 - 11:31 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

That sounds like an awful lot of water for that small area. Maybe it leaked in through the fuel fill. Maybe someone left that off over the winter. Do a tank pressure test. If it has that big of hole it will surely not hold any air. Block off the fuel fill and vent line. Then take an air hose and shoot some air in the fuel line to see if you can hear any air escaping. If there is that much water you should here some bubbling even from under the cover.

HarleyFXDL
#36 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/09 - 5:29 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Got a price quote today starting at $2200. Seems a little high.

Kevin

sraab928
#37 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/09 - 4:39 AM
Project Albums

Comments: 13

Kevin, you can do it yourself. The hardest part of the job is getting it out. The tank itself will run around $500 to $800 - (not sure of the size but I just had 3 tanks quoted at 4 different shops. 2 70 Gallon and 1 40 Gallon - my fuel tank cost will be around $2300-) The other issue may be the condition of your deck hatch. With that much water under there be sure to examine the underside of hatch real good.

Scott
1974 21' Revenge w Mercury 200 ProXS V8

HarleyFXDL
#38 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/09 - 5:19 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Scott, I WILL be doing the job myself. Times are tough now and boating is a luxury, not a necessity. Charging top dollar in this market is a sure fire way of going out of business. I would have paid a reasonable price due to lack of time I have in the summer. In the winter, I don't do as much overtime. I will use the portable tanks to salvage the season. Thanks to all for all your help.

Kevin

Narragansett Outrage
#39 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/09 - 6:13 AM

Kevin,

My boat has a different layout from yours (have a 1984 22' Outrage with Cuddy), but as you know I did just go through the entire process of replacing the tank.

If there are any questions you have, I'll do my best to answer them. I also have photos of the process (where you'll notice that I have to work outdoors, in between looking after my two young boys).

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/oscarboscar/1984%20Boston%20Whaler%20Outrage/

As I said before, I did not foam-in my new tank; I shimmed it in with King Starboard (1/4" on the bottom and 3/4" on the sides), and installed a brass drain tube from the fuel cavity to the livewell (and again, not sure if you have the kind of set-up where you could do something like that).

With regards to the cost... look, I don't mind telling you that this is a major project, so that price is probably not out of line. However, the thing about doing it yourself is that as you go along, you'll definitely see other things that you want to do (hoses, wiring, clamps, etc, etc). If someone else is doing the project, they'll either keep upping the cost (naturally), or they'll just turn a blind eye. So yes, if you have the ability, do it yourself.

Clive

Eri
#40 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/09 - 7:45 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Harley,

If you have any kind of mechanical abilities this is a doable job. You can look at my pics to see what you are getting into. As neglected as my boat seems to have been the tank was spotless inside and only minor corrosion on the outside. You will need a sawzall to cut the foam around the tank which is probably the hardest part. The tank cover is very heavy, maybe 150 to 200 pounds. If it is like mine was you may want to do some repairs to that as well. I just replaced mine with wood. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Fortunately I had a body shop to work out of so it made things a little easier. I would recommend refoaming in place with some Greatstuff. There are rubber strips under the tank to leave a gap in there. If you have an air compressor pressure test yourself. Not hard. Good luck.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 19, 2024 - 12:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.36 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,514,656 unique visits