View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
drive shaft bushing wd40 or silicon
waco72
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 6:39 AM

Comments: 0

I think I isolated the squeaking noise in my engine to the drive shaft after doing some more research. From what it seems like it needs to be lubricated. What do you think would be the best type of lubricant, just WD40 or silicon or do you think it needs something different? I have seen both recommended in different places. thanks

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 7:07 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Is the drive shaft exposed to the elements?

Spray some WD-40 on there and see if that helps. When you're done with spraying WD-40 on your drive shaft, spray a little on your fishing worms and hold on tight to the pole because that stuff works great as a fish attractant. ;-)

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

RevengeFamily
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 7:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Hey WaCo72,

Not sure what kind of or type of engine you have. Cars and trucks have drive shafts. I believe you are speaking of your crankshaft?. The crank on smaller engines has bearings on either end. They should not need external lubrication. If it is the top of the crank I would consider taking it to a certified dealer before more damage is done. However I would not suspect your crank.

Norm

Mr T
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 7:39 AM
Personal Page

First off, keep in mind that WD 40 is not a lubricant. I’m not sure either what drive shaft you are referring to either. If you can be more specific as to what shaft you are talking about, that will help.

jimmyb116
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 8:42 AM

If its a new mercury 4 stroke you are correct i hade the same problem with my 60hp took it to the dealer and they said it was the throttle body and ordered a new one (LOL) so i whent home and fixed it myself.
It squeals from the top of the drive shaft where it enters the bottom plate the powere head is mounted to. There is a small metal bushing thast it passes through and that needs lubricating. You need to remove the bottom end and drive shaft as if you are going to change the water pump grease the bushing and shaft and re-install use high presure grease like water proof wheel grease for your trailer.

waco72
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 8:43 AM

thanks for bearing with me, I'm a new boat owner and still trying to find my way around the engine. I guess it would be the crank shaft. When I raise the engine and look directly under the powerhead there is an opening where I can see the shaft spinning into the lower unit. That's where I was getting the intermittent squeaking at medium range rpms. It seems to come and go with no reason. I said in my past post that the performance has not been affected. Other people have said to spray some sort of lube in there and that the sound should go away so I figured I would try that before bringing it into the shop during the middle of summer considering we lost the whole month of June to rain here in the northeast. BTW, this has been a great site, thanks for the help

theo
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/09 - 8:51 AM
Personal Page

He's got another thread that isolates the sound to the powerhead.

WaCo, here's a thought. It could be that the stator is too close to the flywheel and is rubbing. I'm not sure what a new 4-stroke Merc looks like under there, but someone here will have a clue.

You could use a stethoscope (or a piece of garden hose) to try to pinpoint the source of the sound. HTH

Ted
1985 15' CC, 1994 60 hp Merc (Wednesday built), 5" jack plate

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 10:24 AM
Users Online
Welcome
estewartcb
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,055
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,286,867 unique visits